• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Luminare said:

Seems the windows being offset from the metal panel pattern was a design choice, but just not feeling it. It comes off looking like a mistake. Other than that the building looks interesting.

I personally like the angles of this. Very modern looking especially for a library.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, hindesky said:

QQI7ViL.jpg

XOAn6ya.jpg

nTZdkAV.jpg

This device was near a different building. Looks familiar, like the device on 19th St.

0VbZl6a.jpg

Like the landscaping. Thanks for the update. Moved this to "NEAR COMPLETION OR RECENT COMPLETION" on the map.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gclass said:

^^^ the DULL SMOKEY GREY EXTERIOR CLADDING upon this edifice is simply horrendous!  what on earth were the designers thinking?  it looks as if they were doing everything possible to save money on this building.  what a SHAME for the students at TSU... for they simply deserve much better in my most humble opinion.  TSU has been needing a new first-class library for like decades... and this is the absolute best that they could do?  this particular edifice is simply not going to age very well.  that very DULL EXTERIOR CLADDING IS ALREADY A DISASTER upon this brand new edifice!  simply SHOCKING!  as i gaze upon the HAIF illustrations of the brand new edifices being constructed over at UH, one can easily verify the STARK CONTRAST.  the buildings at UH are beautifully designed, wonderfully/soundfully constructed, completely enhance the surrounding areas that they are intended, and shall age very well and invite added area retail, etc. 

the MAIN CAMPUS LIBRARY upon any college/university institution should always be a complete architectural powerhouse.  the LIBRARY, as well as the MAIN ADMINISTRATION edifice,  should always in my opinion... set the overall tone of architecture within and throughout the institution.  however, this particular TSU LIBRARY looks like something derived straight out of the early 1980s.  it just could have been designed so very much better than it is in my view.  there are certain elements throughout its design that just reeks of certain large HIGH SCHOOLS throughout TEXAS!

maybe/hopefully at some point, our GLORIOUS HAIF PHOTOGRAPHERS can get inside and snap some interior illustrations for us.  one can only PRAY that they are much better and much more representative of the wonderful students and faculty at TSU.  GO TIGERS GO!      

I'm a long time lurker and very rare commenter but I just can't let this go by without saying something Gclass. Why do you think the students will necessarily have the same opinion of the building finishes as you?  I've seen some of your comments praising some buildings I think are horrendous but that doesn't mean everyone thinks the same that I do.  I happen to think this library looks great and I'm sure others will too...and others may not like it.  Regardless, I hardly think they'll have a huge case of the vapors as you seem to.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

Curious why they would do this to an existing building? They have done some excavation on other corners of this same building. Is the foundation failing?

Not sure actually. Do you see any of the brick veneer cracking? or any evidence of windows that have broken? 

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

I'll check next time I ride by.

It is a bit unusual at this stage of the game. Unless theres another small structure going next to it, or soemthings going with the foundations (or, depending on the construction, the slab-on-grade). I did look up the firm. 

http://powerliftfoundation.com/

They seem to specialize in foundation repair. But they do perform some new construction it seems. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2019 at 8:22 PM, hindesky said:

Jesse H Jones Building foundation repair.

TFH1arh.jpg

Library looks almost complete.

Theyre definitely doing something with the foundations. You can see the top of the pier exposed and all the grade beams. I dont see any distress from the photos however. Interesting. Wonder what manifested so late in the project. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...