Mixed metaphors and "wrong" words

escapee

I love metaphors that people have mixed up. Like "that gravy on the cake." And "up a creek with out a leg to stand on." And people who use the wrong words, like "I was drunk and the police COMPOUNDED my car." Can't you just see the cops polishing that car? Do you have favorites? :P

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have favorites? :P

I've seen a few. My favorites:

"Like a Sphinx rising from the ashes..."

Did you hear the one about the dog infected with rabbis?

"...tastes great with a fine marina sauce." (From a story about pasta.)

Yes, I work at a newspaper. :wacko:

Another source of amusement is the (understandable) misuse or misunderstanding of common American idioms by people who are learning our language.

A few months ago, a HAIF member (I won't say which one) wrote "he deserves a big clap!"

(Somehow I'm reminded of the newscaster who, following a sympathetic report on blind prostitutes, said "You know, you really have to hand it to them!") :D

Another source of amusement is the (understandable) misuse or misunderstanding of common American idioms by people who are learning our language.

A few months ago, a HAIF member (I won't say which one) wrote "he deserves a big clap!"

(Somehow I'm reminded of the newscaster who, after viewing a sympathetic report on blind prostitutes, said, "You know, you really have to hand it to them!") :D

Those are so rich.

I had a friend who just couldn't get words right. She had an allergic reaction and was covered in welps (them's some big raised places!) She also said everything went awry and pronouced in ah-ree. And .....her plans fell thru and she was back to square A. It was really hard to keep a straight face around her.

Then.....my alltime fav..........the bottle blonde I worked with who was loaning a coworker money for lunch. The coworker asked her is she was sure she could spare it. The blonde says......."It's ok. I'm PLUSH today."

I always think of a big pink teddy bear with blonde hair and a $5 bill in its paw.

My favorite grammar goof of all time was on Millionaire the game show. A lady was on the $1000 dollar question. Her question was: "What is the name for the type of power-tools that are fueled by compressed air?"

She replied with: "Oh that's easy Regis, my husband has a bunch of them, they're "C", Pnuemonic - final answer!" :lol:

Edited by Jeebus

is that the pc term?

An attempt. We got all kinds of people up here. Mostly rednecks, tho. That there sheriff.....he says he caught him a guy was "hooter than a drunk owl." One feller got pulled over on a "D Wobbly I" and asked if his friend could come get his car. So, he called the friend and when the friend got there the "alert deputy" ran his name and discovered he had warrants out. So, the alert deputy put the "habbeus snatches on him" and took him in too. Very colorful place too live.

An attempt. We got all kinds of people up here. Mostly rednecks, tho. That there sheriff.....he says he caught him a guy was "hooter than a drunk owl." One feller got pulled over on a "D Wobbly I" and asked if his friend could come get his car. So, he called the friend and when the friend got there the "alert deputy" ran his name and discovered he had warrants out. So, the alert deputy put the "habbeus snatches on him" and took him in too. Very colorful place too live.

oh my achin' head.

Too funny!

I work with a young lady who is from Crosby. We are always giving her greif about the things she says. We love her dearly, and joke with her constantly. Thank goodness she has a great sense of humor.

We keep saying we are going to keep a list.

This week... she warshed her clothes... and the Dr. gave her a subsciption for some medicine.

On a sad note... my 15 yr old came home from a week visit with his dad..and said he realized something about his dad over the week.... he constantly uses double negatives.

Edited by MarthaG

One of the contestants of the Big Brother Show on CBS just a few nights ago, while in the confession room talking about needing to win a competition to keep from being voted off the show said: "I hope to win the power of veto so I can stay another week Scotch Free."

I guess she's got a serious drinking problem!

One of the contestants of the Big Brother Show on CBS just a few nights ago, while in the confession room talking about needing to win a competition to keep from being voted off the show said: "I hope to win the power of veto so I can stay another week Scotch Free."

I guess she's got a serious drinking problem!

or just liquor on the brain.

I love metaphors that people have mixed up. Like "that gravy on the cake." And "up a creek with out a leg to stand on." And people who use the wrong words, like "I was drunk and the police COMPOUNDED my car." Can't you just see the cops polishing that car? Do you have favorites? :P

My favorite is "unloosen". I guess that means to tighten something.

I had a friend who said his son was "throwing out racial epaulettes." And another friend who said that the spooky evening was ethereal and pronounced it "ethel real." I love this stuff. It just cracks me up. :P