Texas Children's Hospital Pavilion For Women/TMC Garage 21 At 6651 South Main St.

feufoma

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, many new measures, and much money has been/is being spent.

All of the entrances are above 48.5', except for the loading dock which will have a flood gate. 48.5' is the elevation that all institutions in the Texas Medical Center are protecting themselves to since the 2001 flood.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, I don't remember the exact height, but I also don't think it will be very tall compared to the other construction in the TMC. The most distinguishing feature in the rendering was the funky walking bridge.

image-custom.jpg

Edited by Jax

These are the newer renderings, by FKP architects and it will be 15 stories.

maternity1_93737.jpg

maternity2_23640.jpg

The 15-story, 796,000 SF multi-use hospital includes a Maternity Center, clinic and office spaces as well as some pediatric components built over a 4-level parking garage. The Maternity Center will connect with the current TCH hospital through a multi-story pedestrian and patient bridge. The ultimate site will hold 2 million SF with two 28-story towers serving both Maternity and Pediatric patients.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any new measures, do you know, for keeping what's going down there dry in the next Allison?

There are massive permanent dewatering systems in place at the new TCH expansion to prevent future Allison type issues. Additionally, for a little trivia, the Maternity Center hole-in-the-ground is the deepest hole that's ever been dug for a building foundation in Houston, ever.

There are massive permanent dewatering systems in place at the new TCH expansion to prevent future Allison type issues. Additionally, for a little trivia, the Maternity Center hole-in-the-ground is the deepest hole that's ever been dug for a building foundation in Houston, ever.

That seems odd. Why is the hole do deep? (And just how deep is it?)

welcome to the forum...

is this trivia available online? i think not....so you must work in the TMC?

Welcome to the forum.

Interesting bit of trivia, but I'd like some reasoning behind it as well.

Is it so the building is rated for a taller structure in case they wish to add on more floors in the future?

That seems odd. Why is the hole do deep? (And just how deep is it?)

All of the sub-grade floors of the hospital are all going to be for parking. TCH wanted to add a bunch more parking spaces without adding an additional garage, and so they decided to go down 4 floors. When the hole was at its deepest, it was 5 feet below sea level, which is about 55 feet deep. In areas outside Houston, this isn't too remarkable. However in a town where the water table can be as shallow as 8-10 ft below the ground, such a big hole is quite remarkable.

so you must work in the TMC?

Busted :-)

Is it so the building is rated for a taller structure in case they wish to add on more floors in the future?

The buildings are indeed designed to go much higher. Currently, there are two buildings scheduled to go up: a 17 floor maternity center, and a 7 floor pediatric hospital. Both of them have been designed structurally to go up to 24 stories each. However this has nothing to do with the hole. The hole was so deep simply because TCH wanted more parking.

Edited by 1980 Astros
  • Like 2

Well, you are a fine addition to our little community.

So the proposed buildings CAN go up to 24 each? Wow. I can imagine how reinforced the foundations are!

I wonder if other buildings are scheduled for increases as well.

So the proposed buildings CAN go up to 24 each? Wow. I can imagine how reinforced the foundations are!

I wonder if other buildings are scheduled for increases as well.

Isn't an increase in floorage going on over at MD Anderson right now. I can't remember the name of the building, but guess that it's about 10 years old and they are presently adding more floors.

I just happened to be browsing around the internets and noticed this project posting. HAIF is always something I've followed, but I've never really thought I could contribute anything meaningful!

That being said, I work fairly close with TCH, and I'd be happy to answer any questions I can about the goings-on of this project.

The answer is pretty heavily reinforced! Check out this nice little progression: (This was during the forming of the main foundation underneath the Maternity Center on the north side of the site.)

DSC00681.jpg?t=1247258691

DSC00672.jpg?t=1247258730

DSC00671.jpg?t=1247258757

DSC00704.jpg?t=1247258784

Edited by 1980 Astros
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...