Sesquicentennial Park At 400 Texas Ave.

I like New York International Airport - as it was first called - but it was renamed shortly after his death. We should at least wait until the person's life is over before we name something in their honor. What if Bush Sr. decided to reveal that he is, in fact, Osama bin Laden? Boy would we have egg on our face.

Besides, wasn't it Lanier who changed the name just before he departed?

(Also, I realize that Sam Houston was still alive when this city was founded. I wonder how the people here felt when he opposed secession.)

Was that the same as Idlewild?

Did y'all know that plans underway to rename Houston? Yup... they're gonna rename it, Bush, Texas!!

:angry::blink:;):(

"If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier - just so long I'm the dictator." --- GWB - December 18, 2000

I just spent four frustrating hours at Intercontinental. I was supposed to meet a friend who was going to have a three hour layover, but due to weather delays, it didn't happen.

What I do not understand is how come all the food concessions are available only to ticketed passengers. I mean, all of them. For non-passengers, you can buy ridiculously priced popcorn, soda pop...and that's about it. Or, you can go over to the Marriott and spend $11 on a damn hamburger.

How come they couldn't put the food courts outside the secured areas? People waiting for arriving passengers get hungry, too. Seems like this is the usual - sensible - layout at other airports. At IAH if you want to eat, you have to buy a ticket.

And if someone wants to deny it, either things have changed since the last time you were there, or about 10 seperate people lied to me today.

Well, the stands were available to all before 9/11, but with the new security measures, they were then segregated from the non-ticketed people. In quite a few airports (including iah) there were howls of protest from the owners of the stands as they were complaining that they were going to lose about 50-75% of their business because only people with tickets would be allowed access to the areas where the consessions stands were.

I can see their poing and Dbigtex's experience is a prime example of how they lose income due to the security barriers.

Ricco

Unfortunately most airports were designed before the current security requirements were put into place, so some concessions are going to get hurt. A well-known example is Pittsburgh, which was designed around what is in effect a shopping mall. The stores are hurting now because of the passenger restrictions.

I agree that IAH is a nightmare to navigate. I had a question about International vs. Intercontinential. Any takers?

Also - Honolulu International is by far the best aiport. There are literally no walls along the terminal. In most airports, where there are big windows looking out to the tarmac or those long walls with rental car advertisements, in Honolulu it's just open air. verrrrrrrrrrry nice :)

Glen

If IAH was open air, it would be the WORST airport in the world, I would go to Hobby to travel to Newark to fly Int...

I just spent four frustrating hours at Intercontinental. I was supposed to meet a friend who was going to have a three hour layover, but due to weather delays, it didn't happen.

What I do not understand is how come all the food concessions are available only to ticketed passengers. I mean, all of them. For non-passengers, you can buy ridiculously priced popcorn, soda pop...and that's about it. Or, you can go over to the Marriott and spend $11 on a damn hamburger.

How come they couldn't put the food courts outside the secured areas? People waiting for arriving passengers get hungry, too.

You brought up some very valid points on the validity of having the concessions before or after the security checkpoints.

And I saw your reasoning behind letting everyone go through security so they can have some extra time with their loved ones. Then I have to think of the added lines and wait time for people that are actually going on a flight. To allow everyone through would be an additional burden on an already suffering security resource as well as testing the patience while the inevitable newbie to airport procedures delays the lines because of stupidity of knives he's "forgotten about".

I'm still split about the concessions, but you covered the majority of the reasons why.

Ricco

There is a workaround if you have a credit card with a decent amount of available credit and don't mind the hassle. Use one of the e-ticket machines to buy a refundable ticket for a flight leaving later that day. Take your boarding pass, go through security, and go meet your friend. Afterwards, go back to the machine and cancel and request a refund for the unused ticket. It's a hassle but it works.

You sly puss! :D

thank goodness terrorists don't have the means to do such things. <_<

I feel so much safer....

You sly puss!  :D

thank goodness terrorists don't have the means to do such things. <_<

I feel so much safer....

Well where there's a will there's a way.

As for terrorists, there's only so much that can be done. No security system is 100% effective. However, I'm not the type to live my life in fear and stay home and avoid air travel. I'm a very fearless flyer and the odds of being on a flight that's hit by a terrorist attack is very slim. You're actually at a much greater risk of being on a flight that crashes due to mechanical failure or weather than you are to be on one hijacked by a terrorist, and we all know that airline accidents are a pretty rare occurance in this country. In fact when you get in a car and drive anywhere in this city you put yourself at a much, much greater risk of being injured or killed than you ever do when stepping onto a commercial airline flight. Unfortunately I think there are a lot of people still paralized by 9/11 and the perceived terrorist "threat" when it comes to travel though.

• 1 year later...

just trying out my new camera (kodak z740). kodak is not the most user-friendly camera i've found (IMO). you can click on the picture to get a better look. some of the pictures would have been better in the morning.

th_100_0042.jpg

th_100_0043.jpg

th_100_0041.jpg

th_100_0040.jpg

th_100_0039.jpg

th_100_0035.jpg

th_100_0034.jpg

th_100_0033.jpg

th_100_0032.jpg

Edited by bachanon

• 1 year later...
Is that the name of the park? For some reason I thought that park was on the other side of 59? Oh well ... neat picks.

It's actually kind of cool to walk along. I don't think many people know about it, or at least use it.

• 5 years later...
  • The title was changed to George Bush Presidential Monument Near Franklin And Bagby In Sesquicentennial Park
  • The title was changed to Sesquicentennial Park At 400 Texas Ave.