20 hours ago, gclass said:

^^^ there were those that often stated the EXACT SAME SENTIMENT regarding the ^^^ above hotel masterpiece as your particular "quote".  however, this particular HOUSTON property is now garnering 5***** very prestigious stars in basically every hospitality category.  trust me, if you DENOUNCE THE NAYSAYERS and actually take the initiative to build/construct within our fair CITY OF HOUSTON... you will very often end up a WINNER! 

It appears you're handling the marketing for this project. At least here on HAIF. 🙄

11 hours ago, Avossos said:

I doubt any developers would extend the construction time on purpose, especially when they can’t realize the revenue from the ones they did sell... 

im glad we are getting this building. I think it’s one of the more interesting projects we have going.

If the construction loan is due when the building is finished and they haven't sold enough to pay off the loan, they could slow down the construction.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, db650 said:

If the construction loan is due when the building is finished and they haven't sold enough to pay off the loan, they could slow down the construction.

Its not like this is unheard of, but that would be a dumb move by the GC. Everyday spent on one job is another day not spent on another job. Besides, normally if a job slows down its because of either lead time on materials, or a GC dumber than a bag of hammers. Not exactly from malevolence. 

• Like 2

On 6/23/2019 at 1:09 PM, bobruss said:

Those townhouses were designed by a very respected architecture professor who I studied with at U of Houston named Burdette Keeland.

He also worked in the city planning department  for  years. He was a modernist and a very popular architect. I like them also.

He was a very good teacher. 

There is a design laboratory named after him on campus now.  It opened shortly before I finished up there.  Was the old band annex (or warehouse) adjacent to the CoArch now it is a modeling workshop.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arche_757 said:

There is a design laboratory named after him on campus now.  It opened shortly before I finished up there.  Was the old band annex (or warehouse) adjacent to the CoArch now it is a modeling workshop.  

I attended back in the late 60's early 70's and we had classes in an old one story dilapidated building with a two story annex that classes were held in also.This was just across a lawn behind the old cougar den before they added the underground section. The one story building housed most of the undergraduate studios library and some class rooms, and the other two story building had the offices and some fourth and fifth year classes. This was a tumultuous time at the architecture school. My freshman year was sort of the day of awakening with part of the southcoaast crew graduating that spring and anarchy running rampant in the school. Everyone wore adios Dean George buttons and there was a war going on in the  school to get rid of him. He was hung in effigy, the  smell of marijuana wafting through the area all of the time. Inflatables were just starting to be made by southcoaast members, and Andy Anderson would have his structures classes building some kind of odd structural elements. We built Towers of Babel out of 4' x 8' cardboard sheets that had to be 8 feet tall, that had to hold our whole team on top. I remember the first free festival that was held outside the building where they had added a silo  to the side of the old building for crits. Bands would play and food was cooked on open fires.They had strung large rope structures between the pines that were just outside the silo, with people climbing all over them. I was in a whole new world and it was amazing.  The dean was finally ousted and everything finally settled down. It was a completely crazy scene with all night project parties before crits and loud music playing all of the time.

The Vietnam war was just really getting started so there was already an air of defiance and anger in the air. Crazy times the sixties.

• Like 5

Sounds much more memorable than my years at the CoArch.  The only similarities were the wars (sadly enough).  Vietnam for you, and the Iraq war following September 11th for me.  Suffice to say the general mood at the college was one of quiet unease /borderline marginal discomfort.  Nothing close to the atmosphere you recalled from the years you spent there.  People were either skeptical or quietly “ok” with what was happening in the Persian Gulf.  Of course there was no draft... so, yeah.

And Joe Mashburn had pretty much turned around the CoArch.  UH had (at the time) one of the highest rated accredited architectural schools in the country, largely due to him and his staff.  I remember some profs who were there to review and approve the accreditation (as it was up for renewal) commented that “what UH was doing was something they wanted to emulate back at their own campus”.

I can’t recall but I think the schools who sent staff to review our accreditation were: University of Miami, Cornell and some other university.  Two of those are well regarded for various reasons.  So it was a worthy compliment.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 10/19/2019 at 10:16 PM, db650 said:

This one really slowed down. I speculated earlier in year it was due to poor sales but people pushed back. What’s going on here?

25 minutes ago, Darb64 said:

Is it a bad sign that the scaffolding is coming down before the siding is complete?  

Might be trouble with the contractor or with lead time on materials is my guess, but its only a guess. Could be something to do with sales, but they are already so deep into a project that it gets more expensive the more days a project goes unfinished.

EDIT: I also say lead-times with materials because there are people on site working. I saw bricklayers on site a couple days ago. They don't necessarily need scaffolding to put up the metal panel.

Edited by Luminare
further clarification
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...