Washington Avenue Information & Developments

mhh222

I'm way out of the club scene in Houston, but talking to a friend about a place I noticed that was empty, he commented that he thinks that Houston has a migrating scene.
club type places are cyclical as are their clientele. a few yrs ago downtown was it, then midtown, now washington. this is just part of the cycle.

The gentlemen who owns Laredo Taqueria came in to quite a deal of good fortune when he purchased the lot where the old red house once stood. He paid less than half the land value. Now he uses it all day for his taco place and at night is charging 5 dollars a spot to park there. On the positive side, there is someone watching the parking lots until 230 am, and it keeps the riff raff away from the payphone!

that is good luck indeed. i've always said if i had a time machine i would go back to boston and buy empty lots all around the city. it's $25-30 bucks to park for an event, $10-15 just to go to a bar. one employee per lot, almost no overhead. a freaking goldmine!

club type places are cyclical as are their clientele. a few yrs ago downtown was it, then midtown, now washington. this is just part of the cycle.

As much as you like to harp about the demise of midtown...i haven't see it.

The bars are still packing them in on the weekends. I'm not saying it will last forever, but Midtown is still strong.

not saying it's dead but there definitely is a shifting tide towards washington.

but "shifting tide" implies that washington is taking some of midtown's business, and i'm just not seeing it. washington may be a hotter area right now, but there is still a lot of development proposed and otherwise in midtown to go along with the ever-popular nightlife scene.

With our terrific job growth over the past few years, it just seems that Houston has attracted enough young professionals that it can support several bonafide "entertainment" areas... and that's a very good thing, imo.

but "shifting tide" implies that washington is taking some of midtown's business, and i'm just not seeing it. washington may be a hotter area right now, but there is still a lot of development proposed and otherwise in midtown to go along with the ever-popular nightlife scene.

With our terrific job growth over the past few years, it just seems that Houston has attracted enough young professionals that it can support several bonafide "entertainment" areas... and that's a very good thing, imo.

Downtown isn't dead on weekend nights, either. It's a different crowd than Midtown and Washington, but it's still busy.

but "shifting tide" implies that washington is taking some of midtown's business, and i'm just not seeing it. washington may be a hotter area right now
i would say they are hindering the growth pace. with respect to clubs/bars/restaurant growth rate, washington appears to be attracting more currently.

i do agree the young professionals are fueling it.

I went to Corkscrew after work today. I like it there. It's one of the two places on Washington I go (the other is the Dark Horse). It would be nice to have a place on the other end of the Washington drag with that same vibe. But I'm sure some chef-proprietor has a 'vision' for a new beer bar. Bleh.

If I see another 'small plates' menu in a bar where people drink miller lite and mojitos, I will just lose my composure completely. Parking lot fight.

I went to Corkscrew after work today. I like it there.

I was close by, at Beaver's. I've heard good things about Corkscrew, but am just not a wine-bar person. I like Dark Horse for the vibe, but like the drinks at Beaver's. Bobby, Kevin, and others make the place more than it seems. Washave still has some good spots, despite its trendiness.

LOL! I love the generalizations of some posters! If only life were so simple...

I do disagree that it's a cyclical crowd from midtown to downtown to uptown to washington. Each place will get a bump in clientele because of the "newness", but as that wears down, the locals living in the area (or people who just enjoy it) will keep the businesses open.

Once Pearl Bar newness wears down, I can see the scenesters moving on to another place. People who live in the area will not be inclined to travel far to have the same drink they are going to have down the street.

For what it's worth, rent in downtown and midtown is NOT cheap. A lot of businesses have closed up, but the ones that are still there are supported by a strong customer base.

LOL! I love the generalizations of some posters! If only life were so simple...

I do disagree that it's a cyclical crowd from midtown to downtown to uptown to washington. Each place will get a bump in clientele because of the "newness", but as that wears down, the locals living in the area (or people who just enjoy it) will keep the businesses open.

Once Pearl Bar newness wears down, I can see the scenesters moving on to another place. People who live in the area will not be inclined to travel far to have the same drink they are going to have down the street.

For what it's worth, rent in downtown and midtown is NOT cheap. A lot of businesses have closed up, but the ones that are still there are supported by a strong customer base.

Is there a nightlife in Uptown outside of the hotel bars and strip clubs on Westheimer?

You comment that people who live in the area will not be inclined to travel far and I fully agree with that. Which makes me believe with all the so-called urban pioneers and new residents all along the washington corridor that places like Pearl are busy because of all the nearby residents. Rice Military is booming, the Heights is booming, there are townhomes and apartments going up everywhere so the natural population of this area is increasing. I'd be curious what the actual numbers are, but my guess much of the activity along Washington are from the 'locals'.

You comment that people who live in the area will not be inclined to travel far and I fully agree with that. Which makes me believe with all the so-called urban pioneers and new residents all along the washington corridor that places like Pearl are busy because of all the nearby residents. Rice Military is booming, the Heights is booming, there are townhomes and apartments going up everywhere so the natural population of this area is increasing. I'd be curious what the actual numbers are, but my guess much of the activity along Washington are from the 'locals'.

I agree that those areas are booming, but it is not just the immediate surrounding areas providing business to Pearl Bar. It's the hot spot right now for all of the young professionals inside the loop....just like Vintage was all spring/summer and just like the Drake was last winter. The trend is tough to follow considering it hits different parts of the city usually on a 3-6 month cycle.

Is there a nightlife in Uptown outside of the hotel bars and strip clubs on Westheimer?

Yes, Uptown definitely has a thriving nightlife. Velvet Melvin, El Tiempo on Richmond, Kona Grill and all the other Galleria area restaurants keep things going.

It will only get busier with the construction of Blvd. Place.

I agree that those areas are booming, but it is not just the immediate surrounding areas providing business to Pearl Bar. It's the hot spot right now for all of the young professionals inside the loop....just like Vintage was all spring/summer and just like the Drake was last winter. The trend is tough to follow considering it hits different parts of the city usually on a 3-6 month cycle.

and outside the loop.

i haven't been there since the burst in popularity, but when it was 1st getting noticed i would go on occasion for date night with the husband or girls' night out. i always ran into someone i knew from some other part of the city (OTL)- some work downtown and stay in town on a friday rather than drive back out to the burbs, but many who drove in on a saturday and go to wherever the scene is. i saw some good friends who used to live in shady acres but moved to a mcmansion in south katy. they apparently go there a lot b/c they like the scene. as people have said, the scene will move, so will my friends and so will i, but i'll be moving *back* to pearl bar.

Who are these people claiming that Pearl Bar has been taken over by the yuppie hipster crowd, against the owner's wishes? For goodness sake, there is a valet stand outside the place and a DJ playing fast-paced remixes of hip hop songs inside. The place is purposefully catering to this crowd, not operating in spite of it.

Who are these people claiming that Pearl Bar has been taken over by the yuppie hipster crowd, against the owner's wishes? For goodness sake, there is a valet stand outside the place and a DJ playing fast-paced remixes of hip hop songs inside. The place is purposefully catering to this crowd, not operating in spite of it.

They are now. They didn't used to. Hoping the pendulum will swing back the other way, that's all. :)

Has anyone seen that construction going up just West of Cova and across the street from El Tiempo. I saw a sign in front that said future home of Eye Impact. Is that whole building really going to be an optomotry/eye glasses store? If so, that's kind of disappointing..

Anybody know what is going on with the warehouse they are tearing down just east of Thompson? There is an Iron Works place there and a small office across the street.

It's a huge commercial spot right next to the railroad tracks.

More than likely it will be a new warehouse, but one can hope it will be something else!

Is Blue Label open? whats it like?

I don't think it's open yet, but I believe it is affiliated with the same owners as Red Door in Midtown. Probably expect to see the same type of crowd and I would think it's going to be a pretty hot place when it opens.

I welcome any positive exposure the Upper West End can have!

I don't think it's open yet, but I believe it is affiliated with the same owners as Red Door in Midtown. Probably expect to see the same type of crowd and I would think it's going to be a pretty hot place when it opens.

I welcome any positive exposure the Upper West End can have!

I don't think blue label lounge has anything to do with the Van Delden brothers... The only thing I remember about it is that it had a really corny website, along with some guy spamming about it on here

Edited by OkieEric

I don't think blue label lounge has anything to do with the Van Delden brothers... The only thing I remember about it is that it had a really corny website, along with some guy spamming about it on here

Blue Label has been open the past couple of weeks. Not crowded, pricey drinks, nothing better than standing outside next to Washington and sketchy people walking by....they should have built the wall around the deck area taller. Not sure this place is going to make it...we shall see.......

I don't think it's open yet, but I believe it is affiliated with the same owners as Red Door in Midtown.

Thats "The Drake" on washington.

I think the guy starting Blue Label has some tie to one of those Galleria clubs, Vogue or something. Dont know who goes to those. I'll check BL this weekend though, I peeked in leaving Raia's the other day and it looks like they have spent some $. If only it was in a free standing building instead of that center.