Thank you for the extensive info, especially on schools, even if I don't have kids. I would like to know an important thing (at least for me): are the women in Houston beautifull. Being from Europe and traveling allover the world (including some US cities) I have lived with the prejudice, wich I realy hope is wrong, that girls in US are not very pritty and moreover overweight (McDonald's type) - exept from the immigrants and descendents from Latin America. Please don't hate me to much and correct me if I'm wrong.

Mephisto I'll Give a Real Rundown:

As you being European I advise staying in the city it will probably fit your taste more. If your single they may help narrow your search more.

River Oaks-Very Expensive,Exclusive,Prestigous,The Beverly Hills of Houston.

Also like suggested Houston is very unpredictable. But the Central is the nicest (West Loop) All of the nice areas run together: RiverOaks,Memorial,Galleria/Uptown an to the South West University & Rice Village Area. You would probably like these areas the most, very nice new/an older homes & townhomes in meditterian stucco styles. I live in the Galleria Area an love it very nice,very safe, Ultra Convient I often walk to the grocery store at 1am for ice cream. A lot of European ppl live in this area its a very chic an international area from American to Persian its a great mix of ppl from all over the world. Plus to mention the 24hr starbucks is always packed. West Loop area is full of nice resturants an nightclubs ,Galleria (only mall you will ever need)plus Very convient to downtown 15mins max (non rush hour ,30mins during rush hour) Also I suggest looking at the Condos on Post Oak (Uptowns Main Artiery)

As for the Women Beautiful Latin,black,white,asian,european,russian,perisan whatever your choice (I love em all :D ) They are all over the place especially at night!! The international appeal offers a wide choice of good looking women.

An for suburbs I personally wouldnt suggest Woodlands since you dont have kids I would say Sugarland or Katy which are very nice an more convient to central houston.

• 3 months later...
I couldn't help but to have always noticed this street shares its name with a certain prominent National Lampoon actor. :closedeyes:

Chevy used to own a house back in there in the 70's and early 80's. There was a John Belushi Lane also, but after he died of a drug overdose, the HOA decided that it was the perfect opportunity to yank it without anyone noticing because they didn't want to be associated with that kind of behavior. It's called Del Monte Dr. now.

Edited by TJones

Chevy used to own a house back in there in the 70's and early 80's. There was a John Belushi Lane also, but after he died of a drug overdose, the HOA decided that it was the perfect opportunity to yank it without anyone noticing because they didn't want to be associated with that kind of behavior. It's called Del Monte Dr. now.

Ha Ha Ha. HAIF joke of the day!

:rolleyes:

:lol:

funny enough, chevy chase's real name is cornelius crane chase

too bad it is also a town in maryland :rolleyes:

many of the district's streets are named after famous golf and country clubs in cities such as Chevy Chase, Md., Inverness, Ohio, and Inwood, New York.

http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/bus...s/overview.html

Edited by sevfiv

TJ... Don't know if you're implying that the street was named after Chevy, but I knew some kids that lived on Chevy Chase back in the 50's. So it was there well before Cornelius Chase became a comedian/actor. Del Monte was also in the neighborhood back then.

TJ... Don't know if you're implying that the street was named after Chevy, but I knew some kids that lived on Chevy Chase back in the 50's. So it was there well before Cornelius Chase became a comedian/actor. Del Monte was also in the neighborhood back then.

Sometimes you just can't take anything this guy says serious, I was had again! :o

a little more on houston street naming:

The City does not name streets after living people. In addition, the City only allows the use of proper names for national figures, i.e., Martin Luther King Blvd. and Sgt. Macario Garcia Drive.

Major thoroughfares are reserved for national figures.

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/Developm...street_name.htm

Major thoroughfares are reserved for national figures.

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/Developm...street_name.htm

Like Senator Lloyd Bentsen, I really did not know he was famous enough to have a section of HWY 59. He died recently btw (May '06), I never knew. :mellow:

Edited by Pumapayam

• 5 months later...

Are there any Black homeowners in River Oaks now?

I know three or four years ago The River Oaks Country Club put a token Black on it's membership rolls to keep from having it's Tennis Tournament boycotted.

Recently, I went house hunting in River Oaks with my wife who happens to be African American. We have just relocated from the WE HO area of LA a very integrated and forward thinking area. When I arrived first and started to look for homes on my own with my chosen agent everything was nice and polite and the agent was virtually kicking in doors of homes that were not "officially" on the market when she was informed this was going to be a cash sale and my price range was in the 7 figures. When my wife joined me to complete our house hunting all those not "officially" on the market homes disappeared, my agent wanted us to look at homes in Royal Oaks, Riverside Terrace, Braes wood , Meyer land. All of a sudden the homes that were of interest to us in River Oaks were being described as old,needing lots of updates,or owners reconsidering selling. I am fully aware that we were being discouraged from living here, when it was discovered that an interracial couple wanted to move in. We finally decided on a new home in Sienna Plantation. I would never step foot in this "hood" ever again. They are racist, but very nice!

In NYC you can't buy an "apartment" in a nice highrise no matter what your race or creed unless the owners agree to let you in. Usually no "show business" types are allowed. Also, they interview you and your life becomes an open book. They want to see your financial statements and your references have to be top of the line. It most certainly is discrimination of the worst sort and it is legal.

Recently, I went house hunting in River Oaks with my wife who happens to be African American. We have just relocated from the WE HO area of LA a very integrated and forward thinking area. When I arrived first and started to look for homes on my own with my chosen agent everything was nice and polite and the agent was virtually kicking in doors of homes that were not "officially" on the market when she was informed this was going to be a cash sale and my price range was in the 7 figures. When my wife joined me to complete our house hunting all those not "officially" on the market homes disappeared, my agent wanted us to look at homes in Royal Oaks, Riverside Terrace, Braes wood , Meyer land. All of a sudden the homes that were of interest to us in River Oaks were being described as old,needing lots of updates,or owners reconsidering selling. I am fully aware that we were being discouraged from living here, when it was discovered that an interracial couple wanted to move in. We finally decided on a new home in Sienna Plantation. I would never step foot in this "hood" ever again. They are racist, but very nice!

No kidding? I mean, logic would dictate green wins all other colors or whatever the color combination.

Houston is very diverse, but interracial couples are rarer here compare to LA and west coast for that matter. Makes one wonder why, especially for such a diverse place.

But in your case, maybe its just the agent?

Edited by webdude

You should have just changed your agent since it was the AGENT who was racist and not the neighborhood.

While there are bigots in River Oaks to be sure, there are also active members of R.O.A.D. women (River Oaks Area Democrats), gays, and even a few minority and mixed families. My mom was born and raised in River Oaks and lives there today. She's about as Left of Center as they come.

It's a shame you let someone stop you. Push the envelope next time and force change.

I certainly wouldn't let a snooty real estate sales clerk stop me from buying where I wanted to buy.

You should have just changed your agent since it was the AGENT who was racist and not the neighborhood.

While there are bigots in River Oaks to be sure, there are also active members of R.O.A.D. women (River Oaks Area Democrats), gays, and even a few minority and mixed families. My mom was born and raised in River Oaks and lives there today. She's about as Left of Center as they come.

It's a shame you let someone stop you. Push the envelope next time and force change.

I certainly wouldn't let a snooty real estate sales clerk stop me from buying where I wanted to buy.

I do think that some people in River Oaks and its social and civic entities are old school in their thinking for the most part about integration, etc. Didn't they just allow Jews to become members of The River Oaks Country Club in recent years? My parents house hunted there in the very early 70s and were also not welcomed with a very warm reception they said. They are 2 different ethnicities, Israeli and American. They bought in West U instead, where you actually know and see your neighbors, kids play in their front yards and ride their bikes around the neighborhood and to school. You don't see much of that in River Oaks, besides that the houses are so far apart and often set way back on lots and with private drives. I guess its nice for privacy though.

The strange aspect here is that River Oaks and West U are assigned to the same comprehensive high school (Lamar).

I do think that some people in River Oaks and its social and civic entities are old school in their thinking for the most part about integration, etc. Didn't they just allow Jews to become members of The River Oaks Country Club in recent years? My parents house hunted there in the very early 70s and were also not welcomed with a very warm reception they said. They are 2 different ethnicities, Israeli and American. They bought in West U instead, where you actually know and see your neighbors, kids play in their front yards and ride their bikes around the neighborhood and to school. You don't see much of that in River Oaks, besides that the houses are so far apart and often set way back on lots and with private drives. I guess its nice for privacy though.

That's really pathetic and it is hard to see how it happens. I know a gay couple buying in River Oaks who didn't mention any problems at all. Did you talk to the agent about it, and put her on the spot?

The strange aspect here is that River Oaks and West U are assigned to the same comprehensive high school (Lamar).

Yes but most of the West U kids I know all went to Lamar with me and the River Oaks kids I went to private school in middle school with continued in private school for high school. They don't go to HISD, even with the IB program at Lamar. A few do, but majority are at St. Johns, Kinkaid, etc. Right Kinkaid?

Although a situation like this is not unique to Houston, I'm not surprised that this happened.