Northside Village Information & Developments

nmainguy

It's not the Heights, but it isn't far ... I use Ms. Nhu at Nhu's Tailors. She's next to the Alabama shopping center (ex-Bookstop, Cactus, etc). I've only used her to hem pants/jeans (she will keep the bottoms if you want), but my wife used to work as a personal assistant and her employers sent anything from everyday to couture over there.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not the Heights, but it isn't far ... I use Ms. Nhu at Nhu's Tailors. She's next to the Alabama shopping center (ex-Bookstop, Cactus, etc). I've only used her to hem pants/jeans (she will keep the bottoms if you want), but my wife used to work as a personal assistant and her employers sent anything from everyday to couture over there.

Thanks for the recommendation! I will give them a try. I ended up having to be a personal assistant to my boss's wife, not an easy task! I refused to see the movie "Devil Wears Prada" since I had lived it... I will take my quiet Heights life over the River Oaks/Aspen set (now I know why people in colorado dont like Texans)!

Well, my wife didn't have it too bad, and we now have a pretty good list of contacts for caterers, tailors, and all kinds of random stuff that we can't afford...

Ms. Nhu will treat you right. It doesn't hurt that she always tells me how handsome i am. After she asks about the wife and baby, of course :wub: Tell her Ryan sent you, but don't hold me responsible for any flattery you might receive.

• 2 weeks later...

So centerpoint is doing poll maintenance in the heights and first ward. This includes digging down around the poll. The polls are in the right away, but the property is well manicured and maintained by a group of townhome residents - the polls are right in front of the houses. I understand the grass will need to be torn up, but they put it back completely uneven and leave dirt all over the sidewalk and street. It's a complete mess. It's almost as bad was when the public works dept messes with anything. So now, the homeowners (through the HOA) must pay to have the landscapers correct it. This kinda stuff absolutely infuriates me. Anyone else have this issue? I would call and complain, but even if they do come out - it'll be a half arse fix.

So centerpoint is doing poll maintenance in the heights and first ward. This includes digging down around the poll. The polls are in the right away, but the property is well manicured and maintained by a group of townhome residents - the polls are right in front of the houses. I understand the grass will need to be torn up, but they put it back completely uneven and leave dirt all over the sidewalk and street. It's a complete mess. It's almost as bad was when the public works dept messes with anything. So now, the homeowners (through the HOA) must pay to have the landscapers correct it. This kinda stuff absolutely infuriates me. Anyone else have this issue? I would call and complain, but even if they do come out - it'll be a half arse fix.

Maybe you should take a pole.

They always do whatever I ask. Tighten sagging lines, cut limbs, etc. But, then again, I'm nice to them. I talk to them, joke around, make them feel equal to me. I do the same with the city employees and phone and cable guys, too. One time, the garbage collector actually got out of his truck and knocked on my door to warn me that my trash was overstuffed and could cause them to skip me. I'm amazed at how much extra stuff I get from all of these workers. I guess it's the old saying, "You get more bees with honey than vinegar."

They always do whatever I ask. Tighten sagging lines, cut limbs, etc. But, then again, I'm nice to them. I talk to them, joke around, make them feel equal to me. I do the same with the city employees and phone and cable guys, too. One time, the garbage collector actually got out of his truck and knocked on my door to warn me that my trash was overstuffed and could cause them to skip me. I'm amazed at how much extra stuff I get from all of these workers. I guess it's the old saying, "You get more bees with honey than vinegar."

Well I'm at work when they are here during the day. Do I need to take vacation days to stay home and kiss their arse for them to do a competent job?

Your insinuation that I was pissing vinegar on them isn’t accurate, but thanks for the assumption.

Well I'm at work when they are here during the day. Do I need to take vacation days to stay home and kiss their arse for them to do a competent job?

Your insinuation that I was pissing vinegar on them isn’t accurate, but thanks for the assumption.

He might get a better response on HAIF if he applied his CenterPoint practices to the internet.

Geeez Red, don't you see the contradiction in your post?

Did you ask Centerpoint directly if they have plans to mitigate the damage?

They (well, their subcontractors, who my husband nicknamed "team mayhem") re-worked the gas line in front of our place in December, and tore the crap out of the public right of way between our sidewalk and the street. By the time Lights in the Heights rolled around, they had managed to at least put sand on top of the mud.

Lo and behold, two weeks ago, Team Mayhem came back around and replaced the sod. It's not great, but at least it's grass and not sand.

He might get a better response on HAIF if he applied his CenterPoint practices to the internet.

Not sure what response you think I was looking for. I was just responding to the poster's question. It was right there in the first post.

Here, let me quote it for you...

Anyone else have this issue?

And, it's true. If you ever pick up my garbage, you'll see how appreciative I am.

• 4 months later...

I noticed on HAR that some areas in Heights have maintance fees(HOA ?) while others do especially around the Rice Military area. If i moved into one w/o maintenance fees, can they just suddenly decide the following year to include a fee w/o some kind of vote? How does this work. Also, w/o a maintenance fee, how do they maintain their property values?

The short answer is... yes it could happen if you live in a recently platted "sub division." This came up in my small development of new homes. Depending on what has already been filed at the county, and what it says, generally it will take a 2/3 majority of property owners to enact an HOA and collect dues. We opted to not go forth, but the issue could be brought back up at any time.

edit: Maybe it's 3/4 vote I don't remember exactly. As far as maintenance goes, each property owner takes care of their own "stuff." Most areas inside the loop don't really have any shared or common spaces. At most maybe a driveway, and if it needs repairs we just work it out between ourselves (similar to a fence along a property line). Having HOA dues without any real amenities can hurt your resell value, because that amount of money put into a 30yr mortgage can be quite a bit of additional buying power. But if the neighbors in your development really suck I suppose you might need it. Or for true, attached townhouses it is necessary because of shared structures, utilities and insurance.

The short answer is... yes it could happen if you live in a recently platted "sub division." This came up in my small development of new homes. Depending on what has already been filed at the county, and what it says, generally it will take a 2/3 majority of property owners to enact an HOA and collect dues. We opted to not go forth, but the issue could be brought back up at any time.

edit: Maybe it's 3/4 vote I don't remember exactly. As far as maintenance goes, each property owner takes care of their own "stuff." Most areas inside the loop don't really have any shared or common spaces. At most maybe a driveway, and if it needs repairs we just work it out between ourselves (similar to a fence along a property line). Having HOA dues without any real amenities can hurt your resell value, because that amount of money put into a 30yr mortgage can be quite a bit of additional buying power. But if the neighbors in your development really suck I suppose you might need it. Or for true, attached townhouses it is necessary because of shared structures, utilities and insurance.

so freestanding ones don't apply?

so freestanding ones don't apply?

Doesn't matter if the structure is freestanding or not. As nomad said, if the property was platted as a subdivision with an HOA, it could levy homeowners fees. Most of the Heights is not governed by an HOA. However, some small developments have been replatted as subdivisions and could do so. You should research this on an individual basis. It is also a requirement to tell you if the property is so restricted, prior to your purchase of the property.

Any of those groups of homes, connected or not, that share a driveway or especially a gate will have one (think almost ALL of Shady Acres). Unless it's accessed by public right-of-way that's kind of the only way to do it.

I hope all of this is clear for you sifuwong. Most new developments in the area will have at least a "paper" HOA. Meaning the paperwork for an HOA has been filed with the county when the developer platted the subdivision, but no one is actively managing, or caring about it. This is the case for our homes (unattached new homes with shared private alleyway).

I couldn't give you numbers; but from looking at HAR and talking with neighbors a lot of new subdivision where the homes are not attached AND there is nothing like a automatic entry gate have no active HOA committees/fees. But where there is something like an access control gate or attached homes you will almost always find an active HOA and fees involved. Like RedScare said, each property will be different so make sure to do your research.

And most importantly, if there is a fee, make sure it is in-line with the amenities provided and try to verify how "strict" the HOA is concerning what you do with your property. Also, consider how much more house you could afford if you put that monthly fee into a tax-deductible, low interest 30 year mortgage. There are pros and cons for both circumstances, but any HOA will only cover the few homes in the same platted subdivision, the rest of the area is a free-for-all regardless! :)

Never mind, it is a crossfit place. Blackstar Crossfit.

Live on 24th and lately been seeing people working out at the building right on the corner of W. 24th & Durham. Anyone know what that is? Looks like a crossfit-type of setup.

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to CenterPoint Energy Utility Poll Work
  • The title was changed to Blackstar Crossfit On W. 24th St. & Durham Dr.

Archived