I think we made the right decision to move here. We are helping to set the new standard of acceptance, not trying to conserve the old enclave. This was my first experience with prejudice and it was an eye opener, it was so smooth and gentle you didn't know what was coming your way until it hit you.

The "smooth and gentle" kind of racism is often the most dangerous and it is exactly the kind I was referring to in my previous posts on this topic, the kind I have frequently encountered myself and which I believe can be the most damaging. So "smooth and gentle" that you often don't know what hit you.

I understand completely why you decided to walk instead of pushing the envelope to buy a house in RO.

Sometimes you simply have to adopt a motto I've coined: The days of saving people from themselves are over. Even though I'm not a Houstonian, I hope you enjoy Houston, a city I'm hoping to relocate to in the near future.

The "smooth and gentle" kind of racism is often the most dangerous and it is exactly the kind I was referring to in my previous posts on this topic, the kind I have frequently encountered myself and which I believe can be the most damaging. So "smooth and gentle" that you often don't know what hit you.

I understand completely why you decided to walk instead of pushing the envelope to buy a house in RO.

Sometimes you simply have to adopt a motto I've coined: The days of saving people from themselves are over. Even though I'm not a Houstonian, I hope you enjoy Houston, a city I'm hoping to relocate to in the near future.

Not to mention that it is hard to prove and detect.

Not to mention that it is hard to prove and detect.

Yes indeed. Notice how the realtor responded to Calikid when he confronted her: denial.

A typical response, "Prejudice, racism, bias? How can you say that? I don't agree." Oh how many times have I heard that response. The stories I could tell, but I'll spare everyone. B)

Sometimes you simply have to adopt a motto I've coined: The days of saving people from themselves are over.

I don't agree with you very often Millenica, but I agree with you here. Don't bother trying to change people. Just find a place where you can be happy for your own sake.

To quote Jeebus from 2005, yes the street does go both ways. When I went to vote the last time, I saw the usual candidates standing outside. This guy that was running for mayor was just having a great old time passing out flyers with his name on them and his causes. When my white behind walked up to him, he completely ignored me as I approached him. Since I hated the current Mayor, I was going to vote for him. So, I just didn't vote forthe rude candidate. Similar incident happened to me while driving past an intersection with church memebers panhandeling for thier childrens' camp, and the other drivers in the car next to me.

Also, I wouldn't call them "ghetto mansions." However, that term seems correct, in its'pollitical incorrectness. Who wants to pay a million plus for a house in a neighborhood that has an ugly McMansion with a simlulated stucco facade on two-thirds of the exterior and a hardiplank rear facade? Also an over sized porte cochere in front with 1967 Impala's with 22" dubs sitting underneath? I wouldn't! To me, that type of junk is simply that. Junk! No matter what religion, race, gender, or sexual orientation you are. Trash is trash.

I don't agree with you very often Millenica, but I agree with you here. Don't bother trying to change people. Just find a place where you can be happy for your own sake.

It's good to hear that you agree with me on something, but notice that I qualified my statement with the word sometimes. Although I've never been one to try and change people, that doesn't mean that I won't argue my point and fight to the bitter end for what I think I've earned, which has frequently meant ending up in places where I haven't been wanted.

• The title was changed to River Oaks/Upper Kirby Real Estate