I am kinda conflicted on this issue but leaning towards agreeing with whatever gets UH to Tier 1 status. If that means becoming more research intensive then go that route however I would like to see the enrollment numbers after the tuition hike and gauge its impact.

The Hardy Rail Yard campus is a great idea midtown coog and metro's intermodal is planned for the area as well. Man the city and UH needs to start thinking big as you say. I imagine that the campus and area would be vibrant. Ahh.... dreamy!!!!

I really do see the other UH campuses being able to fill the needs.

UT and A&M are close to capacity and fully funded with limited results on a national scale.

Not only do UH and Houston need to think big, but so do our small minded state legislators.

As far as the tuition hike, I think it comes to $245 at 15 hours. $245 is not going to keep anyone out of college unless they are looking for an excuse to drop out.

I really do see the other UH campuses being able to fill the needs.

UT and A&M are close to capacity and fully funded with limited results on a national scale.

Not only do UH and Houston need to think big, but so do our small minded state legislators.

As far as the tuition hike, I think it comes to $245 at 15 hours. $245 is not going to keep anyone out of college unless they are looking for an excuse to drop out.

The kids complain and complain so much that the cost of tuition is so much higher than it was 4-5 years ago (It is.) But UH is still way behind UT and A&M in Cost of Education.

Any tuition hikes should come from out of staters.

I think making it a Tier 1 research university will be good for the city overall...it won't affect undergrad selectivity too much (or, at least, it shouldn't) because most of the research that they are talking about happens at the graduate level. It will be harder for grad students to get into, but they come from all over the world anyway so that won't affect us locally.

MOst likely you'll see a few more interdisciplinary institutes, and maybe expanded departments, but for the average high school kid I don't think this stuff will be detrimental. IF anything the future of U of H will be better for the typical undergrad since it seems like they are sincerely trying to increase quality of life amenities (more on campus housing, parking, rec center, etc) and are making it easier for low-income students to commute to (more transit options).

Edited by N Judah

Make UH Tier 1 and expand UHD for student throughput. UH is hard to access by transit and parking is already a pile of suck.

The university line is getting close to construction, and so is the second parking garage. The new grad apartments are looking good too. Times are a changin' at UH.

The university line is getting close to construction, and so is the second parking garage. The new grad apartments are looking good too. Times are a changin' at UH.

I really would like to share your enthusiasm for the U-Line but until they are breaking ground on either on the new rail routes I am not expressing my optimisim.

I really would like to share your enthusiasm for the U-Line but until they are breaking ground on either on the new rail routes I am not expressing my optimisim.

Received an email the other day and it looks like the new end zone facility for Robertson stadium is getting a lot of attention. The email attaches a link to a survey and wanted some feedback. I am placing it here just in case someone wants take it. It also has some cool renderings of the facility as you go along.

http://www.customintercept.com/surveys/web/uhrenovation.htm

I would guess construction would have to start after football season but there is the Dynamo's season afterwards. Any ideas about the start date?

• 1 month later...
UH System Board Chairman W. Wilson Sr., UH President Renu Khator and Dean Arthur Warga watch as Michael J. Cemo gives another go with the shovel at the official groundbreaking ceremony for the new Michael J. Cemo Hall at the University of Houston.

http://www.chron.com/community/photogaller...to_gallery.html

Wow!

Picked up a pizza at the new Pizza Hut about a block from the old one on Calhoun and the whole landscape has changed. What an improvement!

Most of the old parking lots are going away for good and there are several buildings and or garages going up. Got to see to believe. :)

Wow!

Picked up a pizza at the new Pizza Hut about a block from the old one on Calhoun and the whole landscape has changed. What an improvement!

Most of the old parking lots are going away for good and there are several buildings and or garages going up. Got to see to believe. :)

Yep... it definitely makes UH a fun place to work.

The wellness center is amazing! Huge, clean, new, the very best equipment, full size natatorium, and outdoor pool like you'd see at a hotel.I was able to get a membership through my BF who works at UH, so I have a place to work out on the weekends when my company gym is closed.

All that for $22 a month!

I was able to get a membership through my BF who works at UH,
Yep... it definitely makes UH a fun place to work.

Why weren't we made aware that you guys were dating?! Is this out first relationship born out of HAIF?

It's love!

Edited by lockmat

Why weren't we made aware that you guys were dating?! Is this out first relationship born out of HAIF?

It's love!

Cute. :D

Actually, you never know what trysting may go on behind the scenes here at HAIF...... :ph34r:

Why do you think we do our drinking at such crappy hole-in-the-wall bars, away from prying eyes of upstanding citizens? ;)

Cute. :D

Actually, you never know what trysting may go on behind the scenes here at HAIF...... :ph34r:

Why do you think we do our drinking at such crappy hole-in-the-wall bars, away from prying eyes of upstanding citizens? ;)

Well there are only a handful of gals it seems, so that narrows the possible field. I once thought it'd be cool/funny to have some sort of HAIF dating feature, but then I realized I probably wouldn't be compatible with anyones criteria.

I see theaters, shopping and entertainment in this very spot for the future.

Must have had some do some research of how other popular campus' have progressed. One of the best examples of what this can be like would be UCLA campus or Westwood Village:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westwood,_Los...les,_California

http://www.seeing-stars.com/shop/westwood.shtml

It can be done, let's do it! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Houston-based Marathon Oil Corp. (NYSE: MRO) has pledged $600,000 over three years, bringing its total donations to the university since 1989 to $1 million.

I know $1 million is more money than I will ever see. . .hopefully not. B) But to make a big deal of a big oil company donating $1 million over 20 years just seems silly, especially when the first 18 years only amounted to $400,000.

It's still a generous donation, but seems a bit lacking at the same time.

It's a step in the right direction.

It is clear that the State of Texas will NOT spend the money to make UH a Tier 1 university. They will continue to fund UT and to a lesser extent, ATM and let the rest rely upon tuition increases, alumni + corporate giving, and other means.

The City of Houston NEEDS UH to improve across the board. This is a start.

Did you guys catch this article about a proposal to create one or two more "tier one" universities in Texas?

Lawmakers on Wednesday took one step closer to anointing a third public flagship by inviting leaders of Texas' seven "emerging" research institutions to pitch a case for why they should become the state's next tier one research university, and how much it would cost the state.

"We think we can do it, but we have to be really strategic," said Renu Khator, chancellor of the University of Houston System. "It's all about vision. Nobody invests in whining."

Didn't we have a $10 billion budgetary surplus last year? Seems like they could establish a fund to create 2 or 3 more tier one universities...

The seven under consideration:

University of Houston, Texas Tech University, University of North Texas, UT-Dallas, UT-Arlington, UT-El Paso, UT-San Antonio