Houston Methodist Outpatient Center At 6445 Main St.

frid

• 2 weeks later...

Great pic, Photo! I take it this was taken from the new Memorial Hermann?

Also, if you haven't seen it from street level, this thing is H-U-G-E. The tower/glass portion is smaller than the overall footprint. It has ONE MASSIVE parking garage that seems to take up more than a full block. In fact, I think a street might travel under the building... at least, that's what it appeared to be last night.

• Like 1

Yes, this base is massive and quite frankly, ugly as hell. Its so impersonal at street level on the main street side. Theres no retail, no windows, no doors. Just one massive white block. I was thinking, WTF were they thinking making it feel like a giant white wall plopped down on main street. Oh well.

And yes that was taken from the new tower. Ive always wanted to go up there and the top floor is just doctors offices with waiting rooms and big windows. Im pretty sure anyone can walk up there and nobodies going to ask questions because they will just assume youre a patient.

Edited by photolitherland

Yeah, the garage is massive, looks like it could be 50% of the building!

The building is very interesting to see close up. Those white "stripes" in the photo about half way up the building are actually some sort of arms which are separate from the building and extend from the white part on the right over the glass. It is kind of hard to explain but it looks very cool when I ride by on the Metro Rail each morning.

This Webcam: http://oxblue.com/pro/open/mccarthy/andersoncancercenter I circled it in red for ya.

UniversityofTexasMDAndersonCance-1.jpg

Thats a better view of the building! I wonder if the lighting will stay, and if it will change colors like the Memorial Hermann Building.

EDIT: Looking at the Webcam I posted, the lighting started coming on at night since May 28th and Blue seems to be the only color.

Edited by UpuPUp!
  • Like 1

Went to the Rice baseball game last night and had beautiful sunset views of this building. The crown (well, in this case it's a bit more like a tiara) is taking shape, and really enhances the look. The new Rice Collaborative Research Center is nearly complete too -- and it's looking much better to me than it did in renderings (IMHO). Both make attractive additions to the Med Center skyline!

It's pretty crazy that neither of the tallest two buildings in this photo existed when I moved to Houston 3 years ago. Actually the Memorial Hermann tower was under construction but not yet complete.

I went to the Rice games yesterday as well. I went out to the Left Field Hill and really enjoyed the views. The Linbeck sign on the Collaborative Bldg was a nice touch too... "Go Owls!"

As a Rice baseball season ticket holder, I was there as well. Watching the Methodist Inpatient building rise has been quite entertaining. The number of cranes visible from my seat always shocks me....in a good way

on another note: watching Rice baseball games is truly one of the best bangs for your buck if you're a baseball fan in Houston. More people are starting to realize that, including a ton of non Rice-grads. If the Astros continue their poor play, maybe Rice will become more of Houston's "team".

This Webcam: http://oxblue.com/pro/open/mccarthy/andersoncancercenter I circled it in red for ya.

UniversityofTexasMDAndersonCance-1.jpg

Thats a better view of the building! I wonder if the lighting will stay, and if it will change colors like the Memorial Hermann Building.

EDIT: Looking at the Webcam I posted, the lighting started coming on at night since May 28th and Blue seems to be the only color.

FWIW No blue lighting tonight on the webcam at 11.40pm, wonder if there is going to be permanent lighting...

They were probably just testing it out. AFAIK, the structure on top is not 100% complete yet.

methodist_002.jpgs 2 or 3 spires.
DSC05261.jpg

I love the way this building looks. However, I am a little bit disappointed they only stuck a few glass windows on the parking structure, instead of having more glass in the rendering.

• Like 2

Pretty soon I think all buildings in the med center will be of the "4 office floors sitting on top of 25 floors of parking" form because:

There will always be sick people.

Most are from out of town and dont know other free places to park.

They can charge exorbitant rates.

Edited by LTAWACS