Midtown Real Estate

Globalarb

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A place I worked used to have a lot of above-ground cabling running across the campus (sort of like telephone or cable TV lines). These tanks would feed nitrogen into those lines to force the oxygen out. Without oxygen, the cables wouldn't rust inside.

Asked my brother-in-law, who's some kind of engineer (electronics? he works a lot with radio) and received this reply:

Interesting question! My first thought upon reading your message was

that the

nitrogen was used for pressurizing the telephone cables. I went on

line and

found this link to a picture:

http://www.hollenback.net/index.php/NyOfficeNitrogenTanks

Do they look like these?

In days of yore, telephone signals were sent via coaxial cable over

long

distances. In order to prevent water from getting into the cable at

connection

points, the cable was typically pressurized by a dry inert gas to keep

a

positive pressure inside the cable. Nitrogen is used extensively for

this, as

is sulfur hexafluoride. If you follow the hose from the tank up the

pole you

should see it go into some type of fitting attached to a fat black or

aluminum-colored cable.

It may be that some areas of Houston still have coaxial cable in their

local

telephone systems, although I would have thought that everything would

have been

converted to fiber optic cable by now. It also might be the cable TV

system as

they also use coax cable.

The tanks in the picture (link) are unfamiliar to me so I don't know

what kind

of pressure to expect. If the tanks are about 5 feet tall and look

like welding

tanks then it's possible to have as much as 2000 psi in them.

As far as hazards go, the only real problem might occur if a tank is

toppled

over and the valve broken off. In this situation the tank becomes a

rocket or

torpedo with incredible results. Like going through concrete walls,

etc.

In reading the on-line resources it appears that some of the phone

network still

uses coaxial cable and that these are deteriorating over time. It may

be that

additional pressurization is required because of known leaks.

LAguy...i'm not waving a flag cheering for one or the other. I could personally care less, as long as I can still get my dvds this way.

Bottom line truth: don't expect brick/mortar to stick around and survive. It isn't gonna happen. Whether it's BBV or NF, my point is that this mode of exchange is far better and has more survivability in today's market.

I hadn't noticed these until reading this thread yesterday. Then this afternoon while headed home on MetroRail I noticed two of them connected to a SBC utility cabinet on Fannin at MacGregor, on the south side of Hermann Park. Now I'll probably be seeing these things all over the city since I know to look for them.

Netflix also has more than twice the selection of the average Hollywood Video or Blockbuster, and it's rare I have problems getting a movie I want when I want it. I like a lot of independent and gay/lesbian films, and those can be hard to find at the traditional video stores. Besides, with Netflix I don't ever have to make a trip to the store. That alone is worth paying a couple of extra bucks a month.

And I love their software. If you've been rating all of the movies you rent, the system "learns" what you like based on your rental history and ratings and starts to suggest films you may have never heard of that you'll probably like. After over two years as a Netflix customer, I find this to work really well. I've rented several outstanding selections I wouldn't have even known about otherwise.

Netflix did go up in price about $2 back in June, but $23.80 a month for unlimited DVDs with three out at a time, no late fees, no shipping fees, and delivery right to my door is not bad. And some of my friends love that I have the service because they get invited over to see films they've been trying to find at Blockbuster for ages.

I'll never use Net Flix, either. It's not my thing. I don't pay my bills online either, there ;-)

And check out a Video Store in the burbs - their buisness is far from hurting. And Block Buster continues to open new stores.

A small "arthouse" theater like the Aurora Picture Show is the way to go for Midtown.

That would be nice, but with Rice Media Center, MFA Film, and Greenway less than five miles away, competition would be tough.

re: Netflix - do you ever have problems with movies that are unavailable for long periods of time? As I understand it, you make a list of movies you'd like to see, and they send whatever is in stock.

I've mentioned this before (on the previous forum) but it bears repeating: Cactus Records on Shepherd at W. Alabama has a great selection, especially for gay/lesbian, foreign, art house and classic films.

If my observations are welcome, of course I'll be happy to contribute what I can. In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not an 'official' Midtown resident (I live just west of Spur 527),  but I frequent Midtown on a daily basis.

midtown_resident, you had mentioned on another thread that you were interested in forming or joining a Midtown neighborhood association. The blog seems like a good start. The greatest hurdle IMO is getting the word out. Surely many of our neighbors would welcome an opportunity to address the concerns of those who live in Midtown; it's a matter of reaching them. The internet has great potential to bring people together; for better or worse, it too suffers from sprawl. For all I know, there are already people having parallel discussions on other websites.

A solution that comes to mind is old-fashioned and tedious, which is to blanket the neighborhood with flyers. This is the way other neighborhood associations were formed, and it's effective, expensive and a lot of hard work. An alternative is to Google our little hearts out, and 'spam' anyone who mentions Midtown concerns on other boards or usergroups.

Maybe we can use Google to our own advantage. I just Googled "midtown neighborhood association" houston and came up with...nothing. If we repeat Midtown Neighborhood Association, in Houston, often enough, Google will see that we're saying Midtown Neighborhood Association and will respond to anyone who is searching for Midtown Neighborhood Association in Houston.

It worked! The above post can be accessed by typing "midtown neighborhood association" houston in Google. Here's hoping people do so, and respond...

re: Netflix - do you ever have problems with movies that are unavailable for long periods of time? As I understand it, you make a list of movies you'd like to see, and they send whatever is in stock.

I've mentioned this before (on the previous forum) but it bears repeating: Cactus Records on Shepherd at W. Alabama has a great selection, especially for gay/lesbian, foreign, art house and classic films.

I haven't had a problem getting any movies on my list - and that includes new releases. I've been enormously pleased with the process. I was a big doubter before i did it....

Anyone here who has doubts...should just try it for free for a month.

BTW...if you sign up through the continental airlines frequent flyer site, you can get 1000 onepass miles...for those that care!

Well for me. I don't need video rentals anymore. I rather buy then rent. Besides, I get my movies before blockbuster and hollywood video, and no it's not bootleg. It's a legit copy like you buy at the retail stores. I sells them for $10. The movies that is out in theaters now, I can get them with perfect quality. So for me, renting movies is out of the question, anyway, I thought blockbuster is losing money, cause I read an article on internet that people rather buy then rent. Majority of people now going to Nextfilx, but blockbuster is trying to do the same too like Nextfilx.

In over two years as a Netflix customer, only twice has a DVD that was at the top of my list not shipped to me because it was out of stock. And when that's happened, I've still received it on my next shipment. It does happen but it's very rare.

Thanks for all the comments re; Netflix.

Last night after waiting in line for about 30 minutes at Hollywood Video, who only staffed two teenagers on a Friday night (which is not fair to the kids working there or to the customers), and paying late charges because a movie was returned a hour late last time, I told the family we are switching to Netflix. Can't wait! :D

This latest adventures in renting videos was actually just the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak, Cinco. I had heard about Netflix and after reading the favorable comments made by many of members here, decided to give it a try. I guess I just have a low level of tolerance for antiquated methods, and trust me, waiting 30 minutes in a line is not worth the hassle when something better is available. Kinda like you and the Metro bus, huh? :P

I can definitely see the benefits of NetFlix. Especially if you have kids who like to watch alot of movies. (I don't but that's what I hear from friends who have kids) This way, you have a constant flow of new movies and you don't have to make room for their storage in your house.

The Blockbuster near me is awful. It's a choice between Spanish movies and big Hollywood blockbusters (hence the name I guess.)

Someone mentioned Cactus for movies. Their selection is awesome but sometimes hard to find on DVD. Also, you can't rent a whole bunch of movies at one time because their due date is so short. The price is right though, and if you live near Cactus, it's a great alternative to the typical Hollywood drivel.

Another advantage for Netflix - as of November 1, prices are going down several dollars! I just saw this when logging into my account. The standard, 3 at a time plan is going to be $17.99, a $4 reduction in the current price, and $2 cheaper than the plan was before the price increase this summer.

Does Netflix charge you the same fee no matter how many movies you rent? Seems like you would have to plan ahead for what movie you want. I go more spur of the moment.

Just went to Hollywood for the first time. The selection looked even better than Cactus, although it was packed.