Griff's - 3416 Roseland St.

hindesky

well dang...

i have been going to Griffs for about 26 years...in fact this is one of the first handful of places my best friend and his band Blue October played...i have an awesome photo of all of us from their first Griff's St Patrick's show they played there in maybe 97? They were known for their HUGE St Patrick's Day Parties/Events and it was always a blast! (photo below)...

and this was the place that we hung out at all the time in general...especially back in the day...and even once all the band members moved to austin and san marcos, every Christmas night since everyone was in town, we would all meet here and hang out with the cool staff (especially Prairie!)...

In the past couple of years the new owners really let the place go...so this is very interesting...and sad...RIP Griff's and just glad no one got hurt. 

(pictured:  Jeremy (drummer), Ryan (violinist), Me, Liz (bassist), Justin (lead singer/best friend), Brett (Ryan's brother).

abluegriffs.jpg

and this is us now! ...well the members now anyway as Matt took Liz's place and he is my other best friend of 24 years :) )

(Jeremy, Matt, Me, Justin, Ryan) 

me and blue .JPG

Edited by gene
  • Like 6

Another longtime Montrose institution gone. Can't say that I was ever a regular, but I certainly visited it more than a few times over the years. The first apartment I ever had in Montrose was on Roseland a couple of blocks away from there. 

I imagine St. Patrick's Day was their biggest sales day of the year - it's unfortunate this happened only two months before St. Pat's. The building looks like a total loss, and even if the owners follow through on their stated intent to rebuild, it won't be the same. That old building had a lot of history in it.  

• Like 1

Crew was boarding it up also noticed electricians, lots of old customers in the parking lot grieving with the two owners. I've been going to Griff's since I moved to Montrose and live two blocks away so I was somewhat of a regular and could stumble home after all the jello shots plus the drinks I was buying. Saw lots of Astros, Texans and Texas Tech football games here since both owners are grads of TTU.

pxjJ8gz.jpg

Drawing done by Jim Koehn of Griff's.

https://jimkoehn.com

uIAnkzL.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 4 months later...

Sign renewal permit. Is this a sign they plan on rebuilding? They have had a 40' sea can in the parking lot for a while now. I'm guessing it might have salvaged items stored in it. The fire seems to have been primarily in the northeast part of the building which only had some tv's and pool tables.

8sWtKXb.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hindesky said:

Sign renewal permit. Is this a sign they plan on rebuilding? They have had a 40' sea can in the parking lot for a while now. I'm guessing it might have salvaged items stored in it. The fire seems to have been primarily in the northeast part of the building which only had some tv's and pool tables.

I don't know. However, I recall several social media posts claiming Griff's will reopen. Granted, the posts weren't from the proprietors or management. 

There are trivia nights that serve as fundraisers for Griff's. I don't know if Griff's plans to rebuild at 3416 Roseland or relocate. If I had to guess, my assumption is Griff's will rebuild at 3416 Roseland. 

Perhaps, reach out to Griff's social media platforms and ask? 

As for the sign renewal permit, I wouldn't take it as a confirmation. Maybe wait until there is a plan review or permit for the property addressing repairs from a fire. I've noticed sign renewal permits issued to businesses (or units belonging to landowners) that are no longer in business.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Saw Debra Catlett (one of the owners of Griff's) at W. Gray Kroger. Asked her when this will start construction, she said they have to hire an engineer to determine what kind of stormwater retention system, and also waiting on permits. The fire wasn't arson so they got a insurance settlement but are suing the electrical company that did work on the heater the day before the fire.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While I was leaving Main Bird Hot Chicken I saw the owners and their bar manger going in Tutti Fruiti Frozen Yogurt a few doors down. It looked they were signing for papers for either the loan or construction papers with some other people. Donna said they hope to start construction soon and the goal is to be finished before St. Patricks Day. They will use the current structure and rebuild it. Again permits are the biggest hold up.

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...