Gone Dancing

Guest Marty

When i was a very young buck i like dancing so bad i would use my friends ( Over 21 ) I.D. to get in or have my buds knock open the back door and dance the night away and party. ;) share your late 1980's clubing experience like were you went.

Edited by Marty

Emo's, Some, NRG, Decadance(Clubland), Rich's and VERY RARELY Lizard Lounge or 6400. I did go to Hippo (the old 6400) a few times when I was underage.

I met a waitress at Hippo when I was 18 and new in town. My girlfriend, who moved here with me had gotten cold feet and moved back home for the holidays. I went to Hippo to drown my sorrows and ended up chatting up a really good looking waitress who invited me to their Christmas party. Open bar -- employees and guests only -- good time. I made out with the waitress all night. Didn't close, though. Never saw her again after. Sorrows were drowned, though.

Edited by dalparadise

I've heard the original Lizard Lounge in Houston which is not in existence anymore was owned by the same owner that has the popular Lizard Lounge club in Dallas which is very well known for its Electronic Dance Music & Goth/Industrial crowds. Next month will be Lizard Lounge Dallas' 15th year anniversary (almost an eternity in club years)

Edited by Metro Matt

The Lizard Lounge is exactly what you descibed Metro Matt. I will call my bud Flash Gordon about Club 6400 but i think you are correct Lowbrow i will find out tomorrow.

Edited by Marty

Lizard Lounge (in both cities) is/was weak. It was for the X and Capri Cigs smoking crowd. Cheesedicks.

OMG seriously! :lol:

I was 17 in '87 so it was hard to get into some places, but for the most part, I could do it. It was a big deal to go "into Houston" from Kingwood. It was awesome!

I liked 6400 early on, but ick to later. I liked Xcess better. NRG had the best music, IMHO. Numbers sorta scared me, but I guess that's why I liked it so much. I saw Nine Inch Nails there with the Jim Rose Side Show in 1987 (I think it was '87). I almost got trampled!! :blink:

Clubland, if I could get in, definitely. Decadance was harder to get into for some reason. I guess the bouncers were getting into trouble letting us in. I went to the Ocean Club ONE time. That was all that was needed.

I remember Red Square, Club Some and Power Tools. Gads, the names of these places! :lol:

Mid to late '90s I was going to Rich's all the time. Heaven, JR's, and Pacific Street too. I was a huge hag and we had quite an entourage. Lots of drinks, lots of other things. Not much to be proud of, but it was fun!

Edited by Parrothead

Decadance was harder to get into for some reason. I guess the bouncers were getting into trouble letting us in.

I tried to get into Decadance three times to no avail. At first they were lax but they got in trouble and it was zero tolerance from then on.

I liked 6400 early on, but ick to later. I liked Xcess better. NRG had the best music, IMHO. Numbers sorta scared me, but I guess that's why I liked it so much. I saw Nine Inch Nails there with the Jim Rose Side Show in 1987 (I think it was '87). I almost got trampled!! :blink:

Parrothead, do you remember the big glass bowl full of "X" at the door of Xcess when you walked in ? They were FREE ! Big 'ol Chocolate Chip wafers, not the little pills that they became after "X" became illegal.

I could tell about many a night of "drug induced" goodtimes in this town from 1987 to 1999 when I worked on and off in the clubs as a Bouncer, as a Bartender, as a Manager, but that was in a former life, and I am saving it all for my book.

• 2 months later...
Didn't the original 6400 burn down?

Yes it did.

Lizard Lounge (in both cities) is/was weak. It was for the X and Capri Cigs smoking crowd. Cheesedicks.

Maybe the Dallas one has become a bit darker since I was there.

And LOL at 6400! Although you have to give them credit for the 104 broadcasts.

It wasn't on 104 goober it was 93Q.

So when did 93Q go Country? I could have sworn 104 took over after that.

Hard to belive they still have the Q Morning Zoo. They should name it the Q Morning Barn.

Ah-a-Tookie, tookie!

93Q went country in 1991. 6400 was on from May 1988 to September 1989. 104 had The Saturday Night Power Mix Live from The Ocean Club.

You sure your not thinking of when 93Q took over the Decadance broadcast when 96.5 became Mix?

I cant believe they brought the Q-Zoo title back. Its been back for a couple of years but it still sounds wierd when I hear them say it. The morning barn is more fitting. I like that.

Edited by djrage

Too many green wafers to say for sure.

I do, however, still have all that music on vinyl!

Oh yeah me too. Never get tired of throwing down some 80s dance mixes on the turntables.

I still have most of the tapes I recorded from the broadcasts.

I wish I still had the tapes. I may have one left.

My buddy finally burned a tape to CD from Power Tools. It was from 1998 when Wax Traxx was all the rage.

You should convert those tapes!

Already working on that. Those tapes are almost 20 years old and I discovered one last night thats no longer playable :( . So I'm taking measures to preserve them now. I've been converting them to mp3 (128k) to fit one broadcast on one disc.

X-Lapse.

Y'all are bringing me back. Loved NRG, Homage/Red Square, Numbers, Power Tools, and Rich's.

Never got too into EMOS/SOME but that might have had to do with the fact my boyfriend, sister, and I had a knife pulled on us on the dance floor. Not a good high!

Now, to tell you a story that you can make fun of me forever with, one night we went out to NRG. We were all buggin' and feelin' no pain but half our crowd didn't get in (bad fakes). We were desperate to find somewhere to go dance and ended up at some 18 plus club called Club Soda out on Westheimer. Anyone remember that cheese ball factory? :)

The old record rack on Shepherd/Alabama used to have great cds from the clubs. They had some original NRG music. I miss that place. If you like that music, check out www.razormaid.com

X-Lapse.

Y'all are bringing me back. Loved NRG, Homage/Red Square, Numbers, Power Tools, and Rich's.

Never got too into EMOS/SOME but that might have had to do with the fact my boyfriend, sister, and I had a knife pulled on us on the dance floor. Not a good high!

Now, to tell you a story that you can make fun of me forever with, one night we went out to NRG. We were all buggin' and feelin' no pain but half our crowd didn't get in (bad fakes). We were desperate to find somewhere to go dance and ended up at some 18 plus club called Club Soda out on Westheimer. Anyone remember that cheese ball factory? :)

The old record rack on Shepherd/Alabama used to have great cds from the clubs. They had some original NRG music. I miss that place. If you like that music, check out www.razormaid.com

Gosh, I remember all those clubs very well. But first we would stop at La Carafe and have Purple Woo Woos. I was 16/17 and have no clue why I was served them or how I got into those clubs. I might even seen Parrot there!

I did X once and got the massive shivers.......ick. That was enough for me to never do a drug ever again.

Ah the days of Depeche Mode and "Taking a Ride" with my "Own Personal Jesus"

Edited by KatieDidIt

My buddy finally burned a tape to CD from Power Tools. It was from 1998 when Wax Traxx was all the rage.

i didn't realize power tools was still open in 98. by then they had already bulldozed the back portion. in 87 or 88 i remember the only part that was outside was under franklin the rest was enclosed. i remember there was a couple dressed like tweedle dee and tweedle dum and they pulled us into the restroom so we could help them exchange wigs. LOL