One Park Place: Multifamily At 1400 McKinney St.

GovernorAggie

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I'm guessing One Park Place is doing well proving there is a demand for residential downtown.

This may actually be our best bet because there may be a glut in downtown office towers the next 5-10 years. It would be nice to see residential towers pick up the pace downtown because with residential comes new needs- retail, restaurants, and other people places. Downtown has the chance to make tremendous growth if it does it right!

Don't be too sure. I think we're pretty likely to see another office tower within 5 years. The Hines people at the grand opening of BG Group Place said similar things (without a specific time horizon). In spite of all the warnings of office gluts repeatedly published by the Chron and Ralph Biviins over the past decade, we just cant seem to get a decent glut going in this town. ;-)

• 4 years later...

One Park Place is in the 77010 zip code. That zip code is the wealthiest in Texas, I am told as it has the residents of One Park Place and the residents of the 4 Seasons apartments/condos in it but, basically, nobody else.

One Park Place sits across LaBranch from Discovery Green that draws 1.2 million visitors per year by their own count.

One Park Place is within two blocks of three hotels and all those tourists.

One Park Place has a B-cycle rack directly in front of it.

So.......

Any thoughts as to why the retail space at the corner of LaBranch and Lamar (street level, in the One Park Place building) has never been leased in, what, five years? Or, has it? I walk by there quite a bit but I don't think I recall seeing any "for lease" signs up. I would think that this would be amazing retail space for something. ........ Speculation on why it's not rented?

Uhhh, just look at it. You cant even tell it's a retail slot. I had a huge post about this in another thread, they designed it all wrong, and any retailer who takes a risk would probably fail. It is too hidden and set back WAYYY too far from the street. And I doubt OPP would allow them to put up any bright/neon signage to make it more visible.

I have considered the "competition with Phoenicia/MKT bar as one possible issue. If that were the case, a lot of potential businesses would be blocked: convenience stores, bars, takeout foods, restaraunts, etc.

The set back I have also considered. While it does setback quite a bit on the front, it actually has Windows on the sidewalk on the Lamar side. And, what?, maybe, 300 residents with a fair bit of disposable income and 20 building staff above? As for signage, I don't know what the building would allow but I would think that they would allow something like Pheonicia has now (a lighted sign on the corner of the building that stands proud of the corner as I recall) and a huge lighted green neon sign too). The corner sign would attract a lot of attention as it would be on the Lamar-LaBranch building corner. The lighted sign may or may not be allowed by the building owners but they did it on the "back" of the building for Pheonicia.

The perplexing thing to me is that it seems that they aren't even trying to lease it. I don't recall seeing a "for lease" sign in the Windows.

Any other thoughts?

Is the space too big/too small? Improperly configured inside?

I wonder if the building owner is just going to wait until these "possible" competition issues expire with Pheonica and then put a bistro or ice cream parlor or something in there using the sidewalk for an outdoor cafe?

I have debated with myself what retail would work best here and I arrived at a Brooks Brothers. I know not everyone will agree so remember it's just my humble opinion. Here are my reasons:

1. The demographic described as living in close proximity.

2. All the business folks that work in downtown.

3. Business travelers that may need some dress clothes in a hurry.

4. The coservative nature of the building and retail space.

5. It does not need the volume of other stores to stay afloat.

LIke I said just my opinion and either way I hope it does get filled soon with something.

I have debated with myself what retail would work best here and I arrived at a Brooks Brothers. I know not everyone will agree so remember it's just my humble opinion. Here are my reasons:

1. The demographic described as living in close proximity.

2. Business travelers that may need some dress clothes in a hurry

3. The coservative nature of the building and retail space.

4. It does not need the volume of other stores to stay afloat.

LIke I said just my opinion and either way I hope it does get filled soon with something.

A good idea. I know I would have given them some money over the years if they were there.

I recall my dad mentioning that they used to have a store on Main before DT went to complete crap.

I would shop there too if they opened a Brooks Brothers. Excellent thought! Maybe a local Men's store like Norton Ditto?

Or, alternatively....... And this is a stretch..... What about something like Design Within Reach?

But, back on topic...... There are two solid hypotheses above regarding why it is t leased. Any other thoughts?

I think I'll vote for an Apple Store now that I think about it.

They would draw from 1.5m people from the Park like mosquitos. They would draw from 100,000 daily office workers too. And all the conventioneers. The space is likely too small for an Apple Store though (they seem to be getting bigger and bigger). So, I am inventing a new concept "Apple Urban Boutique"...... Yah, that's it!

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/1998/08/17/newscolumn5.html

Well there you have it : (

As for the Apple store I think it would be a great addition but it is not going in the retail spot under OPP. Like someone mentioned they are going bigger and have a flare for the dramatic. With that said maybe they should lease the retail spot in 609 Main at the corner of Texas and Main. Very visable, accessible by rail, in between Market Square and Minute Maid Park and still walking distance from Discovery Green.

I just wish I had the capital to make some of these ideas happen, lol.

As for the Apple store I think it would be a great addition but it is not going in the retail spot under OPP. Like someone mentioned they are going bigger and have a flare for the dramatic. With that said maybe they should lease the retail spot in 609 Main at the corner of Texas and Main. Very visable, accessible by rail, in between Market Square and Minute Maid Park and still walking distance from Discovery Green.

Wow so I was only off by 17 years.

Christ I'm getting old. :(

I think an Apple store on Main would be pretty awesome!

As for the Apple store I think it would be a great addition but it is not going in the retail spot under OPP. Like someone mentioned they are going bigger and have a flare for the dramatic. With that said maybe they should lease the retail spot in 609 Main at the corner of Texas and Main. Very visable, accessible by rail, in between Market Square and Minute Maid Park and still walking distance from Discovery Green.

• 6 months later...

Awesome! I keep forgetting there's a retail space right there. Nice to know there will be a terrace with seating in front of the building. Can't wait to see how it turns out. This part of downtown will be amazing once everything is in place.

Archived