Well, I went to the TXDoT public meeting on this, but I don't have any links other than my own blog post on it. They had comprehensive drawings, including some innovative entrances and exits near the Medical Center. The 4 lanes will be a congestion priced toll road. Current plan is construction start by 2010, with completion in stages between 2012 and 2014

Thanks Tory. Your blog gives great info on the project. My wife and I are typical 288 users. We work deep nights just because of the congestion! We're thinking of changing to days but can't stand the unidirectional traffic, which will start off daily at CR 59 or even Hwy 6 when housing market picks up again. Looks like we'll work nights for some more years.

Talking about rail. I think that would have been the best. Have a light rail that starts at Hwy 6 or further south, make stops at just 4 places: Beltway 8, Airpot Blvd, 610, MacGregor, and terminates at 59. Rideship will be great. I don't see how it won't break even. The same should have been done to I-10. Or what do you think?

Talking about rail. I think that would have been the best. Have a light rail that starts at Hwy 6 or further south, make stops at just 4 places: Beltway 8, Airpot Blvd, 610, MacGregor, and terminates at 59. Rideship will be great. I don't see how it won't break even. The same should have been done to I-10. Or what do you think?

I'm not sure i'd want to be dropped off at 59 and 288.

1. Never speed.

2. Keep inspection, registration and insurance up to date.

3. Wear seat belts.

If they can't write tickets, they'll have to do something else.

Like what, jaywalking? Nothing pulls in the revenue like speeding tickets. If they can't write tickets, I am terrified at the thought of what depths they might stoop to.

Like what, jaywalking? Nothing pulls in the revenue like speeding tickets. If they can't write tickets, I am terrified at the thought of what depths they might stoop to.

So ... it's our duty to let our insurance lapse to keep the cops from mischief?

No, the OP.

It seems like a pretty silly question if you drive down 288 at all with any regularity. There are ALWAYS cops everywhere.

I am the original poster. I commute from Pearland to Houston on 288 every week day and usually at least one weekend day. I have done so since the fall of 1990. I'd be willing to bet that I have driven more miles on 288 than you have. There are often several cops, in somewhat predictable locations. Since HPD got the Charger a month or so ago, there have been quite noticeably more, and out of the cars shooting laser, which they didn't use to do. I'm wondering why the change, because it is definitely a change.

• 4 weeks later...

What's the advantage over Park & Ride on an HOT that is so much more compelling that it could justify several times the cost and also exclude auto traffic and still make sense?

Edited by TheNiche

What's the advantage over Park & Ride on an HOT that is so much more compelling that it could justify several times the cost and also exclude auto traffic and still make sense?

You've got a point there Niche. I can't think of an outstanding advantage of rail over buses in surburbs. Just love to see things done that will make people use their cars less. I think rail will do that and that people prefer rail over buses.

I am the original poster. I commute from Pearland to Houston on 288 every week day and usually at least one weekend day. I have done so since the fall of 1990. I'd be willing to bet that I have driven more miles on 288 than you have. There are often several cops, in somewhat predictable locations. Since HPD got the Charger a month or so ago, there have been quite noticeably more, and out of the cars shooting laser, which they didn't use to do. I'm wondering why the change, because it is definitely a change.

They're just working for the money, and choose to work smart. People tend to go faster on the road especially since it just got smoother. Meanwhile police like to stay there b/c it is well laid out, they can be there most hours of the day and not just in the hot hot afternoon hours. They love to catch a few guys on the SB lanes before having morning coffee!!

No, the OP.

It seems like a pretty silly question if you drive down 288 at all with any regularity. There are ALWAYS cops everywhere.

I've been driving 288 daily for the past 8 years. You must be new or don't pay attention. Because over the past few months, the cops have swarmed that area! Between BW8 and 610, you see tons of cops pulling people over. We obviously have too many police in Houston, because they have nothing better to do than give traffic tickets. I can understand 1 or 2 cops patrolling that stretch of highway, but sometimes there are 3-5 cops giving tickets. Give me a break, HPD has terrible response times, they need to take those cars off Park and start driving the streets some more. The crime also occurs on the streets and rarely the highway. They aren't the highway patrol, they are the Houston Police. They need to spread those cops into the neighborhoods and get the crime down. I drive often and it seems that for some reason they isolated into the 288 area.

• 6 months later...

The Chron is reporting that a design firm has been picked for the tolling of 288. $1.2 billion dollar project. No federal money, all local.

It's funny how some people say it's just a concept -- nothing firm, while at the same time Emmett says, "If we don't start now, it just takes too long to get it under way."

The Chron is reporting that a design firm has been picked for the tolling of 288. $1.2 billion dollar project. No federal money, all local.

It's funny how some people say it's just a concept -- nothing firm, while at the same time Emmett says, "If we don't start now, it just takes too long to get it under way."

There's not really any conflict there. Emmett is clearly referring to getting underway with the early planning steps, such as the one reported in the article. He is in no way suggesting that we have to start construction now.

Edited by Houston19514

I wonder if the project will be a combination of capacity added to the free mainlanes and an addition of toll roads? I was driving down the 288/59 merge, and it's got a few lane balance issues at the interchange at 59. Hopefully they can sort all of that out when the time for construction comes.

Just check the HCTRA website. They give a rundown.

The project will use the large median for SH 288 to place toll lanes similar to I-10.

The tollway will have entrances and exits just like the Katy Toll road. It will terminate just before US 59 with flyovers going into midtown and exits onto the final portion of SH 288.

It will not go all the way to I-45. The purpose it to move people and not cars. This leads to moving commuters. The primary destinations for the toll road will be Beltway 8, Loop 610, Medical Center, then Midtown which will allow traffic to move into downtown.

The Katy Toll road does the same thing with exits at specific points.

The project will use the large median for SH 288 to place toll lanes similar to I-10.

Another lost opportunity.

It will not go all the way to I-45. The purpose it to move people and not cars. This leads to moving commuters.

If they really believed this, they'd be thinking rail, not Katy Freeway Part II.

I thought Delay was out of office?

I'd really like to avoid more toll roads in Houston. I know they shift some of the financial burden to the drivers who use the roads, but they don't seem to solve any problems related to traffic. Some of the worst traffic in the city is on the Westpark tollway and Beltway 8.

Like Trae posted, a commuter rail would do far more to relieve traffic congestion. And if we really want to charge people for driving on our roads, wouldn't it make more sense to charge the heaviest vehicles and tractor trailers that cause the greatest damage to the roads?

I'd really like to avoid more toll roads in Houston. I know they shift some of the financial burden to the drivers who use the roads, but they don't seem to solve any problems related to traffic. Some of the worst traffic in the city is on the Westpark tollway and Beltway 8.

I agree. And the reason this is such a shame is that there's wide open land ready to be turned into rail at the least possible cost. Instead, TXDOT is going to pave it over now and it'll just be more expensive 50 or 60 years from now when all that has to be torn up and replaced with rail anyway.

Like Trae posted, a commuter rail would do far more to relieve traffic congestion. And if we really want to charge people for driving on our roads, wouldn't it make more sense to charge the heaviest vehicles and tractor trailers that cause the greatest damage to the roads?

I think they already do. I think one way is through higher fuel taxes, which is why narrow states that can be crossed without refueling have a kind of special trucker toll tag that bills the drivers when they enter the state.

I agree. And the reason this is such a shame is that there's wide open land ready to be turned into rail at the least possible cost. Instead, TXDOT is going to pave it over now and it'll just be more expensive 50 or 60 years from now when all that has to be torn up and replaced with rail anyway.

SH 288 has been planned with a dual freeway in mind since 1963. Of course, the freeway wasn't built then, but A.C. Kyser, the man in charge of designing Houston's freeways inside of the loop until the mid 70s, realized that the freeway would need to carry a lot of traffic. They weren't planned as toll lanes, but free "express" lanes. Of course, at that time, nobody thought of rail as an alternative, and if they did, they likely thought that the Columbia Tap rail line would do the job of serving the future suburbs to be built along 288. I don't think anyone then knew that the rail line would be torn up in 1985.

Another problem I see with a tollway in the middle of 288 is safety... I've seen people fly along Beltway 8 and the Hardy Toll road at break-neck speeds... it's like people figure they've paid for an open road, and dammit, they're going to use it. Especially when there are poor suckers crawling along in the congested free lanes, you really have to stick it to them by going 90 mph in the middle.

Another problem I see with a tollway in the middle of 288 is safety... I've seen people fly along Beltway 8 and the Hardy Toll road at break-neck speeds... it's like people figure they've paid for an open road, and dammit, they're going to use it. Especially when there are poor suckers crawling along in the congested free lanes, you really have to stick it to them by going 90 mph in the middle.

The Harris County Constable will keep tabs on that.

I don't think 288 has the volume to reasonably support commuter rail. It's suburbia, not urban center to urban center. I highly doubt all those people driving up 288 in the morning are going to ditch their cars for waiting for a train and then transferring onto buses when they get there. Most of them spend 10-15 minutes just to get to 288 because the freakin idiotic suburban traffic light system and roads are designed and run by morons.

I think they already do. I think one way is through higher fuel taxes, which is why narrow states that can be crossed without refueling have a kind of special trucker toll tag that bills the drivers when they enter the state.

Yep, they do. My mom's boyfriend is an owner/operator and he gripes about having to calculate up the extra fuel taxes.

I don't think 288 has the volume to reasonably support commuter rail. It's suburbia, not urban center to urban center. I highly doubt all those people driving up 288 in the morning are going to ditch their cars for waiting for a train and then transferring onto buses when they get there. Most of them spend 10-15 minutes just to get to 288 because the freakin idiotic suburban traffic light system and roads are designed and run by morons.

Well, there are several park and ride locations along 288 that always seemed to be full. Seems like they could expand and leverage these for a commuter rail that ties into the existing light rail leading to the TMC and DT.

Well, there are several park and ride locations along 288 that always seemed to be full. Seems like they could expand and leverage these for a commuter rail that ties into the existing light rail leading to the TMC and DT.

Several park and ride locations along 288 that always seem to be full? I only know of two locations on FM 518 and Hwy 6. Those are no P&R, they are just carpool-vanpool locations and are not well utilised compared to the number of people living in the area.

A few Metro express in the morning and evening may not be a bad idea to start, but many people here are just not so enthusiastic about commuter stuff.