Three Aides Of Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo Indicted; Will This Doom Her Reelection Prospects In November?

Blue Dogs

48 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

And, IIRC, guns don’t work against those, so you must really find that confounding there, Augie.

Not at all...as I understand it, shotguns are very effective so I'm well covered there.  I've also heard that wearing one of these will make their heads explode...

118-1186375_make-america-great-again-hat

7 hours ago, august948 said:

Not at all...as I understand it, shotguns are very effective so I'm well covered there.  I've also heard that wearing one of these will make their heads explode...

118-1186375_make-america-great-again-hat

Yes, I must say the people who wear those things do look and act like they would wholly believe such a thing, so I can't say I'm surprised.

I was shocked that the Chronicle endorsed Mealer. The entire piece reads like it was written by people who haven't been paying attention to what's happening. If Mealer is elected, and Cagle and Ramsey are still there, we will end up with crappy county government that will ignore the poor and spend as much money as possible for the benefit of the rich people who speak the loudest. Cagle and Ramsey have already shown how clueless they are on budgeting, and I don't think Mealer has a clue on that either with the "we can come up with $100 million for 1,000 law enforcement officers without raising taxes" thing. Where is she going to cut? What services are going to be removed?

19 hours ago, Ross said:

I was shocked that the Chronicle endorsed Mealer. The entire piece reads like it was written by people who haven't been paying attention to what's happening. If Mealer is elected, and Cagle and Ramsey are still there, we will end up with crappy county government that will ignore the poor and spend as much money as possible for the benefit of the rich people who speak the loudest. Cagle and Ramsey have already shown how clueless they are on budgeting, and I don't think Mealer has a clue on that either with the "we can come up with $100 million for 1,000 law enforcement officers without raising taxes" thing. Where is she going to cut? What services are going to be removed?

In a very short period of time, she is getting flooded with money while Hidalgo is getting subjected to coordinated harassment.  Now this bizarre endorsement.

People can yap about crime all they want, but this election is, first and foremost, about turning over the County's voting system to the State.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Blue Dogs said:

Bill King endorsing Mealer for Harris County Judge. 

Former TX Supreme Court Justice Eva Guzman (R) also endorsing Mealer as well.

But whom has the San Antonio Express-News endorsed?

Why is she so averse to red?  Shame issues?

Is that the reason she also seems to use so much foundation?  She's beginning to look like a Munster.  It's almost like . . . they're deliberately . . . trying to . . . make her look . . . white?!  NAH, surely that can't be the case!!!!!  

I prefer the more natural, Rosie O'Donnell look.  (I wonder if she'll be able to keep the weight off in addition to her newly found "whiter-ness"?)

Alex-Mealer.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Edited by mattyt36

Schizophrenia is a terrible disease.  

Beto O'Rourke for Texas governor: Houston Chronicle Editorial Board

Since @Blue Dogs is such a fan of endorsements (who has the time these days to think for one's self, really?!), I suppose he'll just have to hold his nose and vote for Beto.  

(Also in today's edition, a great photo of Lily Munster with short hair here.  Maybe she should get props for none of that caked-on makeup running off her face from sweat during the hot Houston summer.  Also, where's her gun?)

ratio3x2_1200.jpg

Edited by mattyt36

8 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Schizophrenia is a terrible disease.  

Beto O'Rourke for Texas governor: Houston Chronicle Editorial Board

Since @Blue Dogs is such a fan of endorsements (who has the time these days to think for one's self, really?!), I suppose he'll just have to hold his nose and vote for Beto.  

(Also in today's edition, a great photo of Lily Munster with short hair here.  Maybe she should get props for none of that caked-on makeup running off her face from sweat during the hot Houston summer.  Also, where's her gun?)

ratio3x2_1200.jpg

The Houston Chronicle endorsement of Beto proves they've totally lost their minds so any endorsements they make can be safely discounted.

As for her gun, perhaps just her presence reduces crime in whatever part of Harris county she happens to be at the moment? 

Or could be there's a 30.05 sign posted at the entrance to the establishment she's pictured at.  Could be her holster is in the 6 o'clock position.  And, of course, you can't see either of her hands.

14 hours ago, august948 said:

The Houston Chronicle endorsement of Beto proves they've totally lost their minds so any endorsements they make can be safely discounted.

As for her gun, perhaps just her presence reduces crime in whatever part of Harris county she happens to be at the moment? 

Or could be there's a 30.05 sign posted at the entrance to the establishment she's pictured at.  Could be her holster is in the 6 o'clock position.  And, of course, you can't see either of her hands.

Disappointed, Augie, I would've thought your hypothesis would've been FEM BOT.

tumblr_p82nnaWIq71xnd7r6o1_640.gif

• Haha 1

ROFLMAO...Judge Hidalgo gets Hanoi Jane to campaign for her!!!  🤣🤣🤣

Jane Fonda block walks with Lina Hidalgo ahead of early voting

In a city filled with people who fled the communist regime in Vietnam, I'm not sure whether inviting Hanoi Jane to campaign shows a complete lack of judgement or if Hidalgo and staff are just too young and clueless to know who this elderly white California liberal is.  I can't wait to see how this gets written up in the local Vietnamese newspaper.

politics hanoi jane Memes & GIFs - Imgflip

Edited by august948
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, august948 said:

In a city filled with people who fled the communist regime in Vietnam, I'm not sure whether inviting Hanoi Jane to campaign shows a complete lack of judgement or if Hidalgo and staff are just too young and clueless to know who this elderly white California liberal is.  I can't wait to see how this gets written up in the local Vietnamese newspaper.

I thought you guys all hated war now?

I marched several times against the Vietnam war and thought it a terrible mistake, but to go and get snugly with the people killing us ( many were folks my age) was sickening. There are lines which should never be crossed. Such as what she did or the people who attacked our troops, or waved North Vietnamese flags. It was revolting.

• Like 3

On 10/24/2022 at 4:01 PM, august948 said:

All signs are pointing toward Mealer winning in 12 days because she's got the momentum.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the better articles I've seen on the race, from the Texas Observer:

Crime, Statistics, and the Harris County Judge’s Race

For whatever reason, Hidalgo has been unable to effectively respond to many of the criticisms leveled against her. I suspect it's a combination of being decisively outspent, coupled with her inexperience in running as an incumbent in a high-profile race - when she was elected, no one was really paying much attention as the thought of Emmett being sent packing was practically unthinkable. A more seasoned pol may have been able to better defuse Mealer's assertions.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

I suspect it's a combination of being decisively outspent, coupled with her inexperience in running as an incumbent in a high-profile race - when she was elected, no one was really paying much attention as the thought of Emmett being sent packing was practically unthinkable. A more seasoned pol may have been able to better defuse Mealer's assertions.

Agree 100%.

Well, based on my analysis of the early voting totals, Lina may hold on.

She underperformed Beto by 24K in early voting but still led. Beto’s gap in Election day voting was 6K to his favor. 

I can’t see many Beto-Mealer voters.

But keep the faith in San Antonio. The wave never came but maybe it’ll start rolling out of the prairie somewhere around Seguin!

1 minute ago, mattyt36 said:

She underperformed Beto by 24K in early voting but still led. Beto’s gap in Election day voting was 6K to his favor. 

But keep the faith in San Antonio. The wave never came but maybe it’ll start rolling out of the prairie somewhere around Seguin!

WELL nevermind I think the early voting totals that I am looking at may not be totals but only for the precincts that reported. I will therefore stop blowing west so as to keep that wave to a trickle.

1 hour ago, mattyt36 said:

WELL nevermind I think the early voting totals that I am looking at may not be totals but only for the precincts that reported. I will therefore stop blowing west so as to keep that wave to a trickle.

You're looking the wrong direction.  The wave appears to be washing over the Floridian peninsula to the east.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, august948 said:

Greg didn't need a red wave to sweep aside sk8r boi.

DeSantis (FL)

2018 share: 49.6%

2022 share: 59.4%

+19.8 pts improvement

Abbott (TX)

2018 share: 55.8%

2022 share: 54.9%

-0.9 pts improvement

Looks like someone has a way hotter set of wheels.  SORRY GREGGO!

DAMN!  I guess all those blue-ribbon endorsements threatening us with even more crime if we didn't do their bidding didn't work!  "Thank you to all of those who supported our campaign for good governance?!"  I must have been getting a special set of ads because that message sure as hell didn't come across.  

Still, I must commend Mealer on conceding and not breaking out one of her surely many AR-15s.  HCSO will get some additional manpower, but it looks like it won't triple its headcount of 5,000 to 15,000 on a whim.

As far as I can tell looks like Cagle lost, too, which is absolutely appropriate considering the guy couldn't be bothered to do his d*mned job and show up to a vote.

P.S. SORRY MIDLAND DONORS!!!!!  And keep the faith, San Antonio!  (Remember, your County Judge is actually . . . someone else.  #LocalRule)

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 2

This was a lot closer than I though it would be.  Not sure whether there is a shift back to the right in Harris County or turnout for Dems was lackluster because of little enthusiasm (or hope) for Beto.  

On the other hand, Briones over Cagle is a pretty big deal.  That leaves only one Republican and no more quorum busting no show tactics.  

• Like 3

I have to wonder if Cagle pulling those no show stunts cost him his spot. It really was not a great look, and I’m sure there were Republican people who protest-voted against him. 

Beto O’Rourke is just a lackluster candidate for TX imho. I think people just don’t care for him all that much. He’s lost several elections now, and I feel like the Democrats would do well to focus resources into bringing up a different candidate if they want a hope of flipping the governor’s race.

Del Moral Mealer vs Hidalgo being that close is something I’m really interested to hear more about. O’Rourke carried Harris county, yet the county judge race was much closer- does that mean there were a sizeable number of O’Rourke voters who voted for del Moral Mealer over Hidalgo? Actually, looking at the results, a lot of the judge races were quite close. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, s3mh said:

Not sure whether there is a shift back to the right in Harris County or turnout for Dems was lackluster because of little enthusiasm (or hope) for Beto. 

I was curious about this. Looking at Harris County - in 2018 Beto beat Cruz by almost 17 points. In 2022, he beat Abbott but under 10 points. Both midterm elections.

That doesn't necessarily mean there was a shift. He's less popular now, probably didn't bring out the same number of voters. But other county wide margins did seem lower for the Dems (though maybe i'm comparing to the generals with Trump on the ballot which adds a lot to consider).

As I have stated multiple times, I did not vote for Lina in 2018 but did in 2022, not necessarily because I was all about voting for her, but more because I was voting against the absolutely corrupt State GOP, which at this point is just a bunch of professional politicians with few ideas who just want to stay in power for their own sakes.

The anti-crime message was STRONG and resonated, but somehow not enough.  Despite law enforcement professionals basically flanking Mealer at all of her press conferences (which I for one consider to be extraordinarily provocative and outright scary . . . ) and her essentially implying that we were all going to be murdered walking on the Bayou or coming home from the Astros because of "Democrat" judges happily putting murderers on the streets, I think the majority saw that she was a puppet at best (an uncharismatic weirdo most likely, and an entitled, sanctimonious, condescending, crazy woman at worst) with zero experience and no meaningful plan to reduce crime.  I'm not even sure Mattress Mack helped her, to be honest.  People of course love Mattress Mack, but it telegraphs the appearance of "buying" an election.  It's kind of creepy, actually.

The Harris County GOP needs to CLEAN HOUSE and get rid of all the crazies.  Ed Emmett could've won easily, assuming he ran a campaign like he did in the past.  Tell Steve Hotze and his merry band of religious nutjobs to go off and form their own d*mned party--the Harris County Baptist Taliban--that ideology has no place in government because by its very nature and by its own admission, it wants to screw over half of the constituency.  Sit down Mack, sit down Dave Ward, sit down Ed Young, sit down partisan law enforcement leadership and law enforcement unions, sit down Crime Stoppers propaganda, sit down Permian Basin political donors, sit down State GOP with your ridiculous shenanigans to co-opt the county, and truly focus on returning to responsible governance instead of fearmongering--it is not good for anyone. 

But the fact remains:

1) Hidalgo proved to be a relatively awful candidate at the end of the day, but still eked out a victory despite being overwhelmingly outmatched in advertising spending over the past several weeks.  (I mean, she pulled out a win with all those Mealer ads during the ASTROS WORLD SERIES WIN.  I mean, those are some serious headwinds that she met!)

2) Mealer was hand-picked by the State GOP and got support from donors farther afield, and, while she came very close due to fearmongering, she lost.  

This was NOT a good environment at all for Democrats locally, so it should be expected that results would be worse than the last cycle.  But bad candidates hung on, and non-controversial County candidates ran a good 3 points ahead of Mealer.  

That, my friends, is the major political shift.  A major difference from, say, Tarrant County, which just elected a Republican County Judge who is a personal injury attorney from Southlake and has prior experience as a councilman and mayor of Farmers Branch.  I mean, just gross.  I think I'd take Mealer over that bio.

Still, the margin was extraordinarily slim and should not be considered a mandate by any means.  I pray that Hidalgo and the other Democratic commissioners do not take this as some sort of validation of progressiveness--municipal governments just cannot be a meaningful source of social spending.  I hope she tries to build relationships with the business community, and likewise, I hope the business community makes a good faith effort to build a relationship with her.  And I pray Hidalgo will make a good faith effort at crime reduction and repairing relationships with law enforcement, although I am not sure how much of that problem is on her shoulders to be honest.  

Harris County and its residents have zero interest in employers and government officials being at each other's throats.  Houston is the welcoming city it is because we have largely avoided these lose-lose political fights, which, in the end, are only good for disingenuous politicians and bad for the County and its residents.  Thanks Alexandra and the Harris County GOP for telegraphing to the suburban counties and the rest of the state that Harris County is a crime-ridden hellhole teetering on the edge of disaster--you have done definite damage and it is glaringly obvious you do not have this County's interests at heart, only your own.

/rant off and now a little gloating . . . if Cagle loses it will really be my favorite story of the cycle as it shows there's a price to pay for being an absolutely unserious and disingenuous blowhard . . . which is pretty rare in Texas politics.  (Well, being an absolutely unserious and disingenuous blowhard is certainly not rare, but paying a price for being one sure the hell is.)

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1