Houston Methodist Outpatient Center At 6445 Main St.

frid

This building is freakin amazing but I wish it were at least 200ft taller. Is there a height restriction around there due to all of the helicopters flying around all the time? That would make sense since all of the buildings in TMC are all fairly short.

The Methodist Inpatient Building is short and stubby, with huge floorplates, but it is already about 1.5 million square feet, making it larger in those terms than all but a handful of buildings in Houston. By comparison, the 75-story Chase and 71-story Wells Fargo buildings downtown are each in the vicinity of two million square feet.

• 2 weeks later...

Not only does it look nice, but my eight-week-old baby was born here. Fantastic care, by the way. I do wish parking was a little cheaper (or that they'd validate!) though. It's impossible to find free parking anywhere within two miles unless it's between six and ten on Sunday night, and even then it's a trek to rival Amundsen's journey.

Here's a blog post from Haynes Whaley detailing the installation of the last part of the spire trio atop what they call the "tiara".

The post should be checked for a few things, one of which is the figure given for the height. I'm pretty sure it should read 465'-6" instead of 565', since it's 476' to the top of St Luke's twin spires and it certainly isn't taller than that.

http://hwablog.com/blog/2009/07/the-methodist-hospital-outpatient-care-center-completes-its-crown/

Edited by ChannelTwoNews
  • Like 2

Here's a blog post from Haynes Whaley detailing the installation of the last part of the spire trio atop what they call the "tiara".

The post should be checked for a few things, one of which is the figure given for the height. I'm pretty sure it should read 465'-6" instead of 565', since it's 476' to the top of St Luke's twin spires and it certainly isn't taller than that.

http://hwablog.com/blog/2009/07/the-methodist-hospital-outpatient-care-center-completes-its-crown/

I think you should probably take another look.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

11558_hr.jpg

Renderings for the inpatient phases are up on KPF's web site, along with description:

http://www.kpf.com/project.asp?T=5&ID=299

The Methodist Hospital North Campus Expansion is intended to be the first step in the replacement of major elements of the Methodist Hospital on its existing urban site in the Texas Medical Center.

Phase I involves the design of a new diagnostic treatment space for the hospital’s premier centers of excellence in Neurology and Cardiology and a new Emergency Department (ED), which will facilitate important adjacencies to the new centers. Phase I will also create patient space to support 280 acute and intensive care beds, and is designed to accommodate plans for future expansion up to 580 beds in Phase II.

The project aims to create a building that reads as “complete” after Phase I, while still easily accommodating these future expansion needs. From a design standpoint, the project aims to dramatically change the outdated image of the Methodist Hospital through a design that architecturally coordinates the expansion with that of the adjacent Research Institute (also designed by KPF), thus dramatically transforming the presence of the hospital on Bertner Avenue.

Our design achieves this in several ways: first, by creating a welcoming front door that leads to a large public atrium; second, by carefully planning wayfinding that enables clear and easy circulation through the new complex for patients, visitors, and staff; and finally by linking major public spaces and maximizing access to natural light.

Interesting how they leave a small openning along Betner for tiny view of Dunn Tower. Dunn Tower was supposed to be TMH's premier addition, and it's look to the future. The building was designed to have ten additional floors added when expansion was needed. Interesting how that vision has been discarded for this massive look of glass wall.

How is it that KPF is the architect, but WHR is listed as the architect of record? Is this some sort of joint venture?

Anyone remember the old Institute of Religion building that occupied part of the site, and the bell tower that rang out music at certain times of the day? (Especially at Christmas). The bell tower basement is still there, because the remaining fountain's pumps are located inside. Parts of an old interlocking tunnel system remain underground also. These tunnels once connected, TWU, Methodist (Fondren/Brown), Insitute of Religion, Favrot Tower and an older dormitory where Garage 7 sits. The connections were all sealed off after Tropical Storm Allison.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • The title was changed to Houston Methodist Outpatient Center At 6445 South Main St.
  • The title was changed to Houston Methodist Outpatient Center At 6445 Main St.

I went for a short walk along South Main Street (now simply called Main Street) and the wall signage for the Houston Methodist Outpatient Center reminded me of something you would see in a downtown CBD.  Impressive!

DJiJ3ae.jpeg

Another photo opportunity today.  One of the tower cranes for Houston Methodist's Centennial Tower with the OC in the background.

9xOefNI.jpeg