The Jones On Main: Office Building At 708/712 Main St.

Texasota

I haven't traveled downtown in a while, so I don't know when Lit Chicken closed their food stall at Finn Hall. I enjoyed their food and hope it resurfaces in the future as Low Tide has (I think a brick-and-mortar of Low Tide may open soon in either League City or Spring Branch).

I also miss Oddball Eats. Hopefully, Finn Hall's operators can figure out how to draw more people in. It has potential.

A Hawaiian-inspired bento box stall opened this year named Maui Bento. Has anyone tried anything from their menu?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Hopefully, Finn Hall's operators can figure out how to draw more people in. It has potential.

I think it should try holding some events.  I think they may be trying.  A couple of weeks ago, it seemed that they had a DJ playing music to attract attention.  Unfortunately, it was so loud that people were deliberately crossing the street to avoid Finn Hall.  You couldn't walk anywhere near the place, so naturally the outdoor dining space was empty.

That outdoor space seems really under-utilized.  It really could be something with very little effort.

• Thanks 1

I went into Finn Hall last week to pick up some food for someone.  The chicken place has been replaced by a burger place called Craft Burger.

• Can't order online from this location.  Only from the Katy location.
  • There's a big menu for Craft Burger posted on a sign in front of an empty stall.  At first I thought the place was closed, and was starting to leave when I saw it behind me.
  • It's still dealing with some of the usual rough patches that new locations go through while the staff gets trained and used to how things work.  The people making my order kept looking up at the big menu board and pointing, I think trying to figure out what comes with each item.
  • The basic cheeseburger is good, but basic.  Pretty much what you'd expect from a food court burger.  The (bun seemed a bit old, or stale.  But maybe that's a style.  Or it's on purpose to suck up some of the juice, because even for a medium-well burger, it was very greasy.
  • The onion rings are excellent. 
  • The cheese curds are sub-par, but edible.  They were supposed to come with a side of ranch, but didn't.  Soggy, and the coating is some kind of cornmeal or something. They should be the same coating as the onion rings.  I base my cheese curd knowledge on the millions of curds I've consumed at northwoods taverns in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and the U.P.  The gold standard is Minnesota State Fair cheese curds.
  • I'm not going to say much about value-for-money, because what's expensive to me may be cheap to someone else.  But I think $18 for a Juicy Lucy is whackadoodle-do.  I don't care how much truffle oil you put on it.
  • Based on the inclusion of cheese curds and Juicy Lucys on the menu, I think this place is trying to aim for an upper midwest flavor, but conspicuous as they are, they're the only indication of this.

Would go back for the onion rings, and maybe the cheese curds because there aren't a lot of cheese curd options in Houston.

Nit pick: The link to the online menu reads "Download PDF," but it links to a low-quality JPEG.  Business owners shouldn't build their own web sites.  They have more important things to do.  That's what people like me are for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Posts about Finn Hall from the topic "POST: 401 Franklin Post Office Site Redevelopment". Finn Hall is the food hall at 712 Main St inside the Jones on Main.

On 7/17/2022 at 2:24 PM, editor said:

It probably also helped that there was a comic book convention at the GRB.  The Chronicle said there were 48,000 people here for that. 

All those hungry stomachs, and yet Finn Hall was closed.

On 7/18/2022 at 10:37 PM, Triton said:

I don't see Finn Hall surviving, at least in its current state. It's dead during peak lunchtime hours when it should be full of office workers and much to my surprise, was even dead in the evening after hours, when we expected people to be at the bar getting drinks. It was so bad the past few evenings we gone that the singer/guitarist they hire to play live music leaves after about 5 songs because there's literally no one else in there, so he's definitely not getting any tips. 

On 7/19/2022 at 7:59 AM, Texasota said:

People will go out of their way to go to Post but actively avoid going to Finn Hall which is in the middle of everything. A useful reminder that, at the end of the day, the content/ product really matters. And Finn Hall just isn't good enough. At least not for Houston. It might do fine in a lesser food city.

On 7/19/2022 at 8:21 AM, Nate99 said:

Finn's choices were pushing it on price even before inflation got going.  DT workers might go there a couple of times a month, but it would have drained the budgets of most cube dwellers.  I tried nearly all of the first group of stall vendors, and I only really enjoyed the Korean place.  The Mediterranean-ish place, the one in the corner closest to Main (Dish Society?), and the burger place were all more expensive than something equivalent or better quality wise that you could find within a five minute walk.  The pizza booth didn't last long at all, I'm guessing because of the rent. Pizza is cheap to make, hard to justify the extra charge. 

Then DT evacuated for a year. Maybe someone will figure out a better formula there. 

On 7/19/2022 at 9:32 AM, rechlin said:

I wanted to like Finn Hall, I really did.  But their most interesting place (Mala Sichuan) quickly went downhill (switching to more American Chinese, which we don't need more of downtown) and then closed, and always the prices at all the vendors were too high, so I haven't eaten there in a long time now.  I'd rather spend $12 for lunch than $20.

On 7/19/2022 at 10:47 AM, editor said:

I think it might do OK, even with lesser food.  For the downtown crowd, which is largely office workers and tourists, its fundamental flaws to me are:

• Short operating hours
  • Not open on weekends
  • Half of the stalls are vacant

If it brought in some b-list, or chain restaurants, even that would help.  Look at the food court under Pennzoil Place.  That place is absolutely mobbed at lunch time.  People wait in line 45 minutes to get Treebeards to go.  The Chick-fil-a is still busy at 5pm when everything else has closed.

I think Treebeards would be a good fit for Finn Hall.  The one at Pennzoil is always busy, and it's a local brand.  There's another Treebeards at the Episcopal Cathedral at Fannin and Texas.  A third outlet seems warranted.

On 7/19/2022 at 12:57 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

I completely agree. Isn't it great how not being open on the weekends is important now? It was almost a given just a few years back that the weekends were a dead time for any business downtown. That's def a negative for Finn Hall right now, they need to expand their hours already. Most places are getting back to normal and Finn is still operating on a mid pandemic schedule. 

14 hours ago, JBTX said:

Finn Hall finally caved. Open on weekends (Saturday's only, but it's a start) starting in September:
https://houston.eater.com/2022/8/24/23319934/houston-downtown-food-court-finn-hall-expansion-openings

11 hours ago, editor said:

Baby steps.  But I guess this means I can try out that new coffee shop!

On 8/24/2022 at 2:28 PM, JBTX said:

Finn Hall finally caved. Open on weekends (Saturday's only, but it's a start) starting in September:
https://houston.eater.com/2022/8/24/23319934/houston-downtown-food-court-finn-hall-expansion-openings

From the Eater Houston article about new dining options at Finn Hall (712 Main Street):

"Downtown’s 20,000-square-foot food venue, Finn Hall, is expanding its offerings, with four new restaurants this fall, including Maui Bento Box, Cranky Carrot Juice Co., Pecking Order, and Craft Burger, which returns to the food hall after closing during the pandemic."

I'm glad there are a few new food stalls at Finn Hall. However, Eater Houston's reporting is inaccurate. It's three new restaurants: Maui Bento Box, Cranky Carrot Juice Co., and Pecking Order. 

I'm also glad weekend hours are slightly returning to Finn Hall. Maybe if traffic picks up, hours will be extended to midnight or a little later on Fridays and Saturdays.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

I'm glad there are a few new food stalls at Finn Hall. However, Eater Houston reporting is inaccurate. It's three new restaurants: Maui Bento Box, Cranky Carrot Juice Co., and Pecking Order. 

The Bento place was open when I was there on Monday.  And yeah, that burger joint has been open for several months. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Henderson & Kane is expanding to the Jones on Main, according to a Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation filing earlier this month. I think it will be located in Finn Hall at 712 Main St.

Hints for the downtown location were reported last month on Chron.com:

"There's now also a third location of Henderson & Kane that's slated to open in the next few months, in a yet-to-be-disclosed building in downtown Houston right off Main Street."

However, the architectural barriers project details filing lists an estimated completion date of February 2023.

The downtown outpost of Henderson & Kane won't offer a full barbecue menu. According to owners John and Veronica Avila: 

"...it will be a smaller outpost than the other two, more like a deli or a bodega. It will sell various food products, and in lieu of a full barbecue menu, it will focus instead on cured meats and charcuterie."

https://www.chron.com/food/article/henderson-kane-new-locations-17395197.php

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Another dining concept is opening soon in Finn Hall, the food hall at 712 Main St. The food stall is Firenoodz. I'm assuming this is a noodle concept based on the name. I don't know if this will be a regional Chinese, Korean, Japanese, or an Asian-fusion restaurant.

I think this may be a new concept from the group behind Oh My Gogi. There are no permits, filings, entities, or websites for Firenoodz. There are also no articles, blurbs, or social media posts about it. There is, however, an Instagram that seems to be connected to the restaurant.

https://www.instagram.com/fire_noodz/

• Like 4

On 10/18/2022 at 5:55 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Another dining concept is opening soon in Finn Hall, the food hall at 712 Main St. The food stall is Firenoodz. I'm assuming this is a noodle concept based on the name. I don't know if this will be a regional Chinese, Korean, Japanese, or an Asian-fusion restaurant.

I think this may be a new concept from the group behind Oh My Gogi. There are no permits, filings, entities, or websites for Firenoodz. There are also no articles, blurbs, or social media posts about it. There is, however, an Instagram that seems to be connected to the restaurant.

FireNudes …that was my first thought. 

I have a dirty mind 

• Haha 1

Firenoodz created a new Instagram for their food stall coming to Finn Hall food hall (712 Main St).

https://www.instagram.com/firenoodzhouston

Also, a website with very little details:

https://www.firenoodzhouston.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Joining Firenoodz at Finn Hall is the Smoke. It's a barbecue restaurant opening soon at 712 Main St.

The Smoke is the latest concept from Reggie Scott of Memphis barbecue stand Uncle Reggie's International BBQ, a frequent vendor at Braeswood Farmers Market.  Scott also served as a sous chef at Kulture restaurant in downtown Houston.

Scott recently announced his new dining concept with a photo of displaying a coming soon signage at the food hall.

https://www.instagram.com/thesmokehtx/

JcHCdBh.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/7/2022 at 8:55 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Joining Firenoodz at Finn Hall is the Smoke. It's a barbecue restaurant opening soon at 712 Main St.

The Smoke is the latest concept from Reggie Scott of Memphis barbecue stand Uncle Reggie's International BBQ, a frequent vendor at Braeswood Farmers Market.  Scott also served as a sous chef at Kulture restaurant in downtown Houston.

Scott recently announced his new dining concept with a photo of displaying a coming soon signage at the food hall.

https://www.instagram.com/thesmokehtx/

The Smoke opens at Finn Hall on November 28.

An announcement regarding the opening is in the food stall's Instagram bio. There is also a link to their website that was recently included.

The Smoke is one on the latest dining additions to Finn Hall. The food hall is located at 712 Main in the Jones on Main.

https://www.thesmokehtx.com/

• Like 2

On 11/15/2022 at 1:48 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

The Smoke opens at Finn Hall on November 28.

An announcement regarding the opening is in the food stall's Instagram bio. There is also a link to their website that was recently included.

The Smoke is one on the latest dining additions to Finn Hall. The food hall is located at 712 Main in the Jones on Main.

https://www.thesmokehtx.com/

Chef Reginald Scott (Reggie Scott) announced his forthcoming dining concept to his Instagram followers yesterday. 

The Smoke opens soon at 712 Main. The barbecue restaurant is one of a few new food stalls launching in Finn Hall food hall.

LYoxjvJ.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

More on Fire Noodz or Firenoodz in today's Houston Chronicle. It's one of several new dining additions inside food hall Finn Hall at 712 Main St.

"Fire Noodz, a spicy noodle shop created by Chris Nguyen, Sonny Nguyen and Mark Tiu serving dishes such as Thai curry ramen and fried cheesy fire balls, is the first venture since the owners left Oh My Gogi. Opening is planned in February."

In addition to the Smoke and Fire Noodz, the team behind Craft Burger are opening another food stall at Finn Hall:

"Shannen and Stacey Tune, owners of Craft Burger, will open Carol Kay’s, a restaurant incorporating Southern and Caribbean cuisine, in February."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/finn-hall-downtown-houston-lionstone-retail-17700484.php

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

New dining options are on the way to Finn Hall. One is Three Keys Coffee Bar. The other is Artistry, a sandwich eatery serving paninis.  

The food hall is located in the Jones at Main at 712 Main St.

https://www.instagram.com/threekeyscoffee/

https://www.artistryhouston.com/
https://www.instagram.com/artistryhouston/

Good to have another coffee option.  The Greenway coffee at the Finn food court has been my go-to lately, since The Star no longer has free coffee, and lately I find my usual Starbucks drink too sugary for some reason.

Hopefully the sandwich joint works out, too.  Most of the food options at Finn try too hard.  They take good food and turn it into nothing more than a big pile of mismatched ingredients because they're doing too much while trying to be as pretentious as their neighbors.  If you have good food, let the food speak for itself.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Three Keys is open.  It actually replaced, not supplemented Greenway Coffee.  Word around the food court is that Greenway's lease expired, but no one is sure if it jumped or was pushed.  Strangely, Three Keys operates in the opposite direction as Greenway — the ordering area is now the pick-up area, and the pick-up area is now the ordering area.  This is actually an improvement.  Greenway was always counter-intuitive because instead of having the front of the joint face the building entrance, you had to circle around to the back.  Reducing friction is key to getting new customers.

The baristas are unusually eager (for Houston) to serve, which is nice.   The one I spoke with said that it's been a roasting company for years, and this is its first retail location.  I will do what I can to help it out, but I already drink at least six cups of coffee a day.

The Three Keys menu is a little brief.  Perhaps it will expand when it gets settled in.  I'm not sure I was supposed to take the menu, but here it is:

IMG_8308.jpeg

49287E1F-AE36-42F6-BB6D-337B1EBE4BFA_1_105_c.jpeg

Also new (to me) is Carol Kay Cafe.  I know nothing about it other than it occupies the space that was once occupied by a place that didn't have physical menus, and if you brought a book with you to lunch instead of a telephone, they looked at you like you were from Mars and refused to serve you.

IMG_8304.jpeg

• Like 7

• The title was changed to The Jones On Main: Office Building At 708/712 Main St.
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to The Jones On Main: Office Building At 708/712 Main St.