Hyatt Regency At 1200 Louisiana St.

northbeaumont

I also had posted this in the Sheraton topic here, but the Hyatt isn't expanding. They already own the Sheraton building, and according to the Houston Business Journal they are selling it for redevelopment as hotel rooms, residential, or both. Of course, this made it to HAIF a few weeks ago. :P I noticed a couple of weeks ago that some lights had been rigged inside the ground floor of the Sheraton building, so I figured someone was poking around in there.

A few years ago it wasn't a rumor. The Hyatt bought the property seriously intending to expand into it. The two buildings would have been connected by a skybridge over Louisiana.

Well, I was talking to a couple of employees that have been there for quite some time and it seems that the rumors have been getting more frequent. In light of the surveying that I saw a few months back, it's not totally out of the question, but I have nothing firm on this but just rumor which is a bit irritating.

Anyone know how long a market study of this magnitude would take? I could see it taking 18 months to two years, but four seems like a long time.

The downtown hotel market became screwy once the City started subsidizing it. It's hard enough to deal with fairly large swings in business activity, but markets distorted in unpredictable ways as a result of government intervention make it that much more challenging. It's not just an issue with the City, either. The possibility of Harris County subsidy of the Astrodome convention hotel has loomed over the issue for a while now.

200px-Towering_inferno_movie_poster.jpg

Lest we forget that the SFO Hyatt Regency was used as an inspiration for the Disaster Epic film in 1975. Exterior elevators would be so cool in downtown. Hyatt was always known as as modern as you could get in hotel luxury. See the DVD.

There was a time when you rode the outside elevators at our Hyatt you could see all the way to the Astrodome area and beyond. Mostly blocked view now and it's too bad the restaurant on top doesn't revolve any more or does it? Heck, that's why people were drawn to it.

Trivia:

Exterior shots of the building were of San Francisco's Hyatt Rejency with an additional 50 stories of matte paintings added.

The building used in the film was a series of miniatures and matte paintings. Only sections of the building were actually constructed for the actors and stunt people to perform their scenes.

Edited by Vertigo58

Exterior elevators would be so cool in downtown.

Forgive my foggy memory, but doesn't the downtown Hyatt already have exterior elevators? They're not very well lit, but I've taken pictures of them, and rode them up to the Spindletop one February 15th.

Mostly blocked view now and it's too bad the restaurant on top doesn't revolve any more or does it? Heck, that's why people were drawn to it.

Was there less than a week ago.. it still functions as a restaurant and still revolves... and the view, for a restaurant, still rocks.

524869998_e952438c25.jpg

Forgive my foggy memory, but doesn't the downtown Hyatt already have exterior elevators? They're not very well lit, but I've taken pictures of them, and rode them up to the Spindletop one February 15th.

Your memory is not foggy... it has half it's elevators on the exterior.

elevators.JPG

This is what I meant. Like in the film. They slide up so gracefull.

PS, the above pic from inside the rotating restaurant is great! I know there are presently outside scenic lifts but what I meant was when we were kids we used to ride the outer lifts and there was NO Allen Center blocking the view as you went up.

DT should have more like these pictured here. Love it!

PS, the above pic from inside the rotating restaurant is great! I know there are presently outside scenic lifts but what I meant was when we were kids we used to ride the outer lifts and there was NO Allen Center blocking the view as you went up.

Thanks,

I agree, I rmember going up as a kid and obviously the view changes when buildings get added.

Though, i have to admit, I rode both the int and ext elevators this past week.. and its such a thrill to be able to see one going up so fast... you're mostly looking strait down... so, even in the ext elevators, I didnt notice not being able to see a far distance in every direction because I'm mostly looking strait down.

It wasnt until in the restaurant seeing that the views are obviously better in some parts compared to others.

... Luckily, it still revolves.

Edited by Highway6

Next time you get on the exterior lifts as soon it starts to drop jump in the air. You become airborn like an astronaut for a few seconds of cheap thrills anyway. Thats what we did back in the day. Oh yes, you have to make sure only your friends are in the cab. Otherwise you get kicked out.

As an added note the interior lifts have been the site of several suicides. Once about 22 years ago some older man jumped from the 31st floor and hits the area directly in front of the lift. The bricks popped out of the pavement and broke the glass of the lifts. It was quite horrible. Lobby had guests and everything. Kind of selfish act. Could have hurt others too. Back to topic, sorry!

There was a time when you rode the outside elevators at our Hyatt you could see all the way to the Astrodome area and beyond. Mostly blocked view now and it's too bad the restaurant on top doesn't revolve any more or does it? Heck, that's why people were drawn to it.

Seems unlikely/impossible that one was ever able to see the Astrodome from the exterior elevators at the Hyatt; from the restaurant, yes, but not from the elevators. The elevators face Smith Street, looking out in the northwesterly direction of the street grid. The Astrodome is south-southwest of downtown.

Seems unlikely/impossible that one was ever able to see the Astrodome from the exterior elevators at the Hyatt; from the restaurant, yes, but not from the elevators. The elevators face Smith Street, looking out in the northwesterly direction of the street grid. The Astrodome is south-southwest of downtown.

Trying not to stray from subject but to clarify we are talking 30 plus years ago when I commented about how we used to ride up and peer towards the dome area as we rode up the lifts. The years were about 1974-76 I was only about 13 yrs old, very thin and the inside of the elevator has or had a large wooden bar meant to lean on as you stand to gaze out. We used to hoist each other up to sit on the rail and look out the far left corner of our eye to see the dome. Hence, an adult wouldnt even dream up such a crazy notion especially with others standing around. You could only see the dome for seconds as at any moment the lift would stop to pick up other riders. Trust me it wasnt that hard to do as a teen. And no I wasn't on the Titanic or on Dealy Plaza that fateful day either. :D:blink: Maybe a relative?

Back to subject!

• 7 months later...
I heard an interesting rumor this week:

Was talking to someone who mentioned that there are two rumors going on about the old Sheraton location. One is that the Hyatt is in negotiations to buy the old sheraton to expand the amount of rooms it has and having an additional expansion over Louisiana street. The other possibility is that they ARE going to do a conversion of that property in some sort of residential space.

I have mentioned about 6 months ago that I saw some people taking a very casual survey of the exterior of the Hyatt DT and then a few weeks later a more detailed survey. So there might be some truth, but at this moment it's all speculation.

Apparently it's no rumor. On page D1 in today's Houston Chronicle it says that Hyatt's owners are "pumping $35 into the property for more meeting space, a new restaurant and guest room renovations."

Apparently it's no rumor. On page D1 in today's Houston Chronicle it says that Hyatt's owners are "pumping $35 into the property for more meeting space, a new restaurant and guest room renovations."

Just to be clear, it's 35 million being pumped. ^_^

"The owners of downtown's Hyatt Regency Houston are pumping $35 million into the property for more meeting space, a new restaurant and guest room renovations.

There will 960 rooms remodeled with wood furnishings and flat-panel TVs.

On the sixth floor, 30 guest rooms will be retrofitted into nine meeting rooms and three boardrooms, adding to the hotel's 64,000 square feet of meeting space. And a Shula's American Steakhouse will replace the hotel's two lobby-level restaurants."

link to article

• Like 1

Well apparently, it was nothing more than a silly rumor (perhaps a bit more than just a rumor, but very outdated... the proposed Hyatt expansion into the Sheraton was in the news several years back).

In any event this new remodel announcement is not at all similar or in any way related to the "rumored" expansion into the old Sheraton building.

• Like 1

Well apparently, it was nothing more than a silly rumor (perhaps a bit more than just a rumor, but very outdated... the proposed Hyatt expansion into the Sheraton was in the news several years back).

In any event this new remodel announcement is not at all similar or in any way related to the "rumored" expansion into the old Sheraton building.

From the brochure that I picked up at the Texas Tourist Bureau:

"Located in the heart of downtown, Hyatt Regency Houston offers sophisticated elegance, luxurious accommodations and state-of-the-art amenities in a setting of unparalleled convenience."

The Hyatt Regency probably made a lot of money from ENRON executives before that company folded.

• Like 1

Does anyone remember some of the background on the Hyatt designers/architects?

Back in the early 70's Hyatt Hotels were well known for being state of the art ultra modern and luxurious. I think there was a TV special (60 Minutes maybe) back then that interviewed the draftsmen and they explained the renderings and strategy involved.

It came to a sudden halt after that horrible disaster in Kansas City in 1981. Overhead walkway started to give under the heavy weight of patrons. Seemed like just yesterday. Was pretty bad scene.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_Regency_walkway_collapse

• Like 1

Does anyone remember some of the background on the Hyatt designers/architects?

Back in the early 70's Hyatt Hotels were well known for being state of the art ultra modern and luxurious. I think there was a TV special (60 Minutes maybe) back then that interviewed the draftsmen and they explained the renderings and strategy involved.

It came to a sudden halt after that horrible disaster in Kansas City in 1981. Overhead walkway started to give under the heavy weight of patrons. Seemed like just yesterday. Was pretty bad scene.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_Regency_walkway_collapse

I remember the name John Portman. I think he designed at least some of the Hyatt Regency atrium hotels. And wasn't the Houston one the first of those?

• Like 1

And wasn't the Houston one the first of those?

I believe you are correct. Hyatt Hotel's were the inspration and filming of interiors for famous films like Towering Inferno. Just love those glass scenic elevators. The center lounging area is what really grabs me. When you sit on one of the lobby couches you could fall asleep. Very cozy and calming.

• Like 1

I believe you are correct. Hyatt Hotel's were the inspration and filming of interiors for famous films like Towering Inferno. Just love those glass scenic elevators. The center lounging area is what really grabs me. When you sit on one of the lobby couches you could fall asleep. Very cozy and calming.

and also, I believe, the movie "High Anxiety"

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
I think the gilded age is generally considered as having been called so because it was really more about style than substance

Yep. Mark Twain coined the term in a book he co-wrote in 1873, titled The Gilded Age. It was during the post-Civil War industrial boom, when a lot of fortunes were made overnight, and people who didn't have money tried to look like they did (and people who had money tried to look like they had more).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yeah, Hyatt is definately undergoing a huge renovation. I want to say I heard it was 40 million?

They ripped out Ducks and Company and are combining it with the other lobby restaurant to create one large restaurant. It is going to be a Shula's Steak House which is a chain that is hotels.

Anyway, the lobby bar is going to be moved to the Window Box. I assume that will create an open lobby? Its such a huge space though, so I don't really know what they will do with it.

And as far as the rooms go, I hear they are going to be getting total over halls. Apparently, some rooms still have carpet in the bathrooms! But they are going to be getting LCD televisions and all that jazz. It kinda looked like platform beds also? I'm not sure.

And referring back to the Window Box being the place to be seen, the whole Hyatt was in general. They used to also have a Jazz club in what is now the "Recency Room." The Hyatt really is a neat hotel to sit in. It is always teaming with activity. The bar will be packed, the lobby restaurant jamming, people scurrying up and down the escalators to the ball rooms, and people checking in and out. There isn't really another hotel in Houston where you see all that action going on from one place.

• Like 1