Mixed metaphors and "wrong" words

escapee

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those were deliberate mistakes, Regardless what others may think!

Regardless. Might as well just go ahead and rake fingernails down a blackboard.

Ok, how 'bout people who confuse LIE and LAY.

And saying "I haven't drank a beer in days." EEEEK!

Regardless. Might as well just go ahead and rake fingernails down a blackboard.

Ok, how 'bout people who confuse LIE and LAY.

And saying "I haven't drank a beer in days." EEEEK!

i had another friend that used liberry (library) and yet another one that used pacific (specific). (can i borrow your use of 'eeek' too? please...?!)

Edited by houstonmacbro

And once it even took a jury to determine Lay and Lie.

That's pretty good. You're always thinkin' ain'tcha?

The "plush" blonde, from the earlier post, could never figure out on the first try which of the two door keys to use at our office. They looked identical -- one for the office, the other for the restroom. Every morning we heard one key go into the office lock, pull out, then the other go in, then the door open. So, finally, I suggested she put nail polish on the office key. She looked delighted, the stated, "That's a great idea. I think I have some clear polish in my desk drawer." :wacko:

I love metaphors that people have mixed up. Like "that gravy on the cake." And "up a creek with out a leg to stand on." And people who use the wrong words, like "I was drunk and the police COMPOUNDED my car." Can't you just see the cops polishing that car? Do you have favorites? :P

Gasp! In commenting on a coworker's homemade mustang grape wine, I used the phrase "Well, I'm no connosieur, but..."

...only I caught myself after the fact, having pronounced it "con-o-sewer".

Then I pointed out my mistake and made it again in the process of pointing it out.

Gasp! In commenting on a coworker's homemade mustang grape wine, I used the phrase "Well, I'm no connosieur, but..."

...only I caught myself after the fact, having pronounced it "con-o-sewer".

Then I pointed out my mistake and made it again in the process of pointing it out.

That does it mister... 12 lashes for making the same mistake twice.

I saw this recently in another topic from one of my favorite posters. Come on! Confess! You know who you are! You can get back at me someday.

"They were really neat, but I was never allowed to have one. My parents really depraved me of a lot of fun stuff." Bold italics.. mine.

I saw this recently in another topic from one of my favorite posters. Come on! Confess! You know who you are! You can get back at me someday.

"They were really neat, but I was never allowed to have one. My parents really depraved me of a lot of fun stuff." Bold italics.. mine.

What an idiot! I'd a called that dude out on it, T-Bird!

There is one faux pas that I don't mind, and that is when comparing two or more items, places, etc. In fact, there is an ongoing post about "What are the big differences between Dallas, Atlanta, and Houston?".

When comparing two things, you say the difference "between" the two. When there are three or more things, you would say the difference(s) "among" the group. However, it sounds awkward to me to use "among".

Fun with homophones!

The distinctions between "there," "their," and "they're" also seem to be lost on some people.

On a related note, I don't know why people have so much trouble keeping "its" and "it's" straight. (In case any of my fellow HAIFers are confused, the former is the possessive form of "it," and the latter is a contraction of "it is" or "it has.")

Add "your" and "you're" to those... mostly, the use of "your" where "you're" should be used.

I'm guilty of mispronouncing some words.

The ones I have problems with for some reason words that sound the same but with a change in consonants. For example:

president

precedent

there are a few other words out there that drive me a little insane, so I just use different words if I'm able. :)

Nah, just your common, everyday smartass.

can we say a** here? lol

Like, is there anyone else, who, like, when you hear, like, someone using a certain word, constantly, in his or her conversation that it, like, drives you crazy?

i had a classmate that used 'essentially' in EVERY sentence. drove me friggin' crazy.