Savoy Apartments/Hotel At 1616 Main St.

squatterkid

• 1 month later...

Maybe the demolition of the old building made entry to the new one easier?

Not at all !! It's now impossible. When they first demolished the old building there was a wall they knocked down that led inside to the main lobby of the newer hotel. Since then all that was bricked up :( I miss the Savoy Flats !!!!

Edited by secretsquirrel

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for posting that link, NenaE - so interesting! So the Beaconsfield is still standing?

Still operational as luxury condos. Every once in a while one shows up for sale. Currently there are two available for lease.

http://search.har.com/engine/1700-Main-3B-Houston-77002_HAR41919314.htm

http://search.har.com/engine/1700-Main-4B-Houston-77002_HAR92673248.htm

• 7 years later...

Calling jdbaker or any other resident of the Beaconsfield...

4A is still on the market and I’m extremely curious of what it’s like to live there. Is the lot used for parking? If not where do you park? How are the neighbors? Has the Spire venue kept any of you awake at night? What is the HOA? With the date of the property how well insulated are they? Can you hear every footstep/chat of your neighbor?

A little more investigating on my part but the bathrooms and kitchen need to be updated. Wonder if this could be done, because I see it’s been updated a bit since the 80’s. A few fixes here and there and it would be an ideal buy for me.

• The title was changed to Savoy Hotel/Apartments At 1616 Main St.
  • The title was changed to Savoy Apartments/Hotel At 1616 Main St.
  • 1 month later...

Built in 1906 - C.H. Page & Co.  Thanks for the cool picture Highrise.  Enjoyed reading this old thread.  I lived in Houston House from 2000 to 2010.  Strangely enough, I don't recall it's demolition.  Only that it was still standing (barely) one day and gone the next.  I learned a couple of things from reading the old post on this thread.  I never realized it was a virtual dupe/twin to the Beaconsfield, would have never guessed.  Only after seeing this pic that Highrise sent, I can see it certainly does look like a twin to the Beaconsfield, only not positioned on Main like the Beaconsfield.  When I used to look at it on Main (boarded up and laying decrepit) it reminded me of a New York 7 floor walk-up tenement building.  I always knew it was quite grand when built, Highrise's picture confirms this.  But it looks like the entrance was always facing Main on its narrow side, unlike The Beaconsfield.  I wonder now if originally it had a grand garden of sort facing Pease Avenue.    

• Thanks 1