One Park Place: Multifamily At 1400 McKinney St.

GovernorAggie

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe, but I'm going to wait until I have a real job to afford a serious lens. A Canon L series would be nice.

This photo was taken at 10x optical zoom from my roof with no tripod and then cropped to 100%. I think I was also shooting at ISO 800 and a rather low F# because of the clouds, so its maybe not as sharp as it could be, but in general I'm happy with the lens that I used. I'm also not as picky about a construction photo like this as I would with something that I would be likely to actually want to keep... (such as the stuff I post on Flickr).

Maybe, but I'm going to wait until I have a real job to afford a serious lens. A Canon L series would be nice.

This photo was taken at 10x optical zoom from my roof with no tripod and then cropped to 100%. I think I was also shooting at ISO 800 and a rather low F# because of the clouds, so its maybe not as sharp as it could be, but in general I'm happy with the lens that I used. I'm also not as picky about a construction photo like this as I would with something that I would be likely to actually want to keep... (such as the stuff I post on Flickr).

Ok, maybe its just the lack of a tripod or the lighting or something, but I can get nearly as good quality out of my Canon Powershot Pro 1 with a 7x optical zoom from the top of a parking garage at three times the distance and letting the camera control for ISO and F-stop.

EDIT: Or maybe you ought to sign up for marksmanship lessons to help you steady your hand. I've found that the control of breathing comes in real handy when I'm without a tripod at dusk.

Edited by TheNiche

Thanks for the suggestions

Maybe I just need to stop posting less than perfect photos on here... I just thought people would be interested in seeing how tall the building is getting so I didn't really care to try to take a perfect photo of it. I just snapped one shot while I was up on the roof.

Is this one sharp enough for you? Entirely different subject matter, I know, but it does a better job of showing off the capability of this lens.

Edited by Jax

Thanks for the suggestions

Maybe I just need to stop posting less than perfect photos on here... I just thought people would be interested in seeing how tall the building is getting so I didn't really care to try to take a perfect photo of it. I just snapped one shot while I was up on the roof.

Is this one sharp enough for you? Entirely different subject matter, I know, but it does a better job of showing off the capability of this lens.

I don't know, it kinda' looks a bit fuzzy, but that just may be the feathers or the drugs. I'll let you know later.

Don't pay too much attention to what he says, Jax. Many on here appreciate your photos.

Gee. Makes me wonder what he think about MY crappy photos.

Which reminds me: I got a new camera. :)

Don't pay too much attention to what he says, Jax. Many on here appreciate your photos.

Gee. Makes me wonder what he think about MY crappy photos.

I wouldn't bother suggesting anything about equipment or technique if Jax was a sucky photographer. He takes himself and his hobby seriously, so I thought I'd treat him as such. The comments were genuine in intent...I'm sorry if they came off as snide.

Edited by TheNiche

I didn't see it that way. I thought it was good, sincere advice. In any case, I like the vantage point Jax uses to photograph OPP. Though I agree that there's a fuzzy quality to it, which I'd bet is along the lines of what Niche was saying about the hand not being quite steady enough.

Were you crouching when you took that last photo, Jax?

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

Don't stop posting photos Jax. Many of us who don't have the time to go out and take photos (especially ones as good as yours) REALLY appreciate it. Just like any art form, less than perfect photos are sometimes the ones that make the biggest impact and say the most.

Respectfully, everybody ought to choose their words with care regarding the quality of photos on this website. This website is not about photographic excellence (although I personally see few photos as good as Jax's and Boris' here). It is about capturing relevant photos of Houston during this great time building construction. Everyone should be encouraged to post relevant photos.

I'm sure Jax doesn't come to HAIF for a critique of his photos or because he needs technical advice about cameras. He's doing us a favor. Please respect that.

It's cool. No worries. Next time it'll be sharper. :)

I could have gone up and re-shot this one when the sun came out but I figured it was good enough of an illustration of how tall the building was getting, and I was having too much fun reading by the pool and preparing to cook some barbecue to go back up to the roof and re-take it. :) Thanks for the advice Niche.

P.S. Keep in mind that HAIF resizes and re-compresses JPEGs when you upload (at least I think it does), so the photos on Flickr generally look better.

Edited by Jax

Passed by on Sunday and it looks like the building topped out.

I don't think so. What makes you think that? Look at Jax's latest picture and then look at the rendering on the last page of Discovery Tower. It looks like OPP is going to be several floors taller than Hou Ctr 5.

• 4 weeks later...

some new pics! and im not sure if they are putting up a new crane or taking one down.. im pretty sure that they are putting one up. ( look at the last and maybe the second pic )

dt140.jpg">

dt143.jpg">

dt138.jpg">

dt045.jpg">

dt048.jpg">

dt049.jpg">

dt084.jpg

">

dt141.jpg">

Edited by pm91

Great photos pm91! Its really coming along, I can't wait to see how the roof turn out.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think they have one more floor to go and they had added an additional section to the crane, so I guess they're about to start on the roof.

Also, a few nights ago they had closed one of the streets and saw a BIG crane, but I could not tell if they were assembling or disassembling it.

• 3 weeks later...
That is 5 Houston Center built in the early 2000s.

yeah, one of my favorite buildings in downtown

Funny Story:(on Sat.)

when we went to the Shops at Houston ctr.

we decided to go to the park through the towers via skywalks, but i forgot you needed a card to go from fullbright tower to 5 houston center

so we ended up walking to the park from FBright Tower

Multi-family developer Marvy Finger of the Finger Cos. has announced the topping out of the 37-story One Park Place, a high-rise residential tower in downtown Houston. One Park Place will have 346 rental residences, 12 on each floor, adjacent to the 12-acre Discovery Green, the new downtown park. The general contractor is D.E. Harvey Builders and the tower was designed by Jackson & Ryan Architects. Residences will range from 800-sf to 2,615-sf (excluding penthouses) with an average monthly rental rate of $2,500. Initial occupancy is scheduled for March. To celebrate the topping out, Finger hosted 700 construction workers for a barbecue lunch, which was attended by Mayor Bill White.

http://www.realtynewsreport.com/index.htm