Rye Heights: 7-Story Multifamily At 1111 W. 23rd St.

Urbannizer

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, toxtethogrady said:

That's before the egg-cartons started showing up. Amazing how many you can shove into a single-family lot - especially when there's no zoning...

The urbanists think the increased density is a good thing. I can't argue with that since the market seems happy with it. The lack of zoning means that density can grow organically in Houston, as opposed to places with many square miles of land zoned as single family only, where there can be no density increase. And, the area in the picture wasn't exactly high end. It was a bunch of really run down mid 20th Century frame houses on larger lots. There were also a few mobile home parks. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ross said:

The urbanists think the increased density is a good thing. I can't argue with that since the market seems happy with it. The lack of zoning means that density can grow organically in Houston, as opposed to places with many square miles of land zoned as single family only, where there can be no density increase. And, the area in the picture wasn't exactly high end. It was a bunch of really run down mid 20th Century frame houses on larger lots. There were also a few mobile home parks. 

It works in the middle of the city, but I'm seeing this kind of development out by Lake Conroe. And it's apparently a nationwide thing.

• The title was changed to Beall Street Heights: 7-Story Multifamily At 2315 Beall St.
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Beall Street Heights: 7-Story Multifamily At 1111 W. 23rd St.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

wow! cool to see a project on slow surface streets.

You can sort of see 3 generations of development, the large lot SF home, the townhomes on small lots and now the massive multifamily. 

I wonder how long until people are collecting townhomes to create big lots to build apartments. 

I used to think the townhomes were revolutionary, but now my hunch is that they'll be a stop gap or possibly a barrier to multifamily construction. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, goofy said:

wow! cool to see a project on slow surface streets.

You can sort of see 3 generations of development, the large lot SF home, the townhomes on small lots and now the massive multifamily. 

I wonder how long until people are collecting townhomes to create big lots to build apartments. 

I used to think the townhomes were revolutionary, but now my hunch is that they'll be a stop gap or possibly a barrier to multifamily construction. 

Townhomes will be a barrier to multi-family, I think. One holdout in 10 townhomes, especially connected townhomes, will prevent the demolition of the others. There are also all sorts of agreed easements, the HOA, and the deed restrictions to deal with.

We bought a Perry townhome East of Main in Midtown in 1998. One reason we moved was the potential for them to become a rundown mess, but that hasn't happened. I checked the HCAD records, and there are still several original owners from 24 years ago still living there. Lots of people like townhome living.

• Like 3

A lot of people also want to own property. Earning no equity and having the potential of your rent going up significantly each year is not something most people want to do for their entire life. Townhomes are still a good way to add density especially on smaller lots.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

PDG is leasing the parking lot of a Braun Enterprises property across the street. But Braun has long term plans for it.

https://braunenterprises.com/media/9/0/3/8/5/4/braun-enterprises---1100-w.-23rd-v2.pdf

caRPfUU.jpg

PDG has started the mock up in the parking lot, they also use it for parking and have a construction trailer in it.

YrQtA5W.jpg

F5mjv2O.jpg

phNr6Cq.jpg

WFeRnLT.jpg

X5kE1bS.jpg

• Like 7