The Block: Retail, Office Development At 2339 Commerce St.

4 hours ago, ljchou said:

"Common Desk" signage is up. Looks like they are currently setting up inside the south side of the building.

No word on Bishop Cidercade. The Austin location just opened, which means it should free up their development team to target Houston. It's still listed on their website as "Coming Soon" with no additional updates.

I’m very concerned that this will ultimately be canceled. I don’t know that any type of arcade is a viable business in this post-COVID world. The amount of staff needed for sanitization efforts alone would be problematic. 

Have Dave & Busters or Main Event reopened? 

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

I’m very concerned that this will ultimately be canceled. I don’t know that any type of arcade is a viable business in this post-COVID world. The amount of staff needed for sanitization efforts alone would be problematic. 

Have Dave & Busters or Main Event reopened? 

Cidercade opened in Austin mid-pandemic and are apparently doing okay.

Edited by ljchou

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The one thing I noticed, they have 3 sets of doors - but only 1 is an entrance.  The doors in the pic above, below the "Open" sign are "Exit Only"....the big white arrow on the building points towards the real entrance...when you get around the building, the next door is also an "Exit Only" door....finally down the walkway is the entrance....and the entrance door doesn't have any steps up to the walkway near it.....no biggie once you have been there a few times but seems like strange planning to me

4 hours ago, HoustonMidtown said:

The one thing I noticed, they have 3 sets of doors - but only 1 is an entrance.  The doors in the pic above, below the "Open" sign are "Exit Only"....the big white arrow on the building points towards the real entrance...when you get around the building, the next door is also an "Exit Only" door....finally down the walkway is the entrance....and the entrance door doesn't have any steps up to the walkway near it.....no biggie once you have been there a few times but seems like strange planning to me

I was thinking it's covid protocol, perhaps? Centralize entrances into the building and what not.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 1:25 PM, HoustonMidtown said:

20 hours ago, JBTX said:

I was thinking it's covid protocol, perhaps? Centralize entrances into the building and what not.

More than likely required by the city as fire exits.

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to The Block At 2339 Commerce St.
  • 9 months later...

There's a permit for a "Pizza Bar and Kitchen" at 2320 Canal Street, which shows up as the block.

The permit has a buyer listed as "McIntyre Services", who also a permit in for changes at Equal Parts Brewing. Not sure if it's a permit company, or a company that is making changes in the neighborhood.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sapo2367 said:

I know that Southside pizza is one block over -- maybe they are off by a little bit? 

I don't think that's the case. The permit is a plan review fee for a buildout of a kitchen. Southside flying pizza is on the 2200 block, as well.

• Like 1