Midtown Real Estate

Globalarb

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I heard is that it was approved.

What a great success storty. Anyone remember that park in 1994 or so? It was a bad place.

When they renovated in 1999 I thought it was great. This will be even better! And the street scape plans are really needed.

But they better not damage the Live Oak on Jackson that lead into the park. Hopefully they are not that crazy.

You guys are lucky to have that park. A mature park like that, especially when the majority of people living around it are not homeless or criminals, is a centerpiece that radiates peace and vibes of desireable living outward in all directions.

In what is probably loosely tied in with this, I saw this weekend that Elgin has been scraped (at least, the eastbound side had) from Bagby to about Milam, so I take this to mean that the entire stretch from US 59 to the 527 Spur will be redone. Don't know if the sidewalks will be rehabilitated as well but the street is apparently in the process of being smoothed and repaved.

'Bout time.

In what is probably loosely tied in with this, I saw this weekend that Elgin has been scraped (at least, the eastbound side had) from Bagby to about Milam, so I take this to mean that the entire stretch from US 59 to the 527 Spur will be redone. Don't know if the sidewalks will be rehabilitated as well but the street is apparently in the process of being smoothed and repaved.

'Bout time.

I was down there earlier today looking at properties. Elgin is indeed under quite a bit of repair. I didnt see any work on the sidewalks.

I walked around Baldwin Park for awhile. Kind of sad. Beautiful trees. No maintenance of the grass. Empty sand box. No swings on the swings. Nice jogging trail though if you can stand a 1/10th of a mile loop.

I'm still not sold on the area.

Oh yeah almost forgot. What is that Ventara @ Midtown over at 4001 Fannin. Damn thats ugly. Are they going to paint the top of that thing or leave it that nasty yellow color? Rental, I'm assuming. Its like 8 stories high.. what a behemoth. It takes up the whole block between San jac and Fannin. *shudder*

'Bout time.

Is it gonna be concrete or a tar finish?

Looks like tar again.

The scraping goes all the way down McGownen to 59 as well.

This is long overdue. I just hope the Eglin Cooridor is in the mix. It sounded like a nice gateway from UH to Midtown.

Now if the city can get the ball going on tearing down those burnt out houses near Riverside Medical Center, you won't even recognize that street.

Does anyone know if the rennovation of Baldwin park is being actively planned?  And if so, when the pavillion, walkways, ets are going in?  Last I saw it was broadly targeted for 2005. 

http://www.houstonmidtown.com/dev_cmsFiles...per_3rdQ-04.pdf

That's a great park for picnicing.  Usually it's just my wife and I, and bike cops.

This newsletter reminded me that the Houston Technology Center is going to have an expansion this year.

Yea, and Camden is gonna mess that up with their Superblock Apartment, creating even more than a wall between each side of the tracks.

Who needs the Berlin Wall, when you have super apartments like Midtown?

I don't remember, how many stories will Camden be? I think, little by little, the residential towers will fill in a lot of Midtown, being it's so prime for skyline gazing, and that Camden will eventually be rendered insignificant.

Yea, and Camden is gonna mess that up with their Superblock Apartment, creating even more than a wall between each side of the tracks.

Who needs the Berlin Wall, when you have super apartments like Midtown?

I live on the east side of midtown and would love to see more retail & foot traffic along main street there. Ideally (for myself at least) east midtown will develop primarily residentially + parks, with retail and commercial space thriving nearby (Main street/west side). The retail opportunities at the superblock seem promising....

Well, was the existing Camden built before the midtown craze?

Yes - and it predates the Post property.

The proposal Camden initially released for the superblock said the property would be mixed use with space for offices and retail. I haven't seen anything that indicates that plan has changed.

Oh yeah almost forgot. What is that Ventara @ Midtown over at 4001 Fannin. Damn thats ugly. Are they going to paint the top of that thing or leave it that nasty yellow color? Rental, I'm assuming. Its like 8 stories high.. what a behemoth. It takes up the whole block between San jac and Fannin. *shudder*

Ventana is a rental property and has been open for several years. The yellow is the color it was built with and will probably have for a few more years until it's time to repaint.

The place is built out of concrete. One of their big selling points is how soundproof the units are. My apartment locator's take on it was that if we ever get hit with a nuclear bomb it will probably be the only thing still standing in the area. The units are pretty nice and well finished, and the property has fully enclosed and climate controlled corridors. But I'm not a big fan of the yellow and the blocks surrounding the property still leave a lot to be desired.

The key word with Midtown overall is patience. West Midtown is in pretty good shape and the east side has already experienced the initial stages of build up. The middle of it, from about Milam to San Jacinto, is what's most in need of attention, IMO.

And that's good news about Baldwin Park, 'Coog.

I drove to west Midtown for the first time today. Actually, it was the first time I was east of Kirby Drive on Westheimer. From Tattoo Parlors to upscale restaurants, that part of Westheimer is indeed pretty eclectic. Since it was Saturday evening, every other restaurant/bar seemed packed. In Midtown, I covered Brazos, Smith and Bagby between Elgin and Gray, and returned to Kirby via Gray. It is easy to tell the area is in transition. At one point, you are in a dense urban region of new townhomes/condos/apartments and then suddenly you see vacant lots, warehouses and old houses. It doesn

I work at the HCCS building on Main and Elgin, I have been here for 4 years and I in the past 4 years the city has torn up and redone the same stretch of Elgin at least 3 times..anyone have any idea why? It's very frustrating everytime you turn around the streets are being torn up. Just wondering if anyone had any info as to why.

Yeah Downtown can get pretty crazy on friday and saturday nights. Not as hopping as 6th street in Austin but still rather active.

So like someone asked above what are the limits of midtown? I45 on the north and east, 59 on the south, where is the transition from midtown to montrose? Main? Bagby? For that matter, where does montrose end heading west? Shepherd?

The only work on Elgin in the last four years has been construction on the streets crossing Elgin as part of the MetroRail and Metro Transit Streets projects. Elgin between those intersections had not really been redone in many years and badly needed this repaving work.

I am always amazed at the people who complain about temporary construction projects that last a few weeks or months that result in a nice, smooth, rebuilt street. Sure the construction is a hassle, but please don't tell me you'd rather have a bumpy, crumbling street that will damage your car if you drive over it faster than 20 MPH. And Elgin was in about that shape in several of the blocks currently being worked on.