Sakowitz Department Store At 1111 Main St.

citykid09

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't there already an AT&T store a block away? In the corner of the Reliant Building?
The ATT store in the Reliant building in now gone. Where? Don't know.
Ok......it is not going to be an AT&T store. I am relieved.Les Grivals would make sense in this space. It is indeed right next to the convienance store (which needs to be gone by the time the Pavillions open.....it is an eyesore).
I don't know if we can stand to lose the Chester Fried Chicken from that dump. Something needs to be done about the bums on that block. Just walking along infront of Macy's most days you can smell the piss.

Oh they are there generally, begging and accosting woman. Just the other week I almost got into it with a guy who said "youra fine delicate flower, lets hook up" to a woman! (She seemed upset, yet kept walking.... and I couldn't just ignore it)

I try to not walk near there due to the smell! (I actually saw today someone working on the overhang roof -- some type of repair).

That is prime real-estate, I don't know why something better is not in that corner!

That is prime real-estate, I don't know why something better is not in that corner!

The owner of the convenience store is making money, is happy with the money he's making. He'd like to make the store and vacant space next door (that he owns) a lot better, but wants to find a tenant who could make it work, and with little financial commitment from him. He's open to ideas....

The Sakowitz bldg, I believe, is still up for sale, and a property transaction always slows things down.

The ATT store in the Reliant building in now gone. Where? Don't know.

They moved in to the old Krispy Kreme location @ McKinney & Main.

EDIT - Hizzy beat me to it. Tough to read through the long threads.....

On a related note, I noticed that an art gallery (I think) moved in to a spot in the Humble Oil/Residence Inn/Courtyard Marriott building. It looked like all they had were a bunch of oddly colored Nike's and a suit of armor, so they might be a wierd shoe store.

Haha yeah it's a shoe store that looks like an art gallery.

Ah, makes more sense that way, I suppose. I just didn't see any indication that they were selling shoes on their signs, just a reference of some kind to art. I need to pay more attention. Seems like a tough place for retail at the moment, but maybe selling something so specialized will bring people in. Should be better one the HP open up, hope that they can make it that long.

If anything, retail will probably hold it's breath in the area until HP opens up. There are too many disruptions and not enough foot traffic at the moment to fully justify a location there.

once HP opens up and they see people are walking around, then I would expect more proper retail.

That reminds me (and I know this is the wrong thread for it), but I wonder if that convenience store on walker and main will thrive or not survive the construction at Mainspace.

That reminds me (and I know this is the wrong thread for it), but I wonder if that convenience store on walker and main will thrive or not survive the construction at Mainspace.

Is that the "Just a $1.19" store? One might hope that it does not make it given the crackhead congregation that hangs around out front, although with as many construction workers as it will take to build that tower, I imagine that it could do very well selling gatorade and cigarettes by the truckload during the summer.

If anything, retail will probably hold it's breath in the area until HP opens up. There are too many disruptions and not enough foot traffic at the moment to fully justify a location there.

once HP opens up and they see people are walking around, then I would expect more proper retail.

My thoughts exactly.

What fun to read this thread!

I moved to Houston in 1968 (my senior year at "then" Robert E. Lee High School) and my Mom worked at Joskes Post Oak. She got me a temporary job there and I ended up staying almost 5 years. Whenever I was home from college, Mrs. Ginsmer would let me work. :)

I remember Sakowitz well though we rarely bought much. I can't remember if the Neiman's was built that year or already there, but I know there was no Galleria! Neiman's had a special sale and I bought a full length khaki trench coat for 36$!!! I still have that thing after 40 years and it still looks great. I used to drape it over chairs so the label would show!

What was on the other corner? Was it a Weingartens? I hat to go to that area now; traffic is terrible and prices are atrocious. Way back when I first worked at Joskes we were restricted to navy, black, grey, and burgundy dresses and suits. Times have sure changed!!

I walked by again today and noticed some new postings. They are advertising the space as the "Grand Louvre" (you know......kind of like Paris), encompassing 10 individually leased booths for everything from "sunglasses, perfumes, to souvenirs."

I don't think this is the ideal kind of development to augment the Pavillions.

Well, you would imagine that it would be timed better, like within a month or so of HP's opening.

I'm not entirely sure how it would work out, but it should be interesting to watch, but their timing might be their own undoing.

I finally got to go to an American Apparel recently in Chicago. I'm sorry to say that it was unimpressive, to say the least. At first I thoght American Airlines had opened a ticket office, but then I realised American Apparel just uses the same font for their name.

QUOTE(The Great Hizzy! @ Wednesday, November 7th, 2007 @ 8:47am)

Probably just small, cosmetic changes.

The owner is fixing it up for future occupancy, is looking for potential tenants. Any ideas?

Well for starters he may want to get rid of his store next door. That place is a vagrant vestibule.

I finally got to go to an American Apparel recently in Chicago. I'm sorry to say that it was unimpressive, to say the least. At first I thoght American Airlines had opened a ticket office, but then I realised American Apparel just uses the same font for their name.

I disagree... I like American Apparel... they have great body-fitting t-shirts and fun, colorful underwear... among other things. :)

I'm with you... I'm not sure I've ever described any pair of underwear I own as "fun"
Well I feel sorry for you! :P he he

On another note... I see they updated their "opening" date to fall 2007... kind of stupid since fall 2007 is almost over already and they haven't even started on the store. :rolleyes: ohwell

Archived