Bolivar/Galveston Bridge

Bolivar bridge to be topic of meetings

122ferry7gf.jpg

Photo by Chad Greene

By Kelly Hawes

The Daily News

Published January 22, 2006

BOLIVAR PENINSULA - The Texas Department of Transportation is stepping up plans to design a new bridge connecting Galveston Island with the Bolivar Peninsula.

Due to high traffic volumes, the time required to board the Bolivar Ferry can be long and unpredictable, resulting in sometimes lengthy delays for regular users and visitors, the department says on a Web site devoted to the project. These delays have resulted in long commute times and slow emergency vehicle response times...

http://www.galvestondailynews.com/story.la...89fbb7500f53b2a

Boooooooooooooooooo!

I love that ferry. That was one of the best cheap dates ever. My wife and I would get some ice cream, drive down to Galveston, take the ferry over, and then back, and just breathe in the salt air. I bet a bunch of people have become engaged on that trip. And possibly a few concieved.

Boooooooooooooooooo!

I love that ferry. That was one of the best cheap dates ever. My wife and I would get some ice cream, drive down to Galveston, take the ferry over, and then back, and just breathe in the salt air. I bet a bunch of people have become engaged on that trip. And possibly a few concieved.

That wait/traffic is hell on Boliar and Galveston residents though. My mother used to live in apartments on Ferry Road, and on Mardi Gras, Kappa Beach Party, and Spring Break you would hear non stop bass from the cars until 3 and 4 in the morning. It was impossible to go to sleep. This should have been built yesterday as far as I'm concerned.

No way! The ferry is a great thing. Besides, the traffic there is mostly leisure traffic -- it's not like there's anything except a few beach houses on Bolivar. I think the ferry is more than adequate. Plus, it's one of those signature Houston area experiences we all take for granted, until they're gone.

That wait/traffic is hell on Boliar and Galveston residents though. My mother used to live in apartments on Ferry Road, and on Mardi Gras, Kappa Beach Party, and Spring Break you would hear non stop bass from the cars until 3 and 4 in the morning. It was impossible to go to sleep. This should have been built yesterday as far as I'm concerned.

Im sure residents on the Bolivar Peninsula will be more than happy with $5.00 tolls

Im sure residents on the Bolivar Peninsula will be more than happy with $5.00 tolls

Hey, they're the ones putting up most of the fuss. Also, nothing's concrete about there being a toll at all. That would be great for Bolivar residents, and those coming to the island from the Beaumont area.

OK, what's going on here? I am not familiar with Bolivar Peninsula and all this talk about ferries and tolls is Greek to me.

Look at a map of Galveston Island. To the Northeast is Bolivar Peninsula. The only access between Galveston and Bolivar is by ferry. TxDOT is trying to ditch the ferries for a bridge. Even the Harris County Toll Road Authority looked at putting up a toll bridge there.

$5 tolls sounds steep if you are coming across this thing twice a day or more. I'd be surprised if Bolivar residents would approve of that.

Well I do not know the population of Bolivar but it sounds like something that would be well spent with tax dollars. This is not San Francisco. People should not have to pay everytime they leave and come back to their city. Especially when you are on a peninsula. I think I agree with J.A.S.O.N. for the most part, but the whole toll deal should not be considered.

Let's top that toll bridge with the plan to start charging $10 to park on Bolivar beaches this year.

Suddenly the time-honored freebie day out with the family at the beach gets a little pricey, especially of we also factor in the expected $3/gal gasoline expected this summer.

sigh.

No way! The ferry is a great thing. Besides, the traffic there is mostly leisure traffic -- it's not like there's anything except a few beach houses on Bolivar. I think the ferry is more than adequate. Plus, it's one of those signature Houston area experiences we all take for granted, until they're gone.

They've been talking about this one for years. What they didn't mention however was the new 300lb Rita-inspired gorilla called Hurricane Evacuation Route. If this gets built, it will be because developers looking to cash in on a Bolivar boom push friendly government officials for it, and those same officials using the doomsday evacuation scenario to get the funding.

First off that will be some high bridge with the deep sea lane it would span. Quite a visual from the low lying galveston and bolivar.

Secondly, you will see alot more traffic to bolivar. Good or bad, I'm not sure. When I was in school down there bolivar is where we would go to have bonfires (ala couches from salvation army and palettes from the docks) and drink. Not to mention the shroom picking. I think this bridge would definately alter all that (again, for good or bad?)

How about a seperate residential ferry for residents of Bolivar and Galveston ONLY. They could pay for a seperate ferry via tax money themselves since they would be the only ones using it. And with tax money they could keep up the maintenance on their boats. They could have a seperate lane and a residential I.D. or a sticker they can use to board the residential boat, just don't take away the free ferry.

There is nothing like that wind slapping you in the face in the middle of a cool fall night. Or keeping an eye out for dolphins during the day as you are crossing. This is truly one of my favorite things in Texas. It would be a shame if we lost it.

WesternGulf, dude you have got to experience the free ferry ride across before any concrete plans are in place to end it via toll road or something else. Once you make the trip you will understand why it shouldn't go and how it being free makes it so special. You can park your car in the parking lot and just walk on board and go up to the top level, or you can drive your car on board and get out and look overboard as you are crossing. Either way, you've got to do it.

Maybe I'll do that during Mardi Gras. Where exactly does the ferry dock in Galveston?

all the info you need (mardi gras may not be the best time for the experience):

bolivar ferry

i would hate to see this go, i love taking the ferry.

Why not a tunnel?

If you can connect the UK with France, surely you can connect this little stretch.

how about this?

MMMBT_N_Aerial.jpg

The Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel in VA

Here's a letter to the editor in today's paper;

"Bolivar Bridge Would Be Good Economics

The Texas Department of Transportation is proposing to build a bridge between Galveston and the Bolivar Peninsula.

Galveston Gate Bridge?

Texas Gateway Bridge?

The Bolivar bridge, if designed and constructed properly, could be a huge Galveston tourist attraction as well as utilitarian for traffic and an alternative disaster escape route. One needs only to look at the Coronado, California or San Francisco Golden Gate bridges to see the potential for the Texas film industry, TV ads, tourism and marathons. The economic spin-offs for the right bridge are immense, and a share of the profits from any toll charges could go to preserve the adjacent ecosystems.

Galveston once was the gateway from New Orleans to Texas. Perhaps it can be so again?"

Byron Barksdale Galveston

all the info you need (mardi gras may not be the best time for the experience):

bolivar ferry

i would hate to see this go, i love taking the ferry.

how about this?

MMMBT_N_Aerial.jpg

The Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel in VA

I'm sorry for straying but I have to. If what is in that picture can be done, so could a subway or a tunnel from Greenspoint to Downtown. Flooding who?

I'm sorry, you may resume. :P

Yeah but no one really has the initiative to do so. I am assuming this is just an attempt to have a more visibly pleasing entry into Houston, in this case a lit tunnel, rather than seeing billboards, dealerships, and oversized furniture warehouses. In my opinion, TX dot would need a better reason.

Well I do not know the population of Bolivar but it sounds like something that would be well spent with tax dollars. This is not San Francisco. People should not have to pay everytime they leave and come back to their city. Especially when you are on a peninsula. I think I agree with J.A.S.O.N. for the most part, but the whole toll deal should not be considered.

Well how else is TXDot or anyone else going to justify the cost of a 300+ foot clearance bridge, or even worse, a tunnel.

Nothing TxDOT builds is ever pleasing to the eye. Want to destroy a lovely view? Let TxDOT build one of their ugly concrete monstrosities. There will be nothing attractive about this span. The only attractive bridge they have ever built (and I am not sure they built it) is the 146 bridge across the ship channel.

Nothing TxDOT builds is ever pleasing to the eye. Want to destroy a lovely view? Let TxDOT build one of their ugly concrete monstrosities. There will be nothing attractive about this span. The only attractive bridge they have ever built (and I am not sure they built it) is the 146 bridge across the ship channel.

TxDot built the Fred Hartman bridge.

You have to remember that this region does not exactly have the great vistas of the Pacific Coast or the need until recently of long spanned suspension bridges. Engineers weigh economic, enviromental and aesthetic factors based on the individual project. While a soaring cable stayed bridge would be very pretty soaring over the Brazos River on US 59, its not very cost effective.

Also what about the Loop 360 bridge in Austin or the many old steel frame bridges found across Texas.

I would think that with the bridge clearance needed and the distance between piers required for the amout of sea traffic, Texas may see its first suspension bridge if this is ever constructed.

TxDot built the Fred Hartman bridge.

You have to remember that this region does not exactly have the great vistas of the Pacific Coast or the need until recently of long spanned suspension bridges. Engineers weigh economic, enviromental and aesthetic factors based on the individual project. While a soaring cable stayed bridge would be very pretty soaring over the Brazos River on US 59, its not very cost effective.

Also what about the Loop 360 bridge in Austin or the many old steel frame bridges found across Texas.

I would think that with the bridge clearance needed and the distance between piers required for the amout of sea traffic, Texas may see its first suspension bridge if this is ever constructed.

CE_ugh, I certainly don't disagree with you. My west coast living is very recent. I lived in Houston and Galveston for 23 years. I understand looking at projects from an econonmic and environmental perspective, but aesthetics is critical in a location such as this. There is very little natural beauty along the Texas Gulf Coast (at least in terms of vistas) but that doesn't negate spending a little more for some man-made beauty. The new bridge in Tampa-St. Petersberg is a fairly good example. I am doubtful that without a strong public outcry that aesthetics would even be considered by TxDOT. I hope I am wrong if this thing ever gets built. Having lived on the Island I am hopeful for the best. It will always be a special place to me.

Motorists willing to pay $250 or more a year soon may be able to bypass the long lines that form in the hot sun during tourist season to wait for the Bolivar and Port Aransas ferries.

The Texas Transportation Commission had scheduled a vote last week on the proposed priority boarding lanes. The commission postponed voting on the measure until Feb. 23 after Bolivar Peninsula resident Darlene Leal pleaded that the proposed fees are too steep for many beach-loving retirees to afford.

chron article

There's not much chance for a suspension bridge. Suspension bridges are much more expensive than cable-stayed bridges and are generally used only for very long spans. The required span can easily be achieved with a cable-stayed bridge, and the 2000 feasibility study recommended a cable-stayed design. Cost will be a critical factor, so you can be sure the least expensive option will be used. I don't know what influence the potential for hurricane-force winds will have, but I would guess the wind risk will tend to shorten the main span.

I think the main item of interest will be the vertical clearance. The recommended clearance of 220 feet is among the world's highest for bridges over a shipping channel. I think the highest in the world is 230 for a bridge over the Suez canal. If the vertical clearance is increased at the request of the Port of Houston, we could see a record-breaker in terms of vertical clearance. But, I think cost issues will drive TxDOT to want to keep the vertical clearance as low as possible.

Here's my dream: a record-setting vertical clearance, say 250 feet or more, and special turnout areas on the bridge for observation. I'm thinking this could be done with an extra-wide deck around the support towers. Vehicles could exit to the barrier-protected area, park, and check out the view from the record-setting height. I'm not sure if it would be technically feasible, but it certainly would be a great novelty and attraction.

Archived