The Heights Information & Developments

jookyhc

My folks knew the Chadwicks, and I used to get a warm feeling every time I passed that old station. But it's long past time that place was razed.

For some reason, Yale Street has been slow to respond to all the renovation of the Heights area. I know there is traffic considerations for residential use. But it seems like it would make a great location for some upscale businesses.

i have thought the same thing but then i think of the strip of westheimer near waugh. that area can't sustain businesses for anything. i think yale has the same couple of problems. 1) the commercial properties that are there are shabby (at least in appearance) so no one wants to risk opening something nice next to them. B) parking and traffic concerns- there is a long distance between stops. it makes businesses easy to miss. there are no obvious places to park (which i credit to a lot of the westheimer failures). it's almost too much traffic- too busy- with no reasont to slow down and look at anything. and you're not going to walk and window shop with all the crud in between...

JMO. curious to see what other HAIFers think...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have thought the same thing but then i think of the strip of westheimer near waugh. that area can't sustain businesses for anything. i think yale has the same couple of problems. 1) the commercial properties that are there are shabby (at least in appearance) so no one wants to risk opening something nice next to them. B) parking and traffic concerns- there is a long distance between stops. it makes businesses easy to miss. there are no obvious places to park (which i credit to a lot of the westheimer failures). it's almost too much traffic- too busy- with no reasont to slow down and look at anything. and you're not going to walk and window shop with all the crud in between...

JMO. curious to see what other HAIFers think...

the strongest area seems to be around 19th and 20th st. That would be a good place to start and expand outwards from there.

After I posted the question, I thought about the problems of parking along Yale. However, those lots seem to be deep enough to build a row of shops, and still have plenty of room to park, as is evident on 11th and Yale where the Eckerd

Yale has some decent commercial retail and restaurant activity around White Oak (Dry Creek, Chic Warehouse, the Hispanic import store, art gallery). Yale at 11th will pick up as well with the newly renovated shopping center.

I actually like the lack of an I-10 exit for Yale because that probably makes Yale less trafficky. I would not be surprised if Yale ended up like Bissonett in Southampton or Woodhead north of Westheimer -- both have residential converted to retail.

Slightly OT, but my wife recently overheard 3 women talking baout the great restaurant they ate at called "shahday". It took a minute for my wife to realize they were talking about Shade.

I've been wanting to go there since it's so close, but if that's how you're supposed to say it I'm not sure I want to any more. Makes all the difference in the world.

Edited by 20thStDad

I've been wanting to go there since it's so close, but if that's how you're supposed to say it I'm not sure I want to any more. Makes all the difference in the world.

My wife and her friends love Shade. She was jsut surprised to hear the mispronunciation of th ename, and thought it was funny in a "aren't they stupid" kind of way.

I still can't get over the 7 inches of space between them. One day that'll need painting or cleaning, no way it gets done unless a 7 year old is willing.

They actually have a couple feet between them but they extended the brick facade to hide a bit of that space. It was quite a tight fit for the scaffolding as they were putting up the hardi-plank siding on the side walls though. I did notice that they put fire barrier on before the siding so I think that means it's less than 3 feet.

So, recently I've noticed a lot of action happening on lower Yale (between I-10 and 20th)... Whats everyones opinions on what going to happen? You think there will be more townhomes go in or do you think maybe some commercial? I'm hoping for some commercial or eateries of some sort. With Yale being the next Studewood I would like to see it develope in that manor. Opinions on what to look forward to? I'm at 12th and Yale and getting excited about what might happen.

I live right on Yale. I think our street is busy enough. I would really like to see more people fixing up the older homes on our street instead of tearing them down and putting six butt-ugly condos where one bungalow had been. But if someone would like to put in an Indian restaurant I wouldn't complain. & please no more banks....

So, recently I've noticed a lot of action happening on lower Yale (between I-10 and 20th)... Whats everyones opinions on what going to happen? You think there will be more townhomes go in or do you think maybe some commercial? I'm hoping for some commercial or eateries of some sort. With Yale being the next Studewood I would like to see it develope in that manor. Opinions on what to look forward to? I'm at 12th and Yale and getting excited about what might happen.

I'm at 10th and Yale... one thing I do know is they are going to build more homes (I guess townhomes but not 100% sure) on the one empty lot at this intersection. They have the site roped off... we also received something in the mail about it. I would also like to see more commercial places go up... apparently there is going to be a gym at 11th and Yale.

• 2 weeks later...

Heh. I sincerely doubt that my father -- nor any of his neighbors for that matter -- know what arugula is, much less make a habit out of eating fancy lettuces when they eat salads (which is rarely). I can also vouch for the fact that he hates lattes and, in fact, hates anything coffee-related that isn't actual black coffee, no sugar, no cream.

Nice try, Chron. :)

huh, always found the Heights to be scruffy and full of nut cases. Anyone who calls this place elitist has either never seen much of the world or is demented :D

I adore both lattes and arugula. But I don't think I'm elitist. I had lunch at Jack in the Box yesterday.

I don't live in the Heights, but I would LIKE to live in the Heights. But I can't afford it. Maybe if I gave up the lattes and arugula....

Heh. I sincerely doubt that my father -- nor any of his neighbors for that matter -- know what arugula is, much less make a habit out of eating fancy lettuces when they eat salads (which is rarely). I can also vouch for the fact that he hates lattes and, in fact, hates anything coffee-related that isn't actual black coffee, no sugar, no cream.

Nice try, Chron. :)

John Stewart told us ALL. It is down right UN-American to eat anything other than ICEBERG lettuce !!!

I remeber when The Heights smelled like patchouli oil and dirty birkenstocks.

No Coog, that was The Shiloh, if you would ever dare to show your ugly mug at one of our meets, you would know that ! ;):P:lol:

Shiloh is GO for launch !