Northside Village Information & Developments

nmainguy

Hey, get you sledghammer, you would be legal to do so now and saving a little taxpayer money doing it yourself.

Also, think of the relief and good feelings you'll from destroying it.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be stunned if carping on this forum actually got something done. I will also be impressed at the City's quick response.

BTW, I wonder if this includes the wall at the back of the compound, as well. It is not as bad, but it still looks like encroachment on the ROW.

I will be stunned if carping on this forum actually got something done.  I will also be impressed at the City's quick response.

BTW, I wonder if this includes the wall at the back of the compound, as well.  It is not as bad, but it still looks like encroachment on the ROW.

Red:

They told the city they would tear it down this week. I'm still trying to get an answer on the alley ROW issue. I was surprised Garcia's office responded so quickly...gotta keep the voters happy!

I found Garcia and his staff to be quite responsive on neighborhood issues. He is also my council member for Cottage Grove. He's always willing to meet to discuss issues and set up a plan of action.

I think nmainguy deserves a round of applause for taking action. It's one thing to identify a problem, but to follow through is what really counts.

We complain about city government, yet how many of us have given them a chance to respond? For example, a sidewalk remained uncompleted for months at the corner of Hawthorne and Montrose. I put in a call to the city, and the work was completed within a few days.

Just last week, I reported a sign which had been knocked down by a car several months ago, and it was fixed within three days.

I think nmainguy deserves a round of applause for taking action. It's one thing to identify a problem, but to follow through is what really counts.

We complain about city government, yet how many of us have given them a chance to respond? For example, a sidewalk remained uncompleted for months at the corner of Hawthorne and Montrose. I put in a call to the city, and the work was completed within a few days.

Just last week, I reported a sign which had been knocked down by a car several months ago, and it was fixed within three days.

Thanks, dbigtex56 ^_^

You know, say there was a section in an Internet forum where people could write about something wrong going on such as ROW encroachments that effect other neighbors, and if others so choose they could join the poster in contacting 311 which would help push the issue to the top of their list. That would be pretty neat.

You know, say there was a section in an Internet forum where people could write about something wrong going on such as ROW encroachments that effect other neighbors, and if others so choose they could join the poster in contacting 311 which would help push the issue to the top of their list. That would be pretty neat.

Excellent idea, HGuy. God knows there is no lack of encroachments in the Heights area. I've heard some people say, "Well, it's always been there." That's the laziest and most lame attitude of all.

The wall remains untouched so I guess I'll be doing some phone calls Monday to se why what I was told was going to be done hasen't been done. I don't want this to become my life's obsession-I just want the damn wall down and the alley opened up. Is that too much to ask???????Well IS IT????...see, I'm teetering on the brink ;)

Yeah, it's me again...here to ask a favor: If you live in District H and would like to help me out, email Rhonda.Sauter@cityofhouston.net regarding the "wall that won't move" There's strength in numbers here. I'd appriciate anything you guys could offer.

I passed by this weekend. The "Great Wall" is still standing. Did anyone notice the property next to the compound? From what I could see at night, it looks like a fairly new home but the lot's backyard has been cleared all the way back to Aurora. I wonder if someone is creating a "Mini-me" compound. Same owner? Family related?

*shrug*

Will do.  Actually, I look forward to it.

Thanks RedScare, I appriciate it.

kgb434: If the owner complains? About being reported to the city for encroching on city ROW? And that would worry me because?

"Why not the neighbors do it yourself?" Do what? Tear down an 8' tall concrete reenforced wall? I'll be contacting Mr. and Mrs. "90 Yo-Long Time Resident-in Wheelchairs"right away.

I passed by this weekend.  The "Great Wall" is still standing.  Did anyone notice the property next to the compound?  From what I could see at night, it looks like a fairly new home but the lot's backyard has been cleared all the way back to Aurora.  I wonder if someone is creating a "Mini-me" compound.  Same owner?  Family related?

*shrug*

I don't know if they are related. HCAD shows different names for the 2 properties. I think the "Great Wall" people had a vegetable patc on the Aurora side at one time.

I'm sure there are people in the neighborhood taht can go stand by it with signs and bring some hammers and bang away at least in symbology.

If the owner come out and complain, just say you are on city right of way. Any damage to the wall you create isn't his anyway.

If the owner come out and complain, just say you are on city right of way. 

This here's Texas.

Someone who's a big enough jerk to construct such a wall might want to argue the legal fine points with a shotgun.

Besides, why should neighbors work for free? The wall needs to be removed at the owner's expense.

This here's Texas.

Someone who's a big enough jerk to construct such a wall might want to argue the legal fine points with a shotgun.

Besides, why should neighbors work for free? The wall needs to be removed at the owner's expense.

Thank you, dbigtex. My sentiments exactly. I was just by there about 30 minutes ago and took a good, hard look at the wall. It's built like a fortification...and I have no intention of wasting an ounce of my energy doing the jerk's work.

• 2 weeks later...

"Great Wall" update:

It is STILL there. I was informed on 8.2.05 that the wall would be torn down "THIS WEEK" by Rhonda Sauter, Constituent Services Director

Office of Council Member Adrian Garcia, District H

713-247-2003

Sauter, Rhonda - CNL <Rhonda.Sauter@cityofhouston.net>

[just incase anyone want's to contact her and ask her if she just told me this to shut me up] NO demolition has been done. None. Nada. Zip...

How frustrating. Anyone have any ideas? Marvin Zindler? Akin's Army?

The tooth fairy?

Seriously, this is such a pisser, being lyed to in such a blatant way. Like getting screwed with your pants on and then being asked, "Was it good for you?"

I called this Sauter woman in Garcia's office this morning basicly to give them one last chance to come clean. She was so perky! She said she would see if they had issued a permit for the demolition yet. I asked her: "For the demolition? They have to have a permit to demolish what they illegaly built in the ROW?" Long silence. "I don't know-doesn't make sense. I'll find out." She said she'd get back to me this afternoon-which has come and gone.

It also occured to me that these people have built over the alley-about 100' x 15'-1500 sq/ft not platted and not on the apprasial district tax roles. I guess I need to talk to the DA or the tax assessor [?]. I don't mind chasing this down but I do have a life of sorts ;) so if anyone could steer me to some short-cuts, I'd appriciate it.

as cheeseball as it may sound, ol marvin tends to get into things pretty quickly and efficiently...

i know someone who contacted marvin zindler about a similar issue (it was a construction company and not a homeowner, though...). not too much time went by and the head of the company came over to plead with her not to go on television with it since they had been contacted by marvin...(and they resolved the problem).

it is a little dramatic though... :lol:

as cheeseball as it may sound, ol marvin tends to get into things pretty quickly and efficiently...

i know someone who contacted marvin zindler about a similar issue (it was a construction company and not a homeowner, though...).  not too much time went by and the head of the company came over to plead with her not to go on television with it since they had been contacted by marvin...(and they resolved the problem).

it is a little dramatic though... :lol:

I'm not adverse to a little drama-just not sure Marv is up to it anymore. do you know anything about akin's army?

Archived