U-Haul Moving & Storage Expansion At 1617 San Jacinto St.

Urbannizer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I’ve asked 2 different workers what they were building one had no clue and the second one said apartments. Whatever is being built they will be using a tower crane to do it. Zero below grade excavation and they are already putting in concrete columns.

45498335545_d6295881b2_k.jpgCD843F16-78C0-40B0-81B1-E535BFF11F5F by David, on Flickr

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 1

Environmental signage said U-Haul San Jacinto.Burton is the construction company but couldn’t find anything on their website https://burtonconstruction.com/projects/

46360340872_a2a14bac8e_k.jpg8F139AC5-8AE3-43A3-A3E0-5AD3F3FB8E80 by David, on Flickr

46360339942_b8e523893d_k.jpgFFE3B876-4301-4F94-9C58-F24F9E780A47 by David, on Flickr

Edited by hindesky
Added more information
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2018 at 1:23 PM, hindesky said:

I talked with the guy collecting the cement samples and said it was going to be a 6 stories high U-Haul storage. 4 stories of storage and 2 of their retail store. He said that they saw a need for a storage with all the people moving downtown.

If true, This is good, IMO.

not everything downtown can be and “entertainment” venue.  For downtown to exit as a neighborhood, it will need “infrastructure” like this.  I hope that this info is correct.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Triton said:

Yes, it may look multifamily but the real question HAIF has... is there GFR?

Of course there will be GFR. Every U-Haul store that I've been to sells moving boxes, tape for the boxes, and locks for the storage rooms. You don't even have to be renting a space to buy this stuff. :)

Maybe it will incorporate a Starbuck's too. Folks will need a little jolt to unload all there stuff into their storage spaces.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, cspwal said:

I wonder if you'll be able to rent trucks or at least return them there

The previous building had truck/trailer rental, with all of the inventory parked out back or on the roof. I guess the Midtown location will take most of their business during construction.

• 4 weeks later...