Midtown Real Estate

Globalarb

When I lived in Montrose between '94 and '01 I grew to hate that stretch of Elgin between Main & Westheimer. The street was horribly bumpy, none of the lights were ever timed and it seemed they were always tearing up the street and there were orange barrels and metal plates all over the place, and it stayed that way for years... I don't know if it's any better today, since i still avoid it.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to close the loop on the question of Neighborhood Protection--it is a department within the City that is responsible for enforcing city ordinances. They are now part of HPD (perhaps Public Works before that?).

They are sort of effective, but have of course a massive bureaucracy of rules that they have to follow before any real action is taken. I'm sure it is as frustrating for them as it is for residents trying to improve the city.

In my mind, they are a solution in only the worst cases.

Travelguy_73

Just to close the loop on the question of Neighborhood Protection--it is a department within the City that is responsible for enforcing city ordinances.  They are now part of HPD (perhaps Public Works before that?). 

They are sort of effective, but have of course a massive bureaucracy of rules that they have to follow before any real action is taken.  I'm sure it is as frustrating for them as it is for residents trying to improve the city.

In my mind, they are a solution in only the worst cases.

Travelguy_73

They have done a good job in my East End neighborhood (Pecan Park. ppca.50megs.com) with heavy trash and junk cars. We overwhelmed them a bit with junk cars though, we sent in a list of 60 something in just half of the neighborhood but we have seen some of the orange violation stickers on some of them. We haven't tried them out much on the weedy lots.

I hope they've touched up the sections near the intersections of the N-S streets. I drove along the repaved section from San Jac to Bagby and the road looks unfinished, with some pretty significant dips/potholes near the intersections of the N-S streets. Looked pretty ragtag and I can't imagine the city would pay for such an unfinished job.

Man, the stories I could tell on the adventures my wife and I had in Midtown.  The first thing we had stolen was a plant, and then our Christmas wreath.  Damn Grinch bum.  Too much stuff to mention. 

I caught that Vietnamese drug addict in my garage a couple of times.  He is skeleton skinny due the all the heroin he smokes.  He would ride his bike and whisper at people.  I know he stole my dust pan for sure.  Caught him trying to take part of my weed eater once.

One day I saw him wandering around.  About half an hour later, he speed out in front of me riding a $1000+ mountain bike (nice GT) and wearing a negligee and a helmet. 

I drove up and said, "you stole that bike, you stupid @##$ as I honked at him". 

He said "Eye Sawrrreee" as he rode off down McGowen to Third Ward to exchange it for and heroin.

It was surreal.  I was LMAO at him.

And don't forget that black guy who wears the hat and jeans and smiles all the time.  He's freaky deaky.  It funny when you know the bums in your hood.

I guess I am a little closer to Montrose (I live at Morgan and Drew) but I have had zero problems with crime. There have been a few freaks ring my doorbell late in the evening, but for the most part I keep my doors locked and garage doors shut and I have no had no problems.

I noticed some goings on recently:

1) Excavation work started, and survey stakes in place, on the empty block behind the large (4-5 storey, stucco, post-modern, Roman, storage warehouse, cube, thingie). . . Caroline @ Rosalie.

2) Structure on the block immediately to the south of Specs being demolised.

3) Construction fencing up, and work started on Elizabeth Baldwin park.

4) Midtown Management construction sign up at the SW corner of Fannin and Elgin. Promoting some sort of project, I drive by too quickly to be able to read the fine print.

5) Camden has a large sign w/ rendering of their "proposed" mix-use project for the Midtown superblock.

Any inside info? Ahem (clears throat) Hint, hint, "Houston Retail".

I read the same sign for item #4 aswell and wondered what was going on there.

Also on the park (#3), I saw that they had torn apart that little basketball court and some of the older rusting amenities. I might go poke my nose around there and see if anyone is talking. :)

Anyone know how old these Live Oaks are? As a rule of thumb Live Oaks usually live for about 200 years (some reports of longer) but in Houston the average seems to be a bit shorter. I forget what neighborhood it was in Houston, but they reported an average lifespan of 70-90 years. Anyone know much about this?

Anyone know how old these Live Oaks are? As a rule of thumb Live Oaks usually live for about 200 years (some reports of longer) but in Houston the average seems to be a bit shorter. I forget what neighborhood it was in Houston, but they reported an average lifespan of 70-90 years. Anyone know much about this?

I found these old postcards from ca. 1910 on the internet. I hope the owner doesn't mind. Looks like some of those young oaks could be ones still standing.

Elizabeth Baldwin Park circa 1910

Main & Gray circa 1910

Westmoreland entrance circa 1910

The fountain in the middle of the park is also engraved 1910. That's wild to see it in that first picture. Maybe they could turn it into a flower bed vs. throwing it away.

There is a newer line of treess near Elgin (50s?) and the sidewalk.

But the big monsters I am talking about are at least 90 years old.

The fountain in the middle of the park is also engraved 1910.  That's wild to see it in that first picture.  Maybe they could turn it into a flower bed vs. throwing it away.

There is a newer line of treess near Elgin (50s?) and the sidewalk.

But the big monsters I am talking about are at least 90 years old.

what fountain? in baldwin park?

McVaugh is a fairly reputable custom builder. I had never heard of this project before it was posted here.

I lived right by where that building was proposed. That sign has been there for at least two years. No activity ever occurred there. The sign was often knocked down and not put back up for months. I don't think this thing is happening.

• 2 weeks later...
I lived right by where that building was proposed.  That sign has been there for at least two years.  No activity ever occurred there.  The sign was often knocked down and not put back up for months.  I don't think this thing is happening.

I remember seeing that sign at the corner of McGowen and Helena a LONG time ago. Is it still up???

There was a huge old decrepit vacant house standing there for many years that was torn down around 1998 or so, just when the building boom was taking place around Oak Circle. I believe that sign was placed there shortly after that. So that sign has been around for at least 6 years!

I seriously doubt if that building is ever going to happen.

I always liked the rendering though. With that tall skinny tower on the front corner it reminds me of something out of a Dr. Seuss book. :)

#1: I concur with above: looks like townhomes. Don't know who is doing it.

#2: I hear this is going to be...prepare yourselves...another Walgreens. I also hear they are following the lead of CVS in their lovely urban design.

#3: I believe this is a Midtown / TIRZ sponsored rehab of the park. Those trees are approximately 150 years old (from what I have been told). This is also one of the first public parks (if not the first) in Houston.

#4: I saw this too. Not sure, but I suspect it is affiliated with Elgin street / landscaping improvements. It references transit authority money.

#5: This is a newer sign than was previously placed. Not too sure if / when they will start this. But, I would give up hope for a "McGowen Green" park. I don't think Camden would give up this tract of land.

#1:  I concur with above:  looks like townhomes.  Don't know who is doing it.

#2:  I hear this is going to be...prepare yourselves...another Walgreens.  I also hear they are following the lead of CVS in their lovely urban design.

#3:  I believe this is a Midtown / TIRZ sponsored rehab of the park.  Those trees are approximately 150 years old (from what I have been told).  This is also one of the first public parks (if not the first) in Houston.

#4:  I saw this too.  Not sure, but I suspect it is affiliated with Elgin street / landscaping improvements.  It references transit authority money.

#5:  This is a newer sign than was previously placed.  Not too sure if / when they will start this.  But, I would give up hope for a "McGowen Green" park.  I don't think Camden would give up this tract of land.

You are correct about #4...it is a MRA and FTA sponsored project to enhance the pedestrian amenities on Elgin between Main and 288. This is phase one of a multiple phase project. The life span of this phased project will cover around $13 million in pedestrian enhancements along most of the major east/west corridors in Midtown.

Enhancements are also about to begin to the neighborhood streets just north of Baldwin park...again, another first phase of redeveloping streets and pedestrian zones within the district. These improvements will include utility upgrades, street reconstruction, landscaping, sidewalks, benches and other site furnishings, and other interesting "surprises" for the pedestrian along the way. Can't wait to see it!

• The title was changed to Street Construction On Elgin St.
  • The title was changed to Midtown Real Estate