Bolivar/Galveston Bridge

That would be great for Bolivar residents, and those coming to the island from the Beaumont area.

Those travelling to and from Beaumont would surely like it. Wonder how the Bolivar people would feel about the explosion in traffic?

If Bolivar becomes more accessible, the sleepy charactor of the town will disappear overnight. Barring a ban on new construction, a housing boom will be inevitable; soaring prices will force out long time residents. And if more people build there, that's more people to evacuate during hurricane season, and more houses to replace when they're eventually washed away. Why encourage development?

A bridge would create more problems than it would solve.

Those travelling to and from Beaumont would surely like it. Wonder how the Bolivar people would feel about the explosion in traffic?

If Bolivar becomes more accessible, the sleepy charactor of the town will disappear overnight. Barring a ban on new construction, a housing boom will be inevitable; soaring prices will force out long time residents. And if more people build there, that's more people to evacuate during hurricane season, and more houses to replace when they're eventually washed away. Why encourage development?

A bridge would create more problems than it would solve.

There is a considerable amount of development happening on the peninsula. Check it out...

http://www.guidrynews.com/05GCEN/Bolivar/21505.htm

Also MaxConcrete , You should be able to ge a good shot of the proposed bridge from Sea Wolf Park

seawolf7du.jpg

There's not much chance for a suspension bridge. Suspension bridges are much more expensive than cable-stayed bridges and are generally used only for very long spans. The required span can easily be achieved with a cable-stayed bridge, and the 2000 feasibility study recommended a cable-stayed design. Cost will be a critical factor, so you can be sure the least expensive option will be used. I don't know what influence the potential for hurricane-force winds will have, but I would guess the wind risk will tend to shorten the main span.

I think the main item of interest will be the vertical clearance. The recommended clearance of 220 feet is among the world's highest for bridges over a shipping channel. I think the highest in the world is 230 for a bridge over the Suez canal. If the vertical clearance is increased at the request of the Port of Houston, we could see a record-breaker in terms of vertical clearance. But, I think cost issues will drive TxDOT to want to keep the vertical clearance as low as possible.

Here's my dream: a record-setting vertical clearance, say 250 feet or more, and special turnout areas on the bridge for observation. I'm thinking this could be done with an extra-wide deck around the support towers. Vehicles could exit to the barrier-protected area, park, and check out the view from the record-setting height. I'm not sure if it would be technically feasible, but it certainly would be a great novelty and attraction.

That will be one long cable stayed bridge.

There is a considerable amount of development happening on the peninsula. Check it out...

http://www.guidrynews.com/05GCEN/Bolivar/21505.htm

Thanks for the link.

Wow. I had no idea - 258 proposed houses just from this one company! They should call this the "Bridge of Dreams" development:

"If you come, they will build it!"

Nothing TxDOT builds is ever pleasing to the eye. Want to destroy a lovely view? Let TxDOT build one of their ugly concrete monstrosities. There will be nothing attractive about this span. The only attractive bridge they have ever built (and I am not sure they built it) is the 146 bridge across the ship channel.

If you can appreciate a modern sensibility, then take a look at the Loop 610 bridge over the Ship Channel. It is particularly breathtaking from Brady's Island or from the parking lot along the east side of Broadway, adjacent to the Brays Bayou/Buffalo Bayou confluence. TXDoT built it, and its a beauty.

Will these be okay for the proposal bridge :D

One of those is the East Span of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay bridge. The total project cost is now $6.3 billion and the cost of the main span alone is estimated at $1.45 billion (bids are due in the next few months).

Keep in mind that TxDOT probably only wants to spend around $300 million on the bridge. The cost estimate 5 years ago was around $200 million.

Sure, the Bolivar bridge is much smaller than the SF bridge, and Bolivar bridge is not in a earthquake zone. Still, $300 million doesn't get you very much these days, and we shouldn't expect much more than a bare minimum facility.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Seems to me the best solution would be to keep the ferry, and link Bolivar to the Texas City Dike. The highway along the dike could be fully, mostly or partially elevated in order to allow fishing to continue.

Another advantage is that if a hurricane is bearing down on High Island, Bolivar residents could evacuate through Texas City and not clog Galveston

Seems to me the best solution would be to keep the ferry, and link Bolivar to the Texas City Dike. The highway along the dike could be fully, mostly or partially elevated in order to allow fishing to continue.

Another advantage is that if a hurricane is bearing down on High Island, Bolivar residents could evacuate through Texas City and not clog Galveston

Council should speak up for growth

By Dolph Tillotson

The Daily News

Published August 13, 2006

I didn't register with their website, so I didn't get through the rest of the article, but it seems like their true motivation is to prevent the loss of their tax base to Bolivar, which would become a much more accessible beach than many parts of the West End. Galveston's city limits take in the whole island, except for Jamaica Beach, so by putting up barriers to access for other areas, they're trying to limit the supply of developable land. Doing so will 1) contain development within their tax jurisdiction, and 2) keep prices rising at a rapid rate. Eventually, all of their riff-raff will be priced off of the island.

Even if they proposed that the bridge be between Bolivar and Texas City, Bolivar would still be at a disadvantage for the lack of infrastructure and access to Galveston for such things as schools, the county courthouse, etc. Besides, the dike leads into Texas City. It'd still be a pretty long and roundabout drive to get back to civilization.

• 1 year later...

I honestly think the replacement of the point Bolivar ferry is a badly needed item. The lines are insufferable. I USED to love the ferry, it is still ususally not horrible lines going to the peninsula, but returning to the island is ALWAY a nightmare. Hours of wait are not uncommon.

An even better project, though would be a bridge from Webster to Smith Point closer in to Houston.

I honestly think the replacement of the point Bolivar ferry is a badly needed item. The lines are insufferable. I USED to love the ferry, it is still ususally not horrible lines going to the peninsula, but returning to the island is ALWAY a nightmare. Hours of wait are not uncommon.

An even better project, though would be a bridge from Webster to Smith Point closer in to Houston.

It's all about timing your crossing.

Do you know where Webster is? I think you're meaning to say San Leon or Bacliff. That may make sense one day, but today isn't that day. The Bolvar bridge is of much higher priority because Bolivar has beaches. And beaches draw residents. And bridges serve those residents. In contrast, Smith Point's waterfront is primarily marshy; development is severely constrained until you get up towards Double Bayou...but if fw are moving to near already-accessible Anahuac, why would many live near Double Bayou if it were made more accessible?

It's all about timing your crossing.

Do you know where Webster is? I think you're meaning to say San Leon or Bacliff. That may make sense one day, but today isn't that day. The Bolvar bridge is of much higher priority because Bolivar has beaches. And beaches draw residents. And bridges serve those residents. In contrast, Smith Point's waterfront is primarily marshy; development is severely constrained until you get up towards Double Bayou...but if fw are moving to near already-accessible Anahuac, why would many live near Double Bayou if it were made more accessible?

The Ferry is pretty cool, but even in the 80s you could end up in a long line

my friends had a bay house in Oak Island and we used to ski in the east fork of Double Bayou......one of my friends skied over an alligator one time and another time a friend from dallas jumped in the water and was worried about gators so we told him there was one behind him as a joke and he got a bit paniced.......then when those of us in the boat looked around up front to get ready to pull him up there was a gator about 20 yards in front of the boat :lol:

it was so narrow you could not go all the way to the sides with a 75' rope out or you would hit the shore :o ......same guy that hit the gator was showing off and went through some low branches of a tree, but he pulled it out like a champ

at 15-16 we could go to the Exxon in Oak Island and buy all the beer we could carry.......if they did not know whose kid you were all they cared about was cash......and we were definatley 110% outsiders.......and they let us know it one night at the R&R Club right near the volunteer fire station (R&R closed way back and was a hardware store)......lucky that night we had enough friends to be about even numbered with us and them and the shrimper crabber trash kids would not actually step up to fght

When the lines on the Bolivar side are long, it's usually just as fast to drive to High Island, then up to I-10 and back to Houston. I used to spend a lot of time in Bolivar, back when an Uncle had a palce there and I ahd way too much free time. I haven't been in a while, and would probably be shocked at what it looks like now.

• 1 month later...
When the lines on the Bolivar side are long, it's usually just as fast to drive to High Island, then up to I-10 and back to Houston. I used to spend a lot of time in Bolivar, back when an Uncle had a palce there and I ahd way too much free time. I haven't been in a while, and would probably be shocked at what it looks like now.

The area is growing fast. The bridge plan is dead now, however It could be brought back in the future. Gilchrist and High Island will be touching

each other within the next 10 years.

I like the ferry ride, but I can remember long ferry ride lines to board by car. If a boliver bridge can serve as another fast evacuation route for Galveston residents during hurricanes, maybe it's not such a bad idea, after all. Just don't mess with the old Boliver lighthouse or those military bunkers on that point.

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Bolivar/Galveston Bridge

Archived