Baba Yega At 2607 Grant St.

trymahjong

from the MMD meeting

Announcement that Fred Sharifi purchased Baba yega  and 5 other properties in the Grant/Missiouri/Crocker street area--

Also that Victoria Cohen(SEC) owner of property at Gray and Stanford were considering building 8 story condominum at that site

2 hours ago, trymahjong said:

Also that Victoria Cohen(SEC) owner of property at Gray and Stanford were considering building 8 story condominum at that site

I assume this would be the lot on the NW corner that has the Stop and Shop, Pinks and Dry Cleaners?

There is no record for the property that would be 700-712 West Gray on HCAD that I can find...

4 hours ago, skwatra said:

Also (maybe related) something I have been curious about, Cecils (600 W Gray just east of Stanford) has had a for sale sign up for a month or so now. Asking the bartenders they say they can't talk about it.

There was a piece in the Chron about this a couple of months ago:

http://www.chron.com/cocktail-hour/article/Neighborhood-mainstay-Cecil-s-Pub-for-sale-in-7965442.php

I could swear I saw another piece somewhere about its imminent closure, but I can't find any reference to that now, so I may be mistaken. I was never really a serious regular at Cecil's, but I hung out there occasionally back in the day and remember its sister/predecessor establishment Blythe Spirits well. It would be a shame if a sale results in something else replacing it.

• 2 years later...
7 hours ago, trymahjong said:

Oh my

thr 3 closest houses on  east side of Crocker were purchased by Baba yoga owners this year.

Also the former Montrose Mining Company. Also five accounts on Grant, the above mentioned three on Crocker, and 1002 Missouri.

Edited by dbigtex56
revised

9 hours ago, HoustonMidtown said:

Looks more damaged than destroyed to me, especially considering that the owners say they're planning on reopening early next year.
At least Channel 2's website got the location right. On their 5:00 news broadcast tonight, it was identified as a downtown restaurant.

• 8 months later...

I am not sure how damaged it was by the fire...but they completely gutted out that main building show above...drove by there recently and the whole floor was even removed...so this portion at least is going to be brand new! it looks nice! miss that place

Edited by gene
  • Like 2

• The title was changed to Baba Yega has new owners? New construction at Gray and Stanford.
  • 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Good news for Baba Yega fans!

https://houston.eater.com/2021/6/14/22533581/baba-yega-montrose-reopening-after-fire

Longtime Montrose cafe Baba Yega will reopen this fall, almost three years after a fire destroyed the historic bungalow that houses the restaurant.

Permits filed earlier this month with the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission indicate that the restaurant is getting closer to reopening. A representative for the restaurant’s owners confirmed that Baba Yega is aiming for a return in the Fall of 2021, though no more specific timeline has been set just yet. The restaurant has been closed since Friday, December 7, 2018.

At around 9 p.m. that night, while the restaurant was still serving customers, a fire broke out near the front entrance, causing extensive damage to the roof, according to the Houston Chronicle. Though the restaurant was still open, no one was hurt in the blaze. A cause for the fire has not been named.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Baba Yega Has New Owners? New Construction At Gray And Stanford
  • 6 months later...

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/most-anticipated-new-restaurants-bars-opening-2023/

Baba Yega Café
Shuttered since 2018 after being damaged by a fire, the Montrose institution will return this summer. Executive chef Sue Nowamooz has updated the Mediterranean-inspired menu and added an all-new roster of plant-based options. Houston’s Gin Design Group has remodeled the space to include a beer garden, a lounge, and an internal courtyard that will host the restaurant’s signature Sunday brunch.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...

"Longtime Montrose favorite Baba Yega Café is finally – and quite literally – emerging from the ashes more than four years after a fire shuttered the popular Houston brunch spot.

A representative from Baba Yega confirmed the eatery, located at 2607 Grant Street, is getting closer to reopening by late spring/summer 2023."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/retail/article/montrose-brunch-restaurant-baba-yega-reopen-fire-17777706.php

EW4GbUO.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Baba Yega At 2607 Grant St.
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

"Baba Yega's Nousha Nowamooz and her mother, chef and co-owner Sue Nowamooz, explain that an electrical fire took place early in the morning of August 19. While no one was hurt, the damage has delayed the restaurant’s reopening until “the end of the first quarter in 2024,” according to a statement."

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/baba-yega-reopening-delay-renovations-fire-2024/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

good lord....sounds like another excuse but glad no one was hurt...this is taking forrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! I saw my post up there in Jan 2021 saying good news it is being remodeled haha! 

Edited by gene

• 5 months later...