Ironworks Campus - 711 Milby St.

6 minutes ago, 2ndwardOG said:

Roaster is Matt from little dreamer coffee has been in the coffee game for a long time..

the barista I got my coffee from on Saturday said it was a new roaster. I guess that means the owner has been around for a long time, but the business is new?

anyway, the espresso was nice and smooth, I didn't have the issue referenced above.

I believe Segundo Coffee lab serves high quality artesian Coffee. For those who are concerned with the pricing. Roaster is Matt T who was one of the original founders of boomtown coffee, which has been in the coffee game for many years. Owners are super nice and caring. I have seen and been to multiple coffee shops and hands down you get what you pay for. Space has urban industrial vibes. I’m happy to see more things like this coming to the East End. Well done Segundo Coffee lab.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Amanda Smith said:

I believe Segundo Coffee lab serves high quality artesian Coffee. For those who are concerned with the pricing. Roaster is Matt T who was one of the original founders of boomtown coffee, which has been in the coffee game for many years. Owners are super nice and caring. I have seen and been to multiple coffee shops and hands down you get what you pay for. Space has urban industrial vibes. I’m happy to see more things like this coming to the East End. Well done Segundo Coffee lab.

I think you meant artisan coffee. Artesian coffee evokes a never ending fountain of coffee coming from an infinite source😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, wilcal said:

I know there wouldn't be a drive-thru, but would love a donut place to pop up in the East End. Maybe here would be a good place? 

I haven't been yet, but my friends who live off Lawndale love Mr. Donut (if you were looking for a donut place on the East End): https://g.co/kgs/4uT2SH

Edited by 77011transplant
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 77011transplant said:

I haven't been yet, but my friends who live off Lawndale love Mr. Donut (if you were looking for a donut place on the East End): https://g.co/kgs/4uT2SH

I do love Mr. Donut, but was thinking of some of my friends who live off of Nagle who used to walk their dog on Sat morning and get a donut but that can't happen now. Also, Not Jus Donuts evidently doesn't sell donuts. 

On 7/23/2021 at 8:03 PM, wilcal said:

I do love Mr. Donut, but was thinking of some of my friends who live off of Nagle who used to walk their dog on Sat morning and get a donut but that can't happen now. Also, Not Jus Donuts evidently doesn't sell donuts. 

So you're saying it should be called Not Even Donuts

• Like 2

Stopped by this weekend. The building itself is very cool and I like the 'pod' offices made of shipping containers, especially the double decker ones. Might be annoying to have the second floor office, but it made for some interesting variation when you walked around. Segundo was good, although I would agree a little pricey for what you get. They had Koffeteria pastries, which is always a win in my book, and there were plenty of people sitting around enjoying the space. Overall a neat spot! 

One pet peeve -- they had just paved the parking lot and it was way too hot and stank. I wish more places did a porous parking lot! Better for runoff and also doesn't end up getting so hot in the summer. Its not like we have to worry about plowing snow in the winter around here haha.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sapo2367 said:

Stopped by this weekend. The building itself is very cool and I like the 'pod' offices made of shipping containers, especially the double decker ones. Might be annoying to have the second floor office, but it made for some interesting variation when you walked around. Segundo was good, although I would agree a little pricey for what you get. They had Koffeteria pastries, which is always a win in my book, and there were plenty of people sitting around enjoying the space. Overall a neat spot! 

One pet peeve -- they had just paved the parking lot and it was way too hot and stank. I wish more places did a porous parking lot! Better for runoff and also doesn't end up getting so hot in the summer. Its not like we have to worry about plowing snow in the winter around here haha.

Yeah and considering this area doesn't require parking, I wish they could do away with one of the parking lots. Preferably the one right next to the building. 

14 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Yeah and considering this area doesn't require parking, I wish they could do away with one of the parking lots. Preferably the one right next to the building. 

Agree. the area behind the building could make for a neat outdoor space.

I don't think this area is within the area that doesn't require any parking?

according to the walkable places user guide, page 43, on a secondary TOD street, they need to meet 50% parking needs https://houstontx.gov/planning/docs_pdfs/User's Guide for WP and TOD report_6_24_2020.pdf

Milby is a secondary TOD road, as shown here.

https://mycity.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=21c363261727416fb517977a27407df9

I do wish this city would encourage permeable parking lots though.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, samagon said:

I don't think this area is within the area that doesn't require any parking?

according to the walkable places user guide, page 43, on a secondary TOD street, they need to meet 50% parking needs https://houstontx.gov/planning/docs_pdfs/User's Guide for WP and TOD report_6_24_2020.pdf

Milby is a secondary TOD road, as shown here.

https://mycity.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=21c363261727416fb517977a27407df9

I do wish this city would encourage permeable parking lots though.

In terms of how the building is positioned on the property and whether it has to front the street or not is TOD/WP. But based off parking alone this business falls within the no parking mins area. I can see that rule applying outside of these areas. The developers probably felt it was going to be needed. 

Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 12.01.46 PM.png

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

In terms of how the building is positioned on the property and whether it has to front the street or not is TOD/WP. But based off parking alone this business falls within the no parking mins area. I can see that rule applying outside of these areas. The developers probably felt it was going to be needed. 

Which is exactly how the system should work. 🤗

• Like 2

2 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

But based off parking alone this business falls within the no parking mins area.

Maybe I’m confused by the way you worded it, but this property does not fall within the existing or proposed (recently adopted?) MBP area in that map. This property is east of the Houston Belt and Terminal Railway, which puts it outside of the zone.

If it is outside of the MBP, then the typical archaic parking minimums required by the City of Houston apply, correct?

Just now, thedistrict84 said:

Maybe I’m confused by the way you worded it, but this property does not fall within the existing or proposed (recently adopted?) MBP area in that map. This property is east of the Houston Belt and Terminal Railway, which puts it outside of the zone.

If it is outside of the MBP, then the typical archaic parking minimums required by the City of Houston apply, correct?

It does fall within the No Parking Min boundary. It doesn't require any parking but I'm assuming the developer did what they felt was best. Now if the development did fall outside of the No Parking Min boundary, they would have to follow TOD/WP criteria for parking if the street is considered TOD or secondary. And if the street isn't considered TOD or Secondary, then they have to follow original parking minimum requirements. However many spaces are needed per person. 

3 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 12.01.46 PM.png

it doesn't though. the dotted line that denotes the new edge runs along the RR track. the red dot outside of the Market Based Parking is this location. actually, the red dot is 2 blocks low, sorry, it's across Milby from the box shaded 'transportation and utility'.

zGiM6Ju.png

here's a Google map with the boundary highlighted, which is easier to see locations than the COH map.

wVbLulB.png

it's super hard to follow the COH map, but this is just on the wrong side of the boundary for no parking necessary. but basically, with or without the map, the boundary on this side is the RR track, so in person it's easy to know what side you're on.

on a side note, the parking minimum is exactly the boundary of EaDo, which I'm guessing isn't a coincidence, but that's another easy marker. the thread title makes that part of it confusing, if that's what you were basing it off of, cause the title says this is in EaDo, but it's technically not.

Edited by samagon
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, samagon said:

it doesn't though. the dotted line that denotes the new edge runs along the RR track. the red dot outside of the Market Based Parking is this location. actually, the red dot is 2 blocks low, sorry, it's across Milby from the box shaded 'transportation and utility'.

zGiM6Ju.png

here's a Google map with the boundary highlighted, which is easier to see locations than the COH map.

wVbLulB.png

it's super hard to follow the COH map, but this is just on the wrong side of the boundary for no parking necessary. but basically, with or without the map, the boundary on this side is the RR track, so in person it's easy to know what side you're on.

on a side note, the parking minimum is exactly the boundary of EaDo, which I'm guessing isn't a coincidence, but that's another easy marker. the thread title makes that part of it confusing, if that's what you were basing it off of, cause the title says this is in EaDo, but it's technically not.

Oh wow you're right! Damn that's crazy. Well now it makes me wonder why they didn't include the rest of the East End. Especially with East River and Triden developments going on. And Montrose needs to be next. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

I too wish that more of the east end was included in the parking minimum.

not just as mention the new places going up, but Harrisburg and Wayside area, that area has so much potential, and will really benefit from the TOD designation, but would benefit even more without parking minimums at all.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, samagon said:

I too wish that more of the east end was included in the parking minimum.

not just as mention the new places going up, but Harrisburg and Wayside area, that area has so much potential, and will really benefit from the TOD designation, but would benefit even more without parking minimums at all.

You can already see how the TOD standards are affecting Harrisburg. Exciting stuff but yes parking minimums have to go in this area. There is way too much potential!

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Stopped by Sat afternoon and it was busy inside. Line for coffee was 5 or 6 people deep and a bunch of people checking out the shops.

Still some construction on some of the spaces on the north side of the building. Looks like a Keller Williams office took most of the southern side that I thought was going to be shared office space. 

dxfOXFT.jpg

7KIlBXO.jpg

hRDrbHS.jpg

PiiVvyk.jpg

S5OgMfK.jpg

Does it make sense to change the name of this thread to represent the building itself?

Edited by wilcal
  • Like 5

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

"No one loves representing Houston as much as Houstonians. Whether you have lived here all your life or for 10 years, rallying up for a local event is what keeps our community standing strong and gearing up to support others. In this case, we have legendary pro-skateboarder, Dan MacFarlane who has chosen to give back to the Houston skateboarding community by opening his permanent store in the historic Iron Works building in the east end of downtown."

https://thebuzz.iheart.com/featured/alberta/content/2023-02-15-houston-skateboards-store-makes-its-grand-debut-in-historic-building/

• Like 2

• The title was changed to 711 Milby St.
  • 5 months later...

Ironworks is expanding with a second phase right behind their first location. Figured it made sense to keep the entire Ironworks project under a single forum topic.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyCNddeJ2C1/?img_index=1

WE’RE EXPANDING! Introducing the next phase of the Ironworks Campus- IRONWORKS PARK!

Located right behind our marketplace! 📍705 St. Joseph Street

IRONWORKS PARK will offer both Industrial warehouses and commercial spaces for small businesses.

These spaces are ideal for Event venues, E-Commerce, Light manufacturing, Creative workspace, food and beverage, and photography studios! Our lease space can range from 250 SF and up with flexible lease terms.

‼️If you’re interested in securing a space for your business, call 713-526-1802

🌱Green space, outdoor patio and sitting areas are some of the amenities the building will offer- in addition to seamless access to the fantastic dining, shops, and services at Ironworks Marketplace.

Edited by EastwoodEnvoy
  • Like 4