Cactus to reopen?

I just heard that Cactus Music is going to re-open off of S. Shepherd across from The Stags Head Pub in the old Tae Bo building... it's inbetween Richmond and where S. Shepherd curves around the Whataburger before 59.

Anyone heard about this??

• 2 months later...

I talked to my good friend a couple of weeks ago,

he worked @ Cactus for over 15 years, him and 3

other people he worked with there are going to open

a new Cactus at the loaction mentioned. The former

owners of Cactus are going to let them use the name

for free. :)

I talked to my good friend a couple of weeks ago,

he worked @ Cactus for over 15 years, him and 3

other people he worked with there are going to open

a new Cactus at the loaction mentioned. The former

owners of Cactus are going to let them use the name

for free. :)

i wonder if they can transport the old sign?

• 10 months later...
I drove by afternoon, and the Cactus-shaped marquee has been partially covered by a Whole Earth Provisions sign. Either this is new or I just haven't been paying attention.

I think it's fairly new. I just noticed it today too, and I drive by that intersection at least every couple of weeks. My guess is that Weingarten would've had problems getting permission to erect a new sign in the same location, so they just opted to reuse the existing sign as best they could.

How appropriate today, Day of the Dead, to celebrate the resurrection of Cactus Music & Video. The venerable Houston store that died and was buried a year and a half ago is coming back to life.

"Finally, I get to go buy records again," said local singer-songwriter Tody Castillo, who was helping set the place up on Thursday.

The store won't open until sometime next week

Just the name brings back many memories. They used to have live rock n roll bands playing outside in parking lot to promote new albums/8 track tapes. Free T-Shirts and so on. Normally backed by KLOL or 97 Rock. Even free brew, yep by the keg. It was common to leave with 3 albums for $10.00 a pack of incensce, black light poster and free bumper stickers. Even sold rolling papers, what?! :P

We went to the event there last night. Good to see they've built a stage so they can have concerts again. This one's bigger, too. They also have a vinyl room called the Record Ranch with a decent selection of rock, country and r&b LPs, plus 45s. They didn't have all their inventory out yet, but we were able to buy some CDs.

I'm psyched it's coming back. I prefer to give my money to a locally owned store instead of Borders and the like.

It should open sometime this next week.

I'm psyched it's coming back. I prefer to give my money to a locally owned store instead of Borders and the like.

I'm not so psyched. I bought my first Dead Kennedys album from Cactus and I got to see Shonen Knife there, but prices were too high and the selection wasn't great. If the new one is like the old one, I'll keep giving my money to locally owned Soundwaves.

Will they have video rentals? I used to rent movies from the old Cactus - they had a great selection.

There was no indication that they will have video rentals.

I'll keep giving my money to locally owned Soundwaves.

I grew up buying records at what I think was the original Soundwaves on Broadway at Belfort. I do like Soundwaves, but Cactus had a better selection of Texas artists, and they had the in-store concerts, which were awesome. Looking forward to more.

I will give them credit for the Texas music selection. I never could get into that stuff which I guess is why never cared for Cactus. They were expensive though with their "mall pricing".

I also was a big customer at the Belfort Soundwaves in the late 80s. I think it was the original. I remember the seeing the owner all the time.

I will give them credit for the Texas music selection. I never could get into that stuff which I guess is why never cared for Cactus. They were expensive though with their "mall pricing".

The Montrose Soundwaves has a good local selection too, for independent and rap music.

I also was a big customer at the Belfort Soundwaves in the late 80s. I think it was the original. I remember the seeing the owner all the time.

Yeah, that was the original. The owner was great. I bought Roxy Music's "Country Life" back in the 80s. It was the US version with no scantily-clad models on it, just trees. The owner saw that and said "No, no, no, I just got back from England and I picked up one of these", taking me to the import section and revealing the original cover. It was the same price.

Roxy_Music-Country_Life.jpg

I'm not so psyched. I bought my first Dead Kennedys album from Cactus and I got to see Shonen Knife there, but prices were too high and the selection wasn't great. If the new one is like the old one, I'll keep giving my money to locally owned Soundwaves.

Shoenen Knife! What!

Haven't heard of them in years until a few months ago someone had discussed a "where are they now" kind of deal. Just google to see update. Everyone used to refer to The Kennedy's as DK. Saw them at Fitzgerald's. Wild.

Did someone say they would sell 45's? Why on earth would they do that? I bet kids these days dont even know what an album is much less a 45. :lol: lol

• 2 months later...
I just heard that Cactus Music is going to re-open off of S. Shepherd across from The Stags Head Pub in the old Tae Bo building... it's inbetween Richmond and where S. Shepherd curves around the Whataburger before 59.

Anyone heard about this??

I thought iTunes and Amazon killed off stand-alone music stores? Those stores are also killing off Blockbuster and Hollywood Video.

Why would they even try this again?

Why would they even try this again?

Because Cactus has a loyal following. Their in-store free concerts (with free beer!) attract nice crowds. I heard there were about 200 people there last Saturday afternoon for the Jesse Dayton/Brennen Leigh concert.

I prefer to "shop local" when I can, so why not give my CD money to Cactus instead of Amazon? The owners probably won't get rich off the profits, but if they can make a living doing what they love, more power to them.

I have never been to Cactus, but in college I frequented Waterloo Records in Austin that has an excellent reputation for an Independent record store and has a great selection of Texas artists...

Is Cactus a similar atmosphere with a good local/texas music selection...I always have a hard time finding Okkervil River albums in town...have been getting them at Sound Exchange but they are spotty on inventory.

I will always buy albums (cd's) because I believe that they are pieces of art, even the liner notes and artwork work in the context of the music for the best artists. I never feel quite as satisfied with online music.

I have never been to Cactus, but in college I frequented Waterloo Records in Austin that has an excellent reputation for an Independent record store and has a great selection of Texas artists...

Is Cactus a similar atmosphere with a good local/texas music selection...I always have a hard time finding Okkervil River albums in town...have been getting them at Sound Exchange but they are spotty on inventory.

Yes, Cactus is very similar to Waterloo.

It would be great if they rounded up some of the original employees at the Grand Opening just for old times sake.

One of the present owners was once a regular employee. They must have been really good to him to make a career out of it. Very rare these days. This manager guy was interviewed for a good length a few weeks ago. Seeing this place re-open will be a true flashback. Wonder if they will still sell Mr Zig Zag T-shirts? :o:)

It would be great if they rounded up some of the original employees at the Grand Opening just for old times sake.

One of the present owners was once a regular employee. They must have been really good to him to make a career out of it. Very rare these days. This manager guy was interviewed for a good length a few weeks ago. Seeing this place re-open will be a true flashback. Wonder if they will still sell Mr Zig Zag T-shirts? :o:)

You mean Quinn. It's a labor of love and it takes a determined person with a true passion for the record businees.

My BF was a Cactus employee for a brief time years ago, and said the final going away bash at the store last year was a huge success. It just irritates me that the space is now used for Whole Earth to sell more overpriced clothes, as opposed to actual gear.