currently on HAR.com, price range $880,000 (directly on San Felipe) to $8,000,000 at 1000 Kirby.

I'd love to get inside that Kirby house. I remember when they built it. My youngest son asks me to drive by it all the time. It is his favorite. A bit gaudy for me, but would love to see it anyway.

1000 kirby is the epitome of mid-eighties garishness :D

happens to be the ex tracy suttles house, too

But did Suttles ever live in it?

Think what a great deal $8mill is when it cost $25mill to build it!

Mephisto - I think you should make an offer.

But did Suttles ever live in it?

Think what a great deal $8mill is when it cost $25mill to build it!

Mephisto - I think you should make an offer.

according to this 2005 article, suttles bought it in 2002, and then it almost went into foreclosure. it doesn't mention him living in it, but i would guess he did...

it also says the house was on the market for $15 million in 2000...

Hello! I am moving to Houston from Europe (Romania) because of my business and I would like to know if the River Oaks community is a good place to by house? The main criteria are: safety, nice environment (green, parks...), close to the city center. Another option could be The Woodlands, but I know that is far from the city (about 50' from downtown). Thank you!

Hello. All HAIF jokesters aside -_-

River Oaks are where Houston's most wealthy and show-offy sociallites live. If you can afford to live here, bully for you!

However, Houston is a very difficult city to buy in site unseen. You can have a pretty bad neighborhood be surrounded by very nice areas, and you would not know it unless you saw it in person. If you are moving to Houston, I would suggest getting a rental for 6months or so while you get to know the city and the pros and cons of living in different areas.

Many of us here prefer to live in close to town. However, there are millions of others who prefer the suburbs (The Woodlands) If you live in many of the burbs, be prepared to spend 3 hours a day in your car commuting. However, if you live in close to town, be prepared to pay much more per square foot. However, if you are looking at river oaks, I don't think that will be an issue :D

Let's show a LITTLE decorum and respect for a future Houstonian and let's be a bit honest with him.

River oaks is nice, but the advice given so far is quite valid, rent an apartment for 6 months so you can make a more informed decision on what you're buying. There are some nice new apartments that just opened up on Allen Parkway, or maybe you can rent something in a Hi-rise if that's more your style.

Again, just a suggestion.

Agree, we need to show some Houston Hospitality. I think we scared Mephisto off to the Woodlands or Conroe.

I think it is good advice to rent (or lease) for a few months before purchasing. There are so many options in the Houston area to consider. Wendy is right about the 3 hours on the road when commuting 50 miles or so.

As far as safety, he may want to consider a gated community. Or some neighborhoods offer private security as well. The best advise we can give him is to find a really good realator.

Edited by MarthaG

Actually, Becca Cason Thrash, who is arguably the city's #1 in that regard, lives - gasp! - outside the loop (in the toniest part of Memorial, to be sure).

Lynn Wyatt is acutually numero uno as far as Houston or even Texas society is concerned, and she does live in River Oaks in a quaint but very stylish georgian house. Lynn's old house once dubbed the Wyatt Regency is still my fav in River Oaks the mansion has been doubled in size since Jim & Cherie Flores moved in. Becca Thrash's who could be numero uno someday has a 22,000 sq ft party palace off of memorial that is like a museum!,the inside gets even better with a huge pool, parties always last after midnight at the Thrashes.

As for the public schools, all of them are in the Houston ISD and are held in high regard by the community:

* River Oaks Elementary School: http://es.houstonisd.org/riveroakses/

* Lanier Middle School: http://ms.houstonisd.org/lanierms/

* Lamar High School: http://hs.houstonisd.org/lamarhs/

Keep in mind that Lanier and Lamar have school uniforms, so if you are opposed to the idea of uniforms, get a Texas Education Agency waiver so your child will not have to wear them.

Anyway, here are profiles:

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/RiverOaks_ES.pdf

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Lanier_MS.pdf

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Lamar_HS.pdf

Houston ISD has magnet programs which allow your kid to be sent to other schools.

As for nearby private schools:

* St. John's School (K-12)

* Kinkaid School (K-12)

* St. Thomas High School (9-12)

* Annunciation Orthodox (K-8)

* St. Anne's Catholic (K-8)

Thank you for the extensive info, especially on schools, even if I don't have kids. I would like to know an important thing (at least for me): are the women in Houston beautifull. Being from Europe and traveling allover the world (including some US cities) I have lived with the prejudice, wich I realy hope is wrong, that girls in US are not very pritty and moreover overweight (McDonald's type) - exept from the immigrants and descendents from Latin America. Please don't hate me to much and correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you for the extensive info, especially on schools, even if I don't have kids. I would like to know an important thing (at least for me): are the women in Houston beautifull. Being from Europe and traveling allover the world (including some US cities) I have lived with the prejudice, wich I realy hope is wrong, that girls in US are not very pritty and moreover overweight (McDonald's type) - exept from the immigrants and descendents from Latin America. Please don't hate me to much and correct me if I'm wrong.

i'd say wrong on all counts...there are all sizes in all nationalities

I have lived with the prejudice, wich I realy hope is wrong, that girls in US are not very pritty and moreover overweight (McDonald's type) - exept from the immigrants and descendents from Latin America. Please don't hate me to much and correct me if I'm wrong.

Dont watch many American TV programs and movies do you?

Make sure to bring some of that Romania Herb you are smoking. Besides , I am sure that the men in Romania are all wonderful catches. The women here love men who are 5'6" with a unibrow and square jaw with flat heads, and huge Romanian moles on their chins, very attractive specimens to be sure.

Look , I found a picture of Mephisto. You are sooooooooo in, Stud ! :closedeyes:

unibrow.JPG

Just kidding Mephisto, I know you really don't look like that, Most Romania men have much longer hair.

ugly_guyshead.jpeg

Edited by TJones

Mephisto, if you like crackhouses, and shanty towns, then The River Oaks is your cup of tea. Crime ridden doesn't begin to describe this area of town. I would rather walk naked down Gulfton with a sign around my neck that said all illegals must be deported, than risk living in River Oaks. You need a different realtor if they are trying to get you to buy in that part of town. Sounds like they are just trying to make a quick buck off of you.

LMAO!!!!

That's actually an old picture of Jaclyn Smith circa '70s or '80s.

Here's a more recent one of her pushing 60:

JaclynSmith.jpg

I think she swears it's all through good, clean living (and some airbrush). Perhaps more proof that the Houston humidy is not all that bad.

WHO'S YOUR GRANNY ! WHO'S YOUR GRANNY ! :wub:

Edited by TJones

Well it's a real picture, but like I said, airbrush does wonders. Despite that she does look great and youthful for 59. She's older than both of my parents. They could take some tips.

On the contrary, I saw a recent picture of Patrick Swayze the other day and he's not aging well. It's kind of depressing considering how good looking he was in his '80s and '90s films. :sigh:

Edited by KimberlySayWhat

Move to the Heights. It's very classy and cooler than River Oaks. R.O. is too established for your taste. You'll find the women beautiful and will likely want to pursue many of them, but you'd have to adopt the whole River Oaks culture, speech, lifestyle, body language, etc. so you can easily walk into a fancy party and fit in. The Heights people have money, they're classy, but most of all, they are accepting of anyone in their community as long as they are decent. I'd seriously suggest looking into the Heights. You might like some of the new architectural development.

Edited by PureAuteur

On the contrary, I saw a recent picture of Patrick Swayze the other day and he's not aging well. It's kind of depressing considering how good looking he was in his '80s and '90s films. :sigh:

Hey isn't that Swayze there in the middle of your sig ? :blink: You are right, he has aged poorly. BLEH !icon8.gif

Cutout8.jpg

Edited by TJones