Houston Methodist Outpatient Center At 6445 Main St.

frid

While this sounds great, just so you know, we can't post entire news articles here.

a summery and a link will do, but thanks for the info. :)

Actually, this is a press release and not an article.

Methodist wants the publicity, whereas the Chronicle wants website hits, so it shouldn't cause any copyright problems or complaints. In fact, Methodist may prefer that the release be posted word-for-word, rather than sloppily paraphrased.

• 1 month later...
Demolition has begun of the old TWU buildings in the TMC across from BCM to make way for the potential methodist inpatient expansion site.

Are they going to demolish the tower, or just the garage?

They just built a new driveway for the tower, so I'm wondering why, if it was slated for rubble.

Are they going to demolish the tower, or just the garage?

They just built a new driveway for the tower, so I'm wondering why, if it was slated for rubble.

I thought they are demoing both buildings. They have already stripped the inside of the buildlings, and I have seen crews that looked like they were going to tear the buildingds down, but maybe I'm wrong.

I thought they are demoing both buildings. They have already stripped the inside of the buildlings, and I have seen crews that looked like they were going to tear the buildingds down, but maybe I'm wrong.

well, I have a front row seat to whatever happens. Hopefully it'll be interesting. I won't have any tears if they demolish the tower, it's ugly and doesn't use the site well.. I just hope the replacement has enough height.

Looks like they already started expanding Methodist Willowbrook. How much more are they planning on building. The parking lot doesn't look like it can hold much more, and what about parking spaces that this new section is taking up?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The former TWU Mary Jones Gibbs building will remain for the time being. It has been gutted and will be used for non clinical swing space. The dormitories are what is being demolished. These buildings had code and environmental issues that kept them from being renovated, even for a short period of time.

TWU is now completely moved down the street.

The former TWU Mary Jones Gibbs building will remain for the time being. It has been gutted and will be used for non clinical swing space. The dormitories are what is being demolished. These buildings had code and environmental issues that kept them from being renovated, even for a short period of time.

TWU is now completely moved down the street.

Just curious, how many floors is that building? That weird upper floor always threw me off a bit.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

What's goign on? Are they tearing something else down? Shouldn't this be in "Going Up" as construction has already started?

I am curious as to how tall it will be as well. Will it compare to the Hermann tower next door? Should make the skyline even more impressive as viewed from Rice!

379419404_c64aabbb6e_b.jpg

Edited by Jax
  • Like 2

You searched for: "methodist hospital research"Unfortunately your search didn't return any results.

Since I was going to add the floor count to the running wiki, I thought I would go ahead and make a thread, for rendering and info, for that wiki line to link to.

http://www.methodisthealth.com/cgi-bin/hmd...WS_CONTENT_TYPE

This is being built in front of the generous old hospital face, on the Bertner Ave side, where there used to be parking and a lot of spreading shade trees.

The project is unrelated except institutionally to, and somewhat better proportioned in its facade elements than, the Outpatient Care Center that is currently receiving the attention of tower cranes on the other side of the Methodist complex.

Also unrelated to the ongoing demolition, around the corner, of the old-Texas-Woman's-campus nurses' dormitory in the 1100 block of M D Anderson Blvd, a site opening up between this project and the high-profile Outpatient Center but one about which I have not seen any posting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey, I think you can finally see the beginning of the new Methodist Inpatient building from the Rice Collaborative Research Center webcam!

http://dyer.rice.edu/crc/images/crc-webcam.jpg

(you can see a bit of the construction on the upper right).

Isn't it about time somebody moved this to "Going Up"?

Edited by Jax
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'm really excited about this building. My Rice baseball season tickets look straight out at the Med Center skyline, and I counted 9 cranes visible last June. Now it may be even more. Many out of town visitors get a picturesque view of this skyline while attending Rice baseball and football games. Amazing amount of activity over there, and my guess is that it they will continue to build up as land runs short in that area.

The med center is probably the 3rd best skyline in the state, now!

• Like 1

The medical center is becoming a little surreal. I was driving by it on Saturday night and was able to actually take in the view, the view from Fannin, Main, and Bellaire was unreal. After I had turned turn on holcome from main, I was stunned by the height of the new building(s) there. I know they're planning on expanding town towards bellaire but to actually see it happening in reality is a bit breath taking in its scope.

• Like 1

Here's the webcam view as of today. The Methodist construction is in the upper left corner. The building in the center is the new Rice south plant.

gallery_3613_37_23672.jpg

Also in the background you can see the Rice collaborative research center, as well as the new medical building on Holcombe.

Edited by Jax
  • Like 1

I know they're planning on expanding town towards bellaire but to actually see it happening in reality is a bit breath taking in its scope.

Actually, they're pretty limited on how far westward along Holcombe (aka Bellaire in that stretch) they can go. Most of the new activity is pushing south along Fanning, Cambridge, and Knight.

Actually, they're pretty limited on how far westward along Holcombe (aka Bellaire in that stretch) they can go. Most of the new activity is pushing south along Fanning, Cambridge, and Knight.

Well, I meant towards the Town of Bellaire, but I know they probably wouldn't get past Kirby. I wouldn't doubt that, in the future, that might change.

I knew about Cambridge, but knight is new to me. Or perhaps my Alzheimer's finally kicked in.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here's a photo of the inpatient center construction taken from the library window at Rice with my cell phone (Sorry for the poor quality). You can see it making its mark on the skyline to the right. In the end, it should be as tall as the Memorial Hermann tower on the left.

By the way, Musicman's photo isn't the Methodist Inpatient construction, its the "life sciences plaza" on Holcombe.

By the way, could somebody move this thread to "going up"?

gallery_3613_3_10003.jpg

Edited by Jax
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Shouldn't this be in the "Going Up" section?

Anyways, here's a photo of all the cranes in that part of the TMC. You can see the Methodist building just starting to rise up behind Memorial Hermann.

2473993595_3fe85f4a6b_b.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Shouldn't this be in the "Going Up" section?

Anyways, here's a photo of all the cranes in that part of the TMC. You can see the Methodist building just starting to rise up behind Memorial Hermann.

Bob Hope* might favor the view across Hermann Park even still.

*who, asked late in his life to name the most beautiful vista he had ever seen, named the view from the top of the Warwick Hotel

That foreground is just, just wonderful.

Edited by strickn
  • Like 1