Crime In The Heights

PureAuteur

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not based on any actual facts (except those reported above): I'd guess that someone hit a police car with their vehicle and fled the scene on foot. If so, this individual was likely intoxicated/drugged, has a warrant out for their arrest, or is illegal (which, wouldn't matter in Houston - as a sanctuary city - but that doesn't mean it's not a motivator in fleeing).

Of course, this is purely speculation on my part.

Good grief you would think they could have enough sense to patch an exhaust leak if they drive through at 4-5am!

I'll keep my eyes peeled for these two Mensa candidates during my bouts of insomnia.

Since last Tuesday I have really noticed how many older trucks are much louder than newer ones, not sure if it is exhaust leaks or just age in general.

The burglar was also the driver, so I presume he is cruising alone though he could just have a lazy crime partner.

Since last Tuesday I have really noticed how many older trucks are much louder than newer ones, not sure if it is exhaust leaks or just age in general.

The burglar was also the driver, so I presume he is cruising alone though he could just have a lazy crime partner.

if it's really loud it's because they spent $ installing headers or performance exhaust. Waste of money. But then again, mismanaged prorities is why they're in that socioeconomic boat in the first place.

if it's really loud it's because they spent $ installing headers or performance exhaust. Waste of money. But then again, mismanaged prorities is why they're in that socioeconomic boat in the first place.

Your assuming he paid for it (truck, muffler, etc... )

• Like 1

or he has a hole in his muffler or a leak at the exhaust manifold.

• Like 1

Not neccesarily so. A true performance exhaust will help an engine (which is not much more than a large air pump) breathe better. In turn, it increases power, and generally helps increase fuel mileage. I have a performance exhaust on my vehicle, and am in a pretty good socioeconomic position. Then again, I waited until I had the time and money to do said improvements to my vehicle, instead of spending the grocery money...lol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Around 4:00 yesterday, I saw a white male walking past my house. Mid 20s, very short (almost buzz cut) blond hair. Was wearing a dirty white T-Shirt and light blue jeans. He was carrying a small shovel, which was later found in a neighbor's trash can, covered in blood. Police determined that he attempted to break the glass of the targeted house, and upon slicing up his hand, apparently aborted the job. Be on the lookout. My gut told me he looked suspicious. Had I noticed the blood when I saw the guy, I probably would and should have called the police. Keep on the lookout for anyone who fits that description acting suspicious and don't hesitate to call the police.

I suspect, and this is only my opinion, but there is a house being built down near the 1630-ish block of Harvard on the east side. For the last several months, there have been LOTS of workers and unfamiliar cars/trucks in the area. The attempted break in is in very close proximity to the new build.

Stay vigilant.

Too bad HPD refuses to do DNA testing on property crimes. DPS has a DNA database of everyone convicted of sex crimes or sentenced to TDC. But, due to cost, most police agencies won't test DNA for property crimes. If this guy is a felon, that blood would lead straight to him.

Too bad HPD refuses to do DNA testing on property crimes. DPS has a DNA database of everyone convicted of sex crimes or sentenced to TDC. But, due to cost, most police agencies won't test DNA for property crimes. If this guy is a felon, that blood would lead straight to him.

Does HPD even investigate minor property crimes? I know 20 years ago, they weren't. My car was broken into and stripped at my apartment on Bissonnet up the street from where the Ashby is going in and they wouldn't do anything about it. Just take a report over the phone was all.

Burglary of a Habitation is not considered a minor property crime, being a 2nd degree felony. But, to answer your question, No, little investigation is done on vehicle theft, and even most burglaries. There are upwards of 30,000 home burglaries a year in Houston. There simply is not the manpower to really do a good job on them.

Does HPD even investigate minor property crimes?

I did have HPD come out and follow up on an attempted burglary a few months ago.

I caught someone on my property and blocked them from leaving. (They ended up driving over my lawn to escape) We had an officer follow up a few weeks after the event, and I believe he picked up the suspects for questioning based on a few outstanding warrants they had accumulated.

What gets me is that no one ever calls the police. If you have a photos, plates, or even a decent description, call the police! As illustrated above criminals often have other issues, such as outstanding warrants, probation and/or parole violations, and they're also pretty horrible about keeping their car's inspection and registration up to date. These things get them busted more than anything else.

What gets me is that no one ever calls the police.

Residents should go to the 11th street station and fill out a police report any time there is any kind of property crime, even just a failed attempt. Police do monitor statistics and will adjust patrols based on trends.

Residents should go to the 11th street station and fill out a police report any time there is any kind of property crime, even just a failed attempt. Police do monitor statistics and will adjust patrols based on trends.

I once stood outside that station (yes, during business hours) for a solid half hour, banging on the door/windows. I called the main station downtown, and they didn't even have a current phone number for the substation. The number on the door didn't work. There were 9 cop cars parked outside.