Mattress Firm At 1261 W. 11th St.

HeightsGuy

So, which marketing genius came up with the idea to open a mattress store in the new building on the corner of Shepherd/11th? I know, I know, better than a crack house or convenience store, but c'mon....

Sorry for the rant, but seeing that on the heels of witnessing an auto parts store going into the old Luby's space next to Kroger makes me want to rant a little. Argh!

So, which marketing genius came up with the idea to open a mattress store in the new building on the corner of Shepherd/11th? I know, I know, better than a crack house or convenience store, but c'mon....

Sorry for the rant, but seeing that on the heels of witnessing an auto parts store going into the old Luby's space next to Kroger makes me want to rant a little. Argh!

I just can't wait until the state of retail changes on Shepherd. A few less car lots please. They seem to be dissapearing on Durham but not being replaced with some other kind of retail. Seems to be a lot of hesitation to locate a buisness on the Shepherd/Durham corridor.

I saw them putting the Mattress whatever sign up there yesterday and had the same thought. Disappointing but those bland retail establishments are what keep the ecomony alive.

At least the strip center was done in a faux old brick building style.

Not the worst thing they could have put on that corner, but still, come on... it's a waste of a pedestrian friendly corner. Nobody walks to a mattress store to pick one up and carry it home on their backs. You have to drive to one of those places. It doesn't encourage walkable living. Then again, the location isn't really in the Heights or Heights Annex even, it's on their boundary with Timbergrove/Merchant's Park. I think it'll be fine.

Have you seen what a good mattress sells for these days? I mean a GOOD mattress. I bought one a couple of months ago, and ended up getting a deal at $1,300. Many of the ones I saw were $2,500. I bet there's big money to be made there.

And the used mattress market is huge. I saw a report on Dateline or 60 Minutes or something about it. Used mattresses can be had for next to nothing. $30 worth of fixing up, and it's back on sale for $300. That's a heck of a markup.

When I moved to Houston, I needed to buy a matress. I was shocked at the price at places around town then wanted to charge for delivery.

I went to Sam's Club and bought a Serta Pillow Top matress for about 50% less. It wasn't used and it was a name brand. The only problem is I had to haul it home myself. Luckily my dad was in town with his truck.

• 2 months later...

I agree. It was a big disappointment to see a mattress store in that center. You would think that would be a perfect place for a restaurant. I moved to the Heights a year ago and love it, but there is definitely a lack of or limited number of restaurants. It believe like a lot of people here would frequent them (hence the success of BerryHill), so why are business owners still scared to take a risk on more restaurants in the Heights? Even ones that would fit into the feel of the neighborhood?

Doesn't make much sense to me.

I agree. It was a big disappointment to see a mattress store in that center. You would think that would be a perfect place for a restaurant. I moved to the Heights a year ago and love it, but there is definitely a lack of or limited number of restaurants. It believe like a lot of people here would frequent them (hence the success of BerryHill), so why are business owners still scared to take a risk on more restaurants in the Heights? Even ones that would fit into the feel of the neighborhood?

Doesn't make much sense to me.

It goes back to the Heights being dry. Most restaurants can't do w/o the liquor profits.

This makes no sense.

Even in the dry parts of DFW, you can get a drink in a restaurant with those silly cards.

So why is the Heights stuck in such a funk?

I believe it goes back to when the Heights was a city and it has never changed. I believe it could change with a vote but I don't see that happening. A strange thing though. I looked into the window of Shade during the 19th St. Christmas open house (or should I say Holiday open house :rolleyes: ) and they had a full bar going. Must have been a private party.

I believe it goes back to when the Heights was a city and it has never changed. I believe it could change with a vote but I don't see that happening. A strange thing though. I looked into the window of Shade during the 19th St. Christmas open house (or should I say Holiday open house :rolleyes: ) and they had a full bar going. Must have been a private party.

Go to Shade. Order dinner and sign up to be a member [free]. Drink until you drown.

B)

Go to Shade. Order dinner and sign up to be a member [free]. Drink until you drown.

B)

The wine list is amazing. They stole the sommalier from Mockingbird Bistro and have a focus on smaller wineries, more esoteric wines at great prices. My wine snob of a husband even applauds the list. They don't do bad with a martini either :blush:

The original town of Houston Heights was dry. The City of Houston, as part of its agreement to annex, agreed to keep the original town area dry. However, Houston Heights is a pretty small area. For instance, the original town boundary stops between Oxford (Heights) and Beverly (not Heights). This is what allowed Onion Creek and Berryhill to obtain alcohol permits. I believe the western border is Yale.

Everywhere else is wet. There are plenty of spots where restaurants can open with alcohol, plus there is the club route, a la Shade, as well. The bigger problem was, until a few years ago the Heights did not have the type of residents to support restaurants. Gentrification is changing that.

BTW, the spot where the mattress store is located is wet.

The original town of Houston Heights was dry. The City of Houston, as part of its agreement to annex, agreed to keep the original town area dry. However, Houston Heights is a pretty small area. For instance, the original town boundary stops between Oxford (Heights) and Beverly (not Heights). This is what allowed Onion Creek and Berryhill to obtain alcohol permits. I believe the western border is Yale.

The west boundery is 1/2 blk. west of Nicholson.

• 1 month later...
It goes back to the Heights being dry. Most restaurants can't do w/o the liquor profits.

They should check with the Heights Association, because we would rather see a nice resturant with a liquor license than fast food or mattress stores. Besides, the actual dry area is relatively small compared with the what is commonly reffered to as the Heights. I live in a wet area (thank God!) between Berryhill and Onion Creek and even though I dont like the thought of more convience stores I know the staff at Valero pretty well. I'd like to see more retail shops, art galleries and nice resturants but the property values are increasing at such a rate that it will be tough to turn a profit for a small business.

Haha! At least you didn't get a nail salon or a cell phone place! :lol:

• The title was changed to A Mattress Store Are You Kidding Me
  • The title was changed to Mattress Firm At 1261 W. 11th St.

Archived