Mixed-Use Development At 4000 North Shepherd Dr.

Urbannizer

9 hours ago, steve1363 said:

What is your affection towards Sears?  It was my first job when I turned 16.  I never worked at this location but I believe it was store #1127.  It’s funny how one remembers the mundane store department codes (what a waste of brain space!).  Washers/Dryers was #26.  Lawn equipment was #9.  I bet I have some old training materials tucked away somewhere.  The only thing I really miss about Sears was the fresh smell of popcorn when one walked in the store, and their assortment of candies.  Berings used to keep a similar candy section with the very best chocolate covered peanuts, but alas they did away with that in their stores in favor of pre-packaged candies.

Time marches on and things change.  I doubt there is any redeeming value of an old Sears sign to a developer.  I know the Harold’s name was kept bizarrely for a restaurant.  That, however was Houston-based and just a single location.

I hope whatever Sears is torn down for it is something the neighborhood wants.  I find Shepherd to be too busy a street for me.  Wabash picked the worst street location in my opinion.  I know they were priced out from Washington but I wonder if they regret the move?  Time marches on…

Childhood memories, it was my go to store to see Santa in the 1960s. Also, it's just an interesting mid-century design. Maybe relace the neon in the same style, but with the new development name.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve1363 said:

If Target will be nearby then what about Walmart?  The nearest store is on Yale and I-10.  Actually Walmart would be perfect for that location.

The Walmart is on crosstimbers near 45 it is about two miles away. This is targeting a higher end clientele per all the reports and press materials. A Walmart is not destination shopping, it’s something to be avoided at all costs. 

IMG_0613.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buy-U-City said:

Childhood memories, it was my go to store to see Santa in the 1960s. Also, it's just an interesting mid-century design. Maybe relace the neon in the same style, but with the new development name.

There aren't a whole lot of original mid-century signs of that scale around, so there's definitely value in preserving it, especially considering existing signs are grandfathered under the COH sign code. If the developers are smart they'll do as you suggest and replace the Sears logo with the new development name, but if that happens I'd be surprised if they didn't convert the neon to LED lighting. Even in the capital of neon, Las Vegas, it's become common for large outdoor neon signs in need of repair to be converted to LED - the glass tubing makes neon expensive and comparatively hard to work with, while LED lighting has improved significantly in recent years. Many LED conversions used to look pretty bad, but now if they're done properly, the average person probably won't notice the difference from neon. Personally, I prefer neon, but I understand why someone would opt to replace it.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, s3mh said:

I would not be surprised to see an HEB.  The one on Shep at 24th and 25th is overflowing with customers during busy times of the day and so is the one on Washington.  There is going to be a lot more multifamily being built in the GOOF in the coming years as the Heights runs out of room.  

We go to this one and you're right, it's packed. But still, this location would be far too close to the other one. 

The only exception I can think of is the rumors HEB planned to build on Kirby which was not that far from their Montrose and Buffalo Speedway location. But here we are in 2024 and that HEB has still not materialized. 

Target would be a good fit but they already have an upcoming location down the street.

Walmart would just buy the entire lot and leave the rest as parking lot. I don't see them creating some sort of multi-family development... plus the other location is down the street at I-45.

Whole Foods is in decline so I don't see that happening. Central Market isn't happening because the income levels to the north and east don't support having that (yes, Heights and Garden Oaks are rich but it's not Galleria/Uptown/River Oaks rich nor the same amounts of wealthy population). 

I think the only option I've seen on here that makes sense is Trade Joe's so far unless there are other grocery stores that could enter the market?

I suppose ALDI could move here.

HEB in the Heights.png

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LBC2HTX said:

My guess is the WF on Yale/610 re-locates here. That location was opened as a “365” concept and is really undersized for the area. 

Someone on Nextdoor posted not too long ago that a cashier at that location had told them that the store was going to be permanently closing, but I have yet to see a single mention of this elsewhere. Given the unimpeachable veracity of the average Nextdoor post, I'm not holding my breath waiting for it to happen.

27 minutes ago, Triton said:

They closed the underperforming stores in bad locations, the one on Yale. is still open. I don't know about any others though.

Edited by hindesky
has it on Yale and changed it to Durham, I thought about and it's on Yale
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 1:13 AM, Triton said:

He likely went with it because they took the time to add "Garden Oaks" on the side of the building, but I get what you mean.

Right, but I'm not sure if my initial post is being misunderstood.

I only pointed out the rendering @Urbannizer shared is for another development in Memphis. Others here - or those who view this elsewhere because someone saw it here and posted it elsewhere- may not have known. I know I didn't until a reverse image search.   

I only mentioned it because this forum receives lots of visitors. Many of those visitors take what's shared here and post it elsewhere. There was nothing more to my first post, if that makes any sense.

While the rendering is likely not of the proposed mixed-use development at 4000 N Shepherd Dr, it could be an idea of what developers may have in mind for the property. Personally, I'm holding out for a high-rise. That may not be in the plans here. And if it's not, that's fine. Regardless, I hope developers reveal additional designs for this project soon. There is so much potential for an interesting building or buildings that could be as iconic to this part of town as the Sears signage.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 2

On 1/6/2024 at 5:40 PM, hindesky said:

I'm going to guess Sprouts.

On 1/6/2024 at 10:33 PM, Triton said:

On 1/6/2024 at 10:39 PM, hindesky said:

They closed the underperforming stores in bad locations, the one on Yale. is still open. I don't know about any others though.

I doubt Sprouts will open a location at the former Sears at 4000 N Shepherd Dr. In addition to the three Houston area stores closing last year, other locations throughout the country shuttered in 2023. Granted, this development is a few years away; still, to me, that's a sign more locations may not be in store any time soon for Houston.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

• 3 months later...