Hilton Home2 Suites/TRU Hotel At 1540 Leeland St.

Paco Jones

Nice!  The Crossroads area was great. Reminded me a lot of midtown with street grids and a street car. One thing KC apparently did (I haven't checked and am just going off my experience and uber driver's story) is they made buses and the light rail FREE. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LosFeliz said:

One thing KC apparently did (I haven't checked and am just going off my experience and uber driver's story) is they made buses and the light rail FREE. 

This is actually a pretty good review of the situation up to January, when the transit board had to decide on reinstating fares.

Free bus rides in Kansas City need more dollars to continue | Kansas City Star

"RideKC buses and paratransit vehicles have been a free ride since March 2020. Now the temporary federal money that made that possible is running out, and local officials are at a loss for who will foot the bill. Might this mean the end of zero fare?

That depends on whether the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority can close a $10 million gap with new funding from local, state and federal sources. They have no assurance that the money to keep rides free will be there in 2025.

The KCATA made that clear late last year when it raised the possibility of needing to reinstate fares, which led to a groundswell of public support for keeping transit free.

But what’s been left out previously is that the KCATA might have had a cushion to assure at least two more years of free fares, had Kansas City’s government lived up to its promise to fully fund its share of the program."

A few days later, the board voted unanimously to continue study fare reinstatement.

KCATA board votes unanimously for further study on bus fare plan (kmbc.com)

• Like 3

22 hours ago, ChannelTwoNews said:

This is actually a pretty good review of the situation up to January, when the transit board had to decide on reinstating fares.

Free bus rides in Kansas City need more dollars to continue | Kansas City Star

"RideKC buses and paratransit vehicles have been a free ride since March 2020. Now the temporary federal money that made that possible is running out, and local officials are at a loss for who will foot the bill. Might this mean the end of zero fare?

That depends on whether the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority can close a $10 million gap with new funding from local, state and federal sources. They have no assurance that the money to keep rides free will be there in 2025.

The KCATA made that clear late last year when it raised the possibility of needing to reinstate fares, which led to a groundswell of public support for keeping transit free.

But what’s been left out previously is that the KCATA might have had a cushion to assure at least two more years of free fares, had Kansas City’s government lived up to its promise to fully fund its share of the program."

A few days later, the board voted unanimously to continue study fare reinstatement.

KCATA board votes unanimously for further study on bus fare plan (kmbc.com)

As a general rule, I'm against fare-free transit. While I think transit should be heavily subsidized, and people who need free rides should be able to get them via some kind of process, I think transit agencies need revenue streams that aren't subject to mayoral whims.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...