Jani's Waffles - waffle concept

Pierogi Queen - Polish concept

Sandos - Japanese sandwich concept

Samosa Haus - Southeast Asian concept 

Tablitas - charcuterie cone concept

Peaky Grinders - burger concept 

BOH Slice - Roman pizza concept

Puncheon - wine bar

Wow. It's like each of these restaurants were trying to outdo each other for the cheesiest name. 

This place is turning into a bit of a disappointment. I can't help but think that the lack of access has at least something to do with the "changes to the lineup" mentioned. It looks good on paper, until you realize there isn't any direct walkway or other on-foot access to this place from the hundreds of homes in Cottage Grove. 

10 hours ago, august948 said:

It means "flash-in-the-pan trend that will be replaced within 12 months".

To live in Houston and to have trepidations about new food trends is like living in Hawaii and being afraid of the ocean.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, s3mh said:

To live in Houston and to have trepidations about new food trends is like living in Hawaii and being afraid of the ocean.  

No trepidations here...just means I'll either miss it because there thousands of other waves to surf here before I get to it or I'll get to it and then get to ride a wave of a different flavor once it breaks on the shore.

Edited by august948
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The food hall Railway Heights celebrated its soft opening earlier this month at 8200 Washington Ave., Houston, near Hempstead Road. The two-story building houses a number of dining options and local vendors, and future plans also involve hosting weekly farmers markets. A 13,000-square-foot beer garden is also being planned at the site, along with a dog park, stage and outdoor seating. As of mid-August, the following stalls were in operation:

Peaky Grinders, freshly ground burgers

Ms. Moss Potter, rare plants, terrariums and moss art

Samosa Haus, hand-rolled halal samosas

Drunken Pho, Vietnamese pho noodle soup

• Puncheon, a wine bar

• Churrazon, aguas frescas and other drinks

Mac & Twist, mac and cheese and fresh pasta

• The Greedy Chicken, chicken wings and sides

Heads & Tails, seafood

Sandos, Japanese sandwiches

Several stalls are coming soon, including:

• Mykuna, Latin cuisine

• Boh Slice, pizza

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/business/2021/08/16/business-roundup-upscale-minigolf-coming-to-old-sixth-ward-nettbar-coming-to-shady-acres/

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Capitalism can be very stupid.  The food halls have been hit hard by COVID.  Investors/lenders should be doing loan workouts and renegotiating terms and not going straight to defaulting these businesses and sending them into bankruptcy.  In bankruptcy, they will more than likely just have to liquidate as no one is going to be willing to fund them through a Chap 11.   That means the food halls close and then sit empty on the commercial property market for years and years and the investors get back pennies on the dollar in bankruptcy.  Instead, they could acknowledge that these businesses have been operating in extraordinary circumstances and work with them to share some of the pain from the pandemic and find reasonable terms to continue operations in what will hopefully be a much more profitable post-pandemic world.  But in the world of finance/capital such a move is heresy because of ingrained norms and business ethics that if you let one company up from a default, every single business in the US will then be emboldened to become deadbeats.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, s3mh said:

Capitalism can be very stupid.  The food halls have been hit hard by COVID.  Investors/lenders should be doing loan workouts and renegotiating terms and not going straight to defaulting these businesses and sending them into bankruptcy.  In bankruptcy, they will more than likely just have to liquidate as no one is going to be willing to fund them through a Chap 11.   That means the food halls close and then sit empty on the commercial property market for years and years and the investors get back pennies on the dollar in bankruptcy.  Instead, they could acknowledge that these businesses have been operating in extraordinary circumstances and work with them to share some of the pain from the pandemic and find reasonable terms to continue operations in what will hopefully be a much more profitable post-pandemic world.  But in the world of finance/capital such a move is heresy because of ingrained norms and business ethics that if you let one company up from a default, every single business in the US will then be emboldened to become deadbeats.  

A Notice of Default is not the same as foreclosure.  I don't see any indication whatsoever that the investors/lenders are forcing these businesses into bankruptcy and not exploring the possibility of loan workouts and renegotiation of terms.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

A Notice of Default is not the same as foreclosure.  I don't see any indication whatsoever that the investors/lenders are forcing these businesses into bankruptcy and not exploring the possibility of loan workouts and renegotiation of terms.

Read the article.  NextSeed said that they had been holding back on sending default notices in 20 and 21 because of the pandemic.  Companies are lawyering up.  And when you make a move like this, everyone else you deal with will be wary of dealing with you on any sort of credit basis and will want cash up front for fear of bankruptcy.  This is not how you start negotiations.  

3 hours ago, s3mh said:

Read the article.  NextSeed said that they had been holding back on sending default notices in 20 and 21 because of the pandemic.  Companies are lawyering up.  And when you make a move like this, everyone else you deal with will be wary of dealing with you on any sort of credit basis and will want cash up front for fear of bankruptcy.  This is not how you start negotiations.  

Read the article indeed:  "What will happen to these businesses with hundreds of investors who just received default notices? In the short term, probably nothing. “Issuing these notices is a process point. It’s meant to let investors and the businesses know that we are monitoring the payments,” Chu said. “Based on the investment documents, our job is to stay on top of it. Businesses have a couple of months to catch up before they are in default of their obligations, but that is not to say that we’re enforcing that immediately. That’s not the goal. The goal is to find a long-term path for the business to be successful and for investors to get their payments.”"

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A new ice cream concept / food stall is opening soon at Railway Heights Market in the Railway Heights development, 8200 Washington Ave.

According to What Now Houston, the ice cream shop is named IYKYK or IYKYK Ice Cream.

I'm assuming this will replace Scoop, the craft ice cream shop that has a brick-and-mortar storefront in Webster.

From the article:

"Co-owner Daniel Chen is aiming to open IYKYK to the public sometime in mid-July at 8200 Washington Ave. in Houston."

https://whatnowhou.com/new-ice-cream-concept-headed-to-houston

• Like 1

Railway Heights updated its website sometime in the last few months. The site includes a site map with current dining, beverage, and retail tenants for the market and food hall portion.

Among the dining tenants listed is a concept named Croff'd. Recent job listings for Croff'd indicate desserts will be served, mostly croffles (croissant waffles).

https://www.railwayheights.com/coming-soon-01

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Mini dessert shop Margaux Button recently closed at Railway Heights Market, 8200 Washington Ave. This was a concept that originally operated out of Bravery Chef Hall.

Replacing Margaux Button is a new deli concept from the same operators. The deli's name is Butter on Bacon. 

Most of the menu from Margaux Button carried over to the new concept. The food stall also offers sandwiches, salads, and artisanal pickles.

https://butteronbaconhtx.com

https://instagram.com/butteronbaconhtx

• 5 weeks later...

An updated leasing flyer for Railway Heights is listed online. The flyer shows a site plan of Railway Heights and current tenants: Railway Heights Market and The Story (church). MADabolic, a fitness gym is listed as a new tenant. There is also a 4,060 SF unit available on the first floor. The available unit can be divided.

https://www.crexi.com/lease/properties/411420/texas-railway-heights

https://api-lease.crexi.com/assets/411420/flyer

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Site plan / directory of Railway Heights Market, a tenant in the Railway Heights development. Railway Heights Market is the food hall and market at 8200 Washington Ave.

https://www.railwayheights.com/directory

880Izw9.jpg
DSmaLZG.jpg

First floor at Railway Heights Market:

• Event Areas

• 2. Pallet Jax

• Railway Heights Park

• Promenade

• Restaurants / Food Stalls
    • 1. Sit Bar

3. Station 8 Coffee

4. Moxy Roasters

5. Croff'd

Second floor

• Retail

• 1. EC Blooms & Co.
    • 2. Ms. Moss Potter
    • 3. The Pink Swan Shop
    • 4. RBIA Shades
    • 5. Livelihood
    • 6. Ziba Candles
    • 10. Lumi Bella Boutique
    • 11. Tea, Please
    • 12. The Crowns
    • 14. Too Chic & Cute
    • 15. Claudia Isabelle Jewelry
    • 16. Rame + Cherry Pie's Toys
    • 17. Teeli
    • 18. Watever Cute
    • 19. French & English
    • 20. Lotus Sky Botanicals
    • 25. Amir & Adam
    • 26. Halki Art Ceramics

• Restaurants / Food Stalls
    • 6.  Samosa Haus
    • 7.   Pita Z
    • 8.   Mykuna
    • 20. Peaky Grinders
    • 22. Drunken Pho
    • 23. Puncheon
    • 24. Churrazon
    • 29. Meishiko
    • 30. Greedy Chicken
    • 31. Takitoland

An updated leasing flyer for Railway Heights.

The flyer shows a site plan of Railway Heights and current tenants: Railway Heights Market and The Story (church). 

https://www.crexi.com/lease/properties/453041/texas-railway-heights

https://api-lease.crexi.com/assets/453041/flyer

SS6NSe4.jpg

qKZoU8R.jpg

1dWNnv8.jpg

3RFDQao.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

Drunken Pho closed October 29. This was a food stall serving Vietnamese fare in food hall Railway Heights Market. It was also one of the original food and beverage vendors when the food hall opened.

Other original food vendors that are no longer operating at Railway Heights Market, 8200 Washington Ave:

• Heads & Tails
  • Pierogi Queen
  • Tablitas

Community Impact notes a new retailer is leasing a space within Railway Heights Market: Bobbie's Pinups. The vintage clothing store opened in early October.

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/business/2022/10/03/vintage-clothing-store-bobbies-pinups-is-latest-tenant-to-join-railway-heights-food-hall/

Also loose leaf tea purveyor Tea Korner, opened a stall at Railway Heights Market in early October.

https://www.tea-korner.com

HycmoBZ.jpg

Does anyone know if Pallet Jax was completed? 

Pallet Jax is the outdoor bar on the grounds of Railway Heights. It's part of Company of Nomads' Railway Heights Market at Railway Heights (8200 Washington Ave). 

The bar is constructed of pallets. A stage will also be included.

https://www.instagram.com/pallet.jax

Here is a rendering posted to Pallet Jax's Instagram earlier this year (at least I think it is... I have not been to this development in months, so, I don't know if this is up and running):

YtX2FAr.jpg

Construction progress of the stage from June

GKc5IPR.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Last week, Samosa Haus announced its leaving Railway Heights Market at 8200 Washington Ave.

The food stall is leaving the food hall and market at the end of December. It was one of the original vendors when Railway Heights Market opened in the Railway Heights development.

Their announcement on Instagram:

" We are announcing our departure from Railway Heights Food Hall by the end of December. We have had an amazing time here, learned sooo much, and have met some truly fantastic people along the way. We have been humbled and thankful for the continuous support from all of our customers, including our regular customers that consistently come to enjoy our food. We never would have thought we'd make it this far or that we'd be on TV and featured on the news. We come from very humble beginnings, we never had the resources other big restaurants had, and we were the tiniest space in Railway; yet we strived, day after day, because we believed in ourselves. We're ecstatic that there were thousands of people who've never tried South Asian cuisine, or had samosas, have us be the first time they tried this cuisine."

"It is not a permanent goodbye though. We are regrouping and strategizing on the best move forward with the concept. In mid-late 2023 we will be looking for brick and mortar locations for a full menu 
Samosa Haus offering grilled meats, biryani , curries and much more."

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cl93G5VpS-L

On 8/4/2022 at 6:57 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

An updated leasing flyer for Railway Heights is listed online. The flyer shows a site plan of Railway Heights and current tenants: Railway Heights Market and The Story (church). MADabolic, a fitness gym is listed as a new tenant.

Website for fitness gym MADabolic coming soon to 8200 Washington Ave.

It will join Railway Heights Market and The Story as the latest tenant at the Railway Heights campus.

https://www.madabolic.com/location/The-Heights

https://www.instagram.com/mad_theheights/

Does anyone know if there are changes on the way to Railway Heights Market? This is the market and food hall at 8200 Washington Avenue. It's part of the Railway Heights development.

Company of Nomads manages Railway Heights Market. It's part of their company portfolio of food halls. However, I noticed something recently that seemed odd, at least to me.

Chicago-based Easy Park, who is the owner of the Railway Heights development, filed an entity for 8200 Washington Food Hall LLC not too long ago. I wonder if this means Easy Park or one of its subsidiaries will take over management of Railway Heights Market soon? 

Company of Nomads was managing the food hall leasing it out from East Park. after CoN couldn’t make payments anymore, Easy Park did away with them and brought their own management team.

Now in addition to automated parking garages and property management, they’re getting into the food hall management business.

now, I have a friend that leases a space at railway heights and he told me the new management company has “many plans” for the food hall. One of which is to bring in a brewery that would bring in a more steady flow of customers. Each tenant was evaluated and only some were asked to renew for another year. Those that weren’t so lucky are going to be replaced 

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 2:33 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Does anyone know if there are changes on the way to Railway Heights Market? This is the market and food hall at 8200 Washington Avenue. It's part of the Railway Heights development.

Company of Nomads manages Railway Heights Market. It's part of their company portfolio of food halls. However, I noticed something recently that seemed odd, at least to me.

Chicago-based Easy Park, who is the owner of the Railway Heights development, filed an entity for 8200 Washington Food Hall LLC not too long ago. I wonder if this means Easy Park or one of its subsidiaries will take over management of Railway Heights Market soon? 

On 12/22/2022 at 9:30 AM, emmanume said:

Company of Nomads was managing the food hall leasing it out from East Park. after CoN couldn’t make payments anymore, Easy Park did away with them and brought their own management team.

Now in addition to automated parking garages and property management, they’re getting into the food hall management business.

now, I have a friend that leases a space at railway heights and he told me the new management company has “many plans” for the food hall. One of which is to bring in a brewery that would bring in a more steady flow of customers. Each tenant was evaluated and only some were asked to renew for another year. Those that weren’t so lucky are going to be replaced 

Thanks, @emmanume. I knew Company of Nomads was leasing the massive unit for Railway Heights Market. Still, most local media erroneously reported the entire building as Railway Heights Market. Many also inaccurately attributed the entire building as a project from Company of Nomads.

However, I missed the announcement alluding to the change in management for Railway Heights Market, including other developments to come:

"We are excited to announce that we are reinventing Railway! Change is necessary for growth and we can’t wait to show you the results."

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ck_zHK_JRBq

In the comments of that posts, new management assured people they'll continue to support local vendors. But I do wonder about other changes.

On 10/24/2019 at 9:32 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Originally posted July 5, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

I wasn't  able to 
retrieve  everything I contributed to this forum, mostly what was posted on the first page last year (included earlier renderings, archived links to leasing brochures, and earlier reports of the project). However I was able to save pages 2 and 3 from this thread and will repost content I shared (and found) previously from those pages. Archive links coming soon.

More on Railway Heights at 8200 Washington Ave, Houston in the Washington Corridor. 

This comes from their other company Verde, which is their retail and apartment arm.

This may be the name of another component or maybe the proposed residential portion previously discussed: The Junction. It's the first time that name has been used and tied to Railway Heights. Maybe the name is to tie into their railroad theme and homage. There is also news of a 15-story high rise that may be residential, a hotel,  or both. Previous news has only touched on residential with shipping container apartments (read past posts in the thread)

There will also be a distillery from Austin somewhere in the mixed-use, retail, food hall portion that is Railway Heights Market. This is the first time this has been shared publicly.

The Junction & Railway Heights

Description:

A newly constructed mixed use retail property on 3.6 acres located on the western edge of the Heights near Timbergrove in Houston’s inner loop. The property is conveniently located just north of I-10 and close by also to the recently constructed connector to I-290 and North 610.

We are completely renovating a 40,000 SF existing two story building. Our primary tenant is the Conservatory which is opening up a food hall of more than 50 stalls, a gourmet food market, and a beer garden complete with family oriented games and entertainment. This will be the Conservatory’s third, and its largest, location after Bravery at the Hines / Met Life high rise on Market Square and the Conservatory/Silent Theater at 1004 Prairie in downtown Houston. While not yet confirmed, we believe the remaining 15,000 SF of space will be leased to a smartphone app-driven food delivery company and a distillery which first opened in Austin TX.

Development Plan:
The food hall comprises 25,000 square feet of space on two levels. We are currently leasing the remaining 15,000 square feet in the building. Please contact us with leasing inquiries. In our second phase, we plan a fully automated parking garage in the northeast corner of the site which will comprise 12 levels. In the third and final phase, we plan a high-rise building of 15 stories or taller for residential or hotel use, or both.

Timing of Phases:

Phase I: 2018-2019
Phase II: late 2019-2020  
Phase III: 2020-2022

https://verdecommunities.com/commercial-projects/the-junction-railway-heights/

I didn't see any mention of this in the topic, but Easy Park established the entity Junction HTX LLC last year. A domain for Junction HTX was also registered last year: junctionhtx.com.

I guess there are still plans of some king for the Junction.