Will Mayor Turner's performance influence the next election?

dbigtex56

I voted for Mayor Turner, partially because I believed in him, partially because the alternatives were so bleak.
The final of his limited terms has raised some troubling questions about his judgement and integrity. There's the matter of the undistributed funds for Harvey relief, denying support for buying existing structures to be used as affordable housing, his dismissal of concerns regarding reopening Spur 527, the affordable housing contracts he approved having the appearance of conflict of interest, the firing of the housing director who publicly raised questions about the bidding process, etc. 
Although the City of Houston elections are officially non-partisan, everyone knows which are the Democratic and Republican candidates. Is there the possibility of a backlash against Turner that will propel a "non-partisan" Republican candidate into office?

• Like 2

Turner's recent fumbles are garden variety City Hall stuff that the average voter doesn't care about.  And the election isn't until 2023. 

The city of Houston is decidedly blue and it would take extraordinary circumstances for a Republican to win a mayoral race.  And the Republican bench for Mayor is not deep and is mostly old white guys.  Anyone remotely aligned with Trump would be DOA.  Anyone from the Tex Leg who voted for the abortion ban is DOA.  The only shot would be a more ambiguous center right candidate from the business community or a former pro athlete, etc. who has never run for office.  Self funded would help too.  

• Like 3

The city of Houston may be decidedly blue, but its on the conservative end of that spectrum.  Whoever we get will most likely be a centrist.  We won't be seeing anyone winning by promising to raise taxes to fund social experiments or declaring they'll defund HPD.  What I'm more curious to see is how the next Harris county judge election unfolds.

• Like 3

On 9/23/2021 at 4:36 PM, august948 said:

The city of Houston may be decidedly blue, but its on the conservative end of that spectrum.  Whoever we get will most likely be a centrist.  We won't be seeing anyone winning by promising to raise taxes to fund social experiments or declaring they'll defund HPD.  What I'm more curious to see is how the next Harris county judge election unfolds.

The County Judge race just got a lot more interesting with Martina Dixon throwing her hat into the ring.

Humble ISD president Martina Dixon to challenge Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo in 2022 election

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2021 at 12:26 PM, dbigtex56 said:

I voted for Mayor Turner, partially because I believed in him, partially because the alternatives were so bleak.
The final of his limited terms has raised some troubling questions about his judgement and integrity. There's the matter of the undistributed funds for Harvey relief, denying support for buying existing structures to be used as affordable housing, his dismissal of concerns regarding reopening Spur 527, the affordable housing contracts he approved having the appearance of conflict of interest, the firing of the housing director who publicly raised questions about the bidding process, etc. 
Although the City of Houston elections are officially non-partisan, everyone knows which are the Democratic and Republican candidates. Is there the possibility of a backlash against Turner that will propel a "non-partisan" Republican candidate into office?

Big question is whether State Senator John Whitmire (D-Houston) will run for the Mayoralty in 2023 ?

Isn't Houston City Controller Christopher Brown (D) supposed to be running as well ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2021 at 6:57 PM, mkultra25 said:

The County Judge race just got a lot more interesting with Martina Dixon throwing her hat into the ring.

Humble ISD president Martina Dixon to challenge Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo in 2022 election

Sounds like just what the nation's third largest county needs, an ideological Republican from Humble, who somehow is able to say the following unironically:

“It’s a God thing for me,” she told supporters. “It was heavy on my heart, and I prayed and I have peace,” she said. She talked about the first sentence in the “Purpose-Driven Life” by Rick Warren and how “It’s not about me.”

Sure, no doubt, lady.

What could possibly go wrong?  I guess she talks to God, so that could be a plus.  Maybe she can ask for fewer hurricanes?

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 10/28/2021 at 4:24 PM, mattyt36 said:

@trymahjongAn entirely new city charter would have to be adopted. It’s not like some sort of “on/off” switch.

No.

1 hour ago, ATH said:

No.

On 10/27/2021 at 12:50 PM, trymahjong said:

A small side question:

Will Houston ever obtain a City Manager position?

Sorry, I was intending to respond to the question about the City Manager.....

On 10/13/2021 at 3:17 PM, Blue Dogs said:

Big question is whether State Senator John Whitmire (D-Houston) will run for the Mayoralty in 2023 ?

Isn't Houston City Controller Christopher Brown (D) supposed to be running as well ?

Whitmire is running.  

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 10:52 AM, mattyt36 said:

Sounds like just what the nation's third largest county needs, an ideological Republican from Humble, who somehow is able to say the following unironically:

“It’s a God thing for me,” she told supporters. “It was heavy on my heart, and I prayed and I have peace,” she said. She talked about the first sentence in the “Purpose-Driven Life” by Rick Warren and how “It’s not about me.”

Sure, no doubt, lady.

What could possibly go wrong?  I guess she talks to God, so that could be a plus.  Maybe she can ask for fewer hurricanes?

What could possibly go wrong ?

• 3 months later...

Looks like another candidate has jumped into the 2023 Mayoral contest: Chris Hollins is running for the Mayoralty, but I still think Whitmire is the favorite to win due to his long political experience & record:

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2022/02/08/former-harris-county-clerk-chris-hollins-announces-run-for-houston-mayor-in-2023/

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Turner has certainly been one of Houston's most practical and pragmatic mayors and its why I've always thought well of him. He understands that Houston is strictly a workers/business city, and must be open to business and friendly to businesses at all times, but at the same time he clearly is an establishment Democrat. Turner is what blue cities should be running as candidates. Even though Turner knows how to cater to Progressives, I don't ever get the feeling his is very ideologically driven, and yet at the same time he is very pro/hands off in regards to business, but does take the other side when it comes to certain issues. He's been a great mayor in my opinion. While others have gone completely wacko, or run their cities to the ground, Turner has been maintained a steady hand in a world that seems like its full of clowns. He's growing the city, he's firmly behind Houston's ethos of no zoning. He is pro-development. He is pro-expanding city services in areas that are achievable with the political will he knows he has. He also seems very independently minded. I do agree with some on here, the only chance a Republican will become mayor in Houston again is if Houston takes a drastic turn for the worst like what happened to NYC decades ago which lead to Republicans running the city in the 90's, or you get a centrist/populist type who rides a wave due to some escalation of social issues. The old country club Republican is basically extinct politically and never really matched Houston very well unless you were part of the Big Oil hegemony. With that force meaning back gradually to the average as other industries expand, I've always thought Houston is a city dominated by business interests and depending on what direction the cities business interests lie is not only where the city will go politically, but where it will also find its next mayor. I wouldn't be surprised just like we had mayors connected to Big Oil, at some point we will have Big Space interests or Big Pharma/Big Biomed interests and then you will get candidates that reflect that.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 4/13/2022 at 3:30 PM, Luminare said:

Turner has certainly been one of Houston's most practical and pragmatic mayors and its why I've always thought well of him. He understands that Houston is strictly a workers/business city, and must be open to business and friendly to businesses at all times, but at the same time he clearly is an establishment Democrat. Turner is what blue cities should be running as candidates. Even though Turner knows how to cater to Progressives, I don't ever get the feeling his is very ideologically driven, and yet at the same time he is very pro/hands off in regards to business, but does take the other side when it comes to certain issues. He's been a great mayor in my opinion. While others have gone completely wacko, or run their cities to the ground, Turner has been maintained a steady hand in a world that seems like its full of clowns. He's growing the city, he's firmly behind Houston's ethos of no zoning. He is pro-development. He is pro-expanding city services in areas that are achievable with the political will he knows he has. He also seems very independently minded. I do agree with some on here, the only chance a Republican will become mayor in Houston again is if Houston takes a drastic turn for the worst like what happened to NYC decades ago which lead to Republicans running the city in the 90's, or you get a centrist/populist type who rides a wave due to some escalation of social issues. The old country club Republican is basically extinct politically and never really matched Houston very well unless you were part of the Big Oil hegemony. With that force meaning back gradually to the average as other industries expand, I've always thought Houston is a city dominated by business interests and depending on what direction the cities business interests lie is not only where the city will go politically, but where it will also find its next mayor. I wouldn't be surprised just like we had mayors connected to Big Oil, at some point we will have Big Space interests or Big Pharma/Big Biomed interests and then you will get candidates that reflect that.

Whitmire is the early front-runner for Houston Mayor in 2023.

If somehow the GOPers rally behind either Knox or Kubosh, although I can see Knox running with backing of HPOU, etc., I am going to laugh if the GOP somehow wins back the Houston Mayoralty next fall (see Youngkin winning the VA Executive Mansion last year).

I should note violent crime is escalating in Houston & backlash against the WOKE Culture is rising. 

48 minutes ago, Blue Dogs said:

Whitmire is the early front-runner for Houston Mayor in 2023.

If somehow the GOPers rally behind either Knox or Kubosh, although I can see Knox running with backing of HPOU, etc., I am going to laugh if the GOP somehow wins back the Houston Mayoralty next fall (see Youngkin winning the VA Executive Mansion last year).

I should note violent crime is escalating in Houston & backlash against the WOKE Culture is rising. 

Here's a question . . . do you actually live in the City of Houston?

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Blue Dogs said:

If somehow the GOPers rally behind either Knox or Kubosh, although I can see Knox running with backing of HPOU, etc.,

Perhaps all three could run.
They could call it "The KKK Ticket".
(I'm not suggesting that any of the potential candidates listed is sympathetic to the Klan, only that the name would appeal to a certain faction of the GOP. A disturbingly large faction.)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dbigtex56 said:

(I'm not suggesting that any of the potential candidates listed is sympathetic to the Klan, only that the name would appeal to a certain faction of the GOP. A disturbingly large faction.)

But "wokeness" is the real problem, don't forget.

Perhaps @Blue Dogs can enumerate all of the I'm sure many examples of Mayor Turner's "wokeness" and how it has affected him.  I think it's clear he doesn't live in the City, so it must be really, really bad.  Poor guy!

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, ATH said:

I'm thinking that Gilbert Garcia will be throwing his hat into the ring........

His bio seems fine to me, whatever it takes to keep Santa Claus the Bail Bondsman, Sergeant A*shat, or any other entirely nonserious person out of office.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2022 at 9:22 AM, dbigtex56 said:

I think Kubosh or Knox will be pressured into running for the Mayoralty.

3 hours ago, Blue Dogs said:

I think Kubosh or Knox will be pressured into running for the Mayoralty.

Oooooooo, do tell us more @Blue Dogs

Having Santa Claus the Bail Bondsman as Mayor of the nation’s fourth largest city is definitely something we should strive for and certainly not be embarrassed at the mere thought.

Also, while you’re at it, maybe you can finally answer that entirely relevant question from many moons ago: “Are you a resident of the City of Houston?”

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Oooooooo, do tell us more @Blue Dogs

Having Santa Claus the Bail Bondsman as Mayor of the nation’s fourth largest city is definitely something we should strive for and certainly not be embarrassed at the mere thought.

Also, while you’re at it, maybe you can finally answer that entirely relevant question from many moons ago: “Are you a resident of the City of Houston?”

You don't have to be a resident of the city to have a stake in what happens here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, august948 said:

You don't have to be a resident of the city to have a stake in what happens here.

You may have a minor “stake,” but you don’t get to vote and you don’t have to pay the lion’s share of the taxes. And, if you don’t live in the City, your “take” on crime (I know many suburbanites all think we live in some murderous, drug-ridden hellhole that burned down from BLM protests in June 2020 from too many hours of watching Fox News and other propaganda outlets) is largely irrelevant, just as it is for other City issues, like how the City spends the money that its citizens put in, what our police department does, etc. Like old-school conservatives, I value local control. i’m not running my mouth over local politics in Ft Bend County or speculating who’s going to be the next mayor of Galveston, or wherever you may live Augie. You and your neighbors elect whoever is good for you. I’m not sure why people don’t extend the same courtesy and respect to us.

I suspect even  @Blue Dogs realizes that because he sure as heck isn’t volunteering where he lives or doesn’t live. Imagine if that wonderful website that @Blue Dogs cited in another post (“The Texas Scorecard”) had in big letters across the top of the website “Funded entirely by a Republican Political Action Committee. Not a legitimate journalism site.” If those posters on this thread put in a footnote “* - Note: Not an actual resident of the City of Houston,” then I think how people interacted with the information would be entirely different. I honestly don’t give two sharts if a resident of The Woodlands wants Santa Claus the Bail Bondsman to be the next Mayor of the City of Houston just so they have the illusion of feeling “safer” for the 4 times a year they come into the City proper.

Edited by mattyt36

1 hour ago, Blue Dogs said:

Wasn't he in some controversy several years back ?

Well as we have learned from you @Blue Dogs, scandals and controversies aren’t disqualifying … if anything they’re a reason to vote for someone. (See Paxton, Ken and Abbott, Greg.) So ole Gil should be A-OK by your own standards. (Lina, too!)

Edited by mattyt36

3 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

You may have a minor “stake,” but you don’t get to vote and you don’t have to pay the lion’s share of the taxes. And, if you don’t live in the City, your “take” on crime (I know many suburbanites all think we live in some murderous, drug-ridden hellhole that burned down from BLM protests in June 2020 from too many hours of watching Fox News and other propaganda outlets) is largely irrelevant, just as it is for other City issues, like how the City spends the money that its citizens put in, what our police department does, etc. Like old-school conservatives, I value local control. i’m not running my mouth over local politics in Ft Bend County or speculating who’s going to be the next mayor of Galveston, or wherever you may live Augie. You and your neighbors elect whoever is good for you. I’m not sure why people don’t extend the same courtesy and respect to us.

I suspect even  @Blue Dogs realizes that because he sure as heck isn’t volunteering where he lives or doesn’t live. Imagine if that wonderful website that @Blue Dogs cited in another post (“The Texas Scorecard”) had in big letters across the top of the website “Funded entirely by a Republican Political Action Committee. Not a legitimate journalism site.” If those posters on this thread put in a footnote “* - Note: Not an actual resident of the City of Houston,” then I think how people interacted with the information would be entirely different. I honestly don’t give two sharts if a resident of The Woodlands wants Santa Claus the Bail Bondsman to be the next Mayor of the City of Houston just so they have the illusion of feeling “safer” for the 4 times a year they come into the City proper.

If you own property in the city, then yes you are paying in a lion's share of the taxes.  As it happens I'm a resident and property owner inside the city limits.  But I also own property in other communities where I also pay in a lion's share plus some since I don't get homestead exemptions there.  Even if I can't vote in those other communities whatever happens there politically or otherwise affects me and entitles me to an opinion (as if the first amendment wasn't enough).

I highly doubt many suburbanites think Houston burned down during the summer of love, peaceful protests of 2020.  I do suspect, however, that some city dwellers don't get out as much as they should, especially if they think all that rush hour traffic each day on 45 is Woodlands residents making their quarterly visits to the city proper.

And what's up with the Santa fixation?  Don't tell me it's because he has man hands...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, august948 said:

If you own property in the city, then yes you are paying in a lion's share of the taxes.  As it happens I'm a resident and property owner inside the city limits.  But I also own property in other communities where I also pay in a lion's share plus some since I don't get homestead exemptions there.  Even if I can't vote in those other communities whatever happens there politically or otherwise affects me and entitles me to an opinion (as if the first amendment wasn't enough).

Augie, opine all you want . . . don't get scared, no one is stopping you!  (Put that gun away, please, I know you're tempted!  So sensitive!)

Even if you're not a property owner, you're de facto paying taxes through rent, unless, out of the bottom of your heart, you're paying it for your tenants.  Something tells me you're not.  I know I wouldn't!  If you own property in a jurisdiction that you somehow think is poorly run and puts your financial interests at stake, well, as a wise man once said, that's on you buddy!  You don't have to make the business decision to own real estate.  Don't play the game if you can't, er, play the game.  Profits ain't guaranteed in the free market.

Incidentally, if you would like to redesign the longstanding Western system of voting, I'd suggest you move to NYC, where non-citizens will be able to vote.  You seem to have a different litmus test ("property owner" . . . spoiler alert, that's been done before!), but you know as the Republicans used to love saying, these are all little "laboratories of democracy," so maybe you can sell them on your great ideas there. 

30 minutes ago, august948 said:

I do suspect, however, that some city dwellers don't get out as much as they should, especially if they think all that rush hour traffic each day on 45 is Woodlands residents making their quarterly visits to the city proper.

No, I have it on good authority that is people commuting from Conroe to Galveston.  For the record, I don't think they should get to vote for the Mayor of Houston, either.

31 minutes ago, august948 said:

And what's up with the Santa fixation?  Don't tell me it's because he has man hands...

spacer.png

32 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

Augie, opine all you want . . . don't get scared, no one is stopping you!  (Put that gun away, please, I know you're tempted!  So sensitive!)

Even if you're not a property owner, you're de facto paying taxes through rent, unless, out of the bottom of your heart, you're paying it for your tenants.  Something tells me you're not.  I know I wouldn't!  If you own property in a jurisdiction that you somehow think is poorly run and puts your financial interests at stake, well, as a wise man once said, that's on you buddy!  You don't have to make the business decision to own real estate.  Don't play the game if you can't, er, play the game.  Profits ain't guaranteed in the free market.

Incidentally, if you would like to redesign the longstanding Western system of voting, I'd suggest you move to NYC, where non-citizens will be able to vote.  You seem to have a different litmus test ("property owner" . . . spoiler alert, that's been done before!), but you know as the Republicans used to love saying, these are all little "laboratories of democracy," so maybe you can sell them on your great ideas there. 

No, I have it on good authority that is people commuting from Conroe to Galveston.  For the record, I don't think they should get to vote for the Mayor of Houston, either.

spacer.png

Lol...don't be scared...the guns are only out because I'm cleaning them since yesterday was range day.  Besides they're only .22 rifles, not those evil black guns.  I ran those last week.

As a matter of fact I don't pay taxes for my tenants as I don't have any.  All the property I own is solely for the pleasure of myself and family.  If the jurisdiction is running the area poorly, as you say, I feel free to pipe up regardless of whether or not I'm voting there.  Anyone can, nothing really new there.  It's not a litmus test of any sort, I don't believe I've suggested anyone should get to vote in more than one locale nor have I said that the franchise should be restricted to property owners.

I don't think I'd ever move to NYC, but not because they'd allow non-citizens to vote.  Who knows, with some of the batflurf crazy stuff successive democratic administrations have come up with maybe some out-of-country influence will help them out.

For the record, I don't think non-residents can vote in city of Houston elections, unless of course local officials manage to mess things up.  That never happens, though, right?

I've seen the picture before but am still wondering what the fixation is.  Do you have some policy disagreement with "Santa" or did you have a bad experience as a child?

4 minutes ago, august948 said:

I've seen the picture before but am still wondering what the fixation is.  Do you have some policy disagreement with "Santa" or did you have a bad experience as a child?

You must be one of those people with poor facial recognition skillz … prosopagnosia, I think it’s called, thanks to Google.

(Doesn’t seem like that would complement your primary hobby, though … 😳)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

You must be one of those people with poor facial recognition skillz … prosopagnosia, I think it’s called, thanks to Google.

(Doesn’t seem like that would complement your primary hobby, though … 😳)

Google is awesome...+1 for the new vocabulary word.  More evidence that English is indeed an awesome language.

I get the resemblance, just curious on the animus.  As for my hobbies, those are wide and varied, though in the one I think you are alluding to the usual doctrine is to go for center of mass so the face isn't really that important.  Only gamers and showoffs go for the head shot.