Sheraton-Lincoln Hotel At 711 Polk St.

Subdude

Wow! Welcome to HAIF and thanks for the tip!

I sure hope that is true. I love this building and hate seeing it a shell. It just seems surprising that Omni would want to buy in. I thought there was a lot of excess hotel room capacity, but maybe things have been tightening up with the strong economy.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Friend,

I grew up in Houston and just came back after living in San Diego for the past 5 years. I handle the business travel market for Hilton (Doubletree). Downtown Houston is booming with business right now with Deloitte moving from 3 Allen to Heritage and getting 3 times bigger. The Hyatt, Doubletree are undergoing renovations. What we are hearing is that Omni will not have to do abatement on that building since it is asbestos free.

What it looks like so far is that the structure will remain and undergo major renovations. Thanks for the great pics from the brochure. I never kew that used to be a Sheraton.

Wow! Welcome to HAIF and thanks for the tip!

I sure hope that is true. I love this building and hate seeing it a shell. It just seems surprising that Omni would want to buy in. I thought there was a lot of excess hotel room capacity, but maybe things have been tightening up with the strong economy.

If I hear anything else I will definitely keep you posted. I even asked my parents who grew up in Houston and they could not ever remember that hotel. It must have not been open for that long. It was such a big hotel for downtown at that time.

The asbestos abatement took place a few years ago when it was planned to become an annex to the Hyatt. Let's hope this works out - several redevelopment plans for the Sheraton have fallen through.

• 3 weeks later...
I work for the Doubletree Downtown in Sales, we heard in a meeting yesterday that the former Sheraton-Lincoln was just purchased by Dallas based Omni Hotels and should become the next hotel to hit downtown Houston.

Sounds like you were right! According to the current print edition of the Houston Business Journal, the Sheraton building is being sold "to an unidentified buyer who has plans for new hotel rooms, residential units or a combination of both. This was in an article about Brookfield buying Total Plaza next door. The spokesman compares it to what was done with the old Whitehall Hotel. I hope it comes through.

Yeah! I hope that is true, but on the other hand working for Doubletree I don't want the competition. I'm pretty sure it's going to be an Omni or perhaps a Starwood product, Sheraton, Westin etc. I was told that when that hotel was originally built the rooms to meeting space ratio was bad, so they had a hard time selling the hotel to conventions. I also heard that the celing height in the guest rooms was really low. I'm sure whoever takes it over will fix that.

Sounds like you were right! According to the current print edition of the Houston Business Journal, the Sheraton building is being sold "to an unidentified buyer who has plans for new hotel rooms, residential units or a combination of both. This was in an article about Brookfield buying Total Plaza next door. The spokesman compares it to what was done with the old Whitehall Hotel. I hope it comes through.

The ceiling height in the hotel section of the building is lower than in what were the floors for offices. The change in floor height is noticeable from the exterior. Unfortunately there's not a lot that can be done about that by new owners. That also makes sense that the meeting space was limited, since the meeting areas were only in the horizontal block at the base. The other reason this has proved a difficult building to redevelop is the very narrow plan in the upper floors, which limits floor plan options and room sizes. If the Hyatt had gone through with it's redevelopment the lack of meeting areas would not have been a problem.

It's nice to know that Houston's downtown isn't as empty as Dallas's downtown!

Does anyone know the story on the Sheraton Lincoln? Someone should either buy the place, refurbish it and turn it into condos or it should meet the wrecking ball...I work downtown, and that place looks like it's on the verge of collapse. Two other buildings downtown should be converted into condos as well -- the old Holiday Inn Hotel and another (don't know the name) across the elevated that some morons are spray painting with graffitti...

These three buildings are an eye sore.

Is that the same company in Dallas that purchased the Warwick Hotel in Houston?

Which Sheraton Houston are you talking about? There are three:

* Sheraton Houston Brookhollow - 3000 North Loop West Freeway, Houston, TX, 77092

* Sheraton Suites Houston near the Galleria - 2400 West Loop South, Houston, TX, 77027-4204

* Sheraton North Houston at George Bush Intercontinental - 15700 John F. Kennedy Boulevard, Houston, TX, 77032

Hmm, I just assumed he meant the original Sheraton-Lincoln downtown, since it had the asbestos issues at one point.

Downtown Sheraton big topic

Yeah, I guess I should have been more specific on that...

The ugly downtown one...the black and white stripped monstrosity...lol!

The thing is literally falling apart. I have to think it could pose a danger unless they do *something* with it soon...

• 2 weeks later...
This is the old Sheraton-Lincoln, right?

(http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=4417)

if so, thank goodness! finally! (i hope it really happens!)

I'm hoping it's that one too. I pass this eyesore everyday on my way to work. Nice pool view. Does anybody know if the Wedge Group ever plans to add a garage to the half-block across the street. I've always wondered how they compete without any parking options.

I'm hoping it's that one too. I pass this eyesore everyday on my way to work. Nice pool view. Does anybody know if the Wedge Group ever plans to add a garage to the half-block across the street. I've always wondered how they compete without any parking options.

They're contemplating a second tower. :ph34r: