Brookhollow Marketplace At 4500 Dacoma St.

Mab

1 hour ago, Purpledevil said:

Neat map, Ross. Thanks for posting that. The inquisitive side of me wonders what the HLSR had in mind for use of that property originally? Headquarters, I presume?

Just to keep the good Tiger up to speed, Northwest Freeway is actually U.S. 290 not Texas 288. Looks like a simple typo by our fellow HAIFer Ross, but I thought that might need a little clarification.

Edit to add: As an aside, it's interesting to me to see the map use the term "Northwest Freeway" and to see the freeway laid out in full over Dacoma. The Northwest Freeway was merely a stub that terminated at Dacoma (perhaps it was at Mangum?) up until I was in my late teens. Interesting to note that this map, which would predate the expansion of U.S. 290 past the original stub by some 15 years, shows a full fledged freeway already planned out, documented, and mapped in 1967, when it didn't actually exist at the time.

The 288 reference was for the house where the folks who sold the property to the rodeo - 2115 Rosedale in 1940

2 hours ago, Purpledevil said:

Neat map, Ross. Thanks for posting that. The inquisitive side of me wonders what the HLSR had in mind for use of that property originally? Headquarters, I presume?

Just to keep the good Tiger up to speed, Northwest Freeway is actually U.S. 290 not Texas 288. Looks like a simple typo by our fellow HAIFer Ross, but I thought that might need a little clarification.

Edit to add: As an aside, it's interesting to me to see the map use the term "Northwest Freeway" and to see the freeway laid out in full over Dacoma. The Northwest Freeway was merely a stub that terminated at Dacoma (perhaps it was at Mangum?) up until I was in my late teens. Interesting to note that this map, which would predate the expansion of U.S. 290 past the original stub by some 15 years, shows a full fledged freeway already planned out, documented, and mapped in 1967, when it didn't actually exist at the time.

In 1967, the interchange would've already been built but would've just terminated at the frontage roads and ended at Mangum (as of January 1965), much like 225 and 610 today. Big interchange...quickly goes to frontage roads...ends at another road and not at a right angle. The highway between Mangum and Beltway 8 didn't exist, but the frontage roads from roughly where Beltway 8 is (and beyond) had been upgraded to a divided highway with a large median, because planners had predicted that urbanization would come fast and quick to Northwest Houston. It really didn't...there was plenty of activity along Interstate 10 heading west out of town toward Katy, but even in the late 1990s and early 2000s, it still felt that you didn't really reach the "Houston" area until around FM 1960. (This is of course, no longer true.)

If the platting map is correct, Brookhollow of Houston had it replatted to its current state before selling it to Humble. I just remembered that despite my scan of Houston Today I got from another source is quite garbage when it comes to the Brookhollow map unfortunately but I did remember to take a picture of the page with my phone, seen here. The striped area is the hotel (Sheraton, but a Marriott in the 1980s), and that seems to confirm that maybe what happened is that Brookhollow bought the land, and redrew the plats to the future tenants of the business park, which were then actually sold to them.

1 hour ago, Ross said:

The 288 reference was for the house where the folks who sold the property to the rodeo - 2115 Rosedale in 1940

I see now. Looks like I'm the one who needed some clarification, Ross.

1 hour ago, IronTiger said:

In 1967, the interchange would've already been built but would've just terminated at the frontage roads and ended at Mangum (as of January 1965), much like 225 and 610 today. Big interchange...quickly goes to frontage roads...ends at another road and not at a right angle. The highway between Mangum and Beltway 8 didn't exist, but the frontage roads from roughly where Beltway 8 is (and beyond) had been upgraded to a divided highway with a large median, because planners had predicted that urbanization would come fast and quick to Northwest Houston. It really didn't...there was plenty of activity along Interstate 10 heading west out of town toward Katy, but even in the late 1990s and early 2000s, it still felt that you didn't really reach the "Houston" area until around FM 1960. (This is of course, no longer true.)

If the platting map is correct, Brookhollow of Houston had it replatted to its current state before selling it to Humble. I just remembered that despite my scan of Houston Today I got from another source is quite garbage when it comes to the Brookhollow map unfortunately but I did remember to take a picture of the page with my phone, seen here. The striped area is the hotel (Sheraton, but a Marriott in the 1980s), and that seems to confirm that maybe what happened is that Brookhollow bought the land, and redrew the plats to the future tenants of the business park, which were then actually sold to them.

Could you PM me a link of where you went to obtain this information on 290's infancy, Tiger? I distinctly remember a divided highway after Mangum, and I want to say it ran clear up to Cypress. After Cypress, the median went away and that old section of 290 (now business 290) is what it became afterwards. 290 in Houston, as I recall, was built in the median directly between the two double lane roads around 1981, maybe 1982. Now, I'm a little nuts, but I don't think I've taken the dive off into the deep end of crazy yet. My folks used this route to get to my grandparent's place in Bellville, and this would have been in the 70s. I didn't start taking the I-10 to Texas 36 route to get to granddaddy's until I was driving myself in the mid 80s.

Gracias, mi amigo.

Edit to add: Never mind, I see you linked the map in your post above. Have you ever found anything further on the more northern portions of the Northwest, between 8 and 34th? I know you have become quite the encyclopedia of knowledge on that particular highway since the construction began.

12 hours ago, Purpledevil said:

I see now. Looks like I'm the one who needed some clarification, Ross.

Could you PM me a link of where you went to obtain this information on 290's infancy, Tiger? I distinctly remember a divided highway after Mangum, and I want to say it ran clear up to Cypress. After Cypress, the median went away and that old section of 290 (now business 290) is what it became afterwards. 290 in Houston, as I recall, was built in the median directly between the two double lane roads around 1981, maybe 1982. Now, I'm a little nuts, but I don't think I've taken the dive off into the deep end of crazy yet. My folks used this route to get to my grandparent's place in Bellville, and this would have been in the 70s. I didn't start taking the I-10 to Texas 36 route to get to granddaddy's until I was driving myself in the mid 80s.

Gracias, mi amigo.

Edit to add: Never mind, I see you linked the map in your post above. Have you ever found anything further on the more northern portions of the Northwest, between 8 and 34th? I know you have become quite the encyclopedia of knowledge on that particular highway since the construction began.

The information on US-290's history is actually derived from Houston Freeways, which I would call require reading on Houston's history ([url=http://dallasfreeways.com/dfwfreeways/pdf/CH4_spokes_pp184-271_72.pdf]"The Spokes" chapter, which includes a picture of the 1965 setup...page 99 of the PDF[/url]). The book includes when the frontage roads were added, and mentions that the frontage roads for US-290's original right of way had been built out to Cy-Fair High School, even in the 1960s!

You're not crazy...the Northwest Freeway stub from the highway terminated near Mangum for years, but Hempstead Highway had been upgraded with a divided frontage road also during that time. The highway wasn't even contiguous until 1975, and the "freeway" as we know it wasn't even done until the late 1970s and early 1980s, and that was just the part inside Beltway 8. With slow development like that, you can tell why even in 2003 it seemed like near Beltway 8 was the "real" start of Houston!

The frontage roads were extended several times during the 70s, first to 34th, then to Pinemont, etc., with the freeway following a few years later.  The freeway merged into Hempstead Highway at Jersey Village, underneath what is now the 290/8 interchange.  Originally 8 was mapped to go through Jersey Village; local opposition (probably mixed with some "development opportunities" put together by the right people) caused it to be rerouted to the east.

19 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Is it possible the property was donated to the Rodeo?

It's possible. The documents for the transfer to the Rodeo aren't online. If I get a chance when I am on vacation in December, I will go down to the courthouse and see what it says. The Lamairs must have done well in their business to acquire 80 acres in that part of town, even if it was "way out" at the time.

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Exxon Mobil Brookhollow Sold For Retail
  • 4 weeks later...

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2020/01/23/redevelopment-of-former-exxon-mobil-site-in.html

A new retail development is about to rise on the site of Exxon Mobil Corp.'s former Brookhollow campus.

Houston-based Fidelis Realty Partners purchased the property in 2016, and demolition is now complete, according to a press release. The site is at the corner of Highway 290 and Dacoma Street.

Construction of the 200,000-square-foot shopping center — dubbed Brookhollow Marketplace — is underway. LSI General Contractors is the general contractor, and the architect is Boucher Design Group. Fidelis is handling leasing in-house.

Tenants slated for the project include Burlington, Michaels, Ross, T.J.Maxx, Ulta, Old Navy, Rack Room Shoes and Five Below. An 80,000-square-foot Floor & Decor will be east of the power center, and an additional 38,000 square feet of inline space will feature dining, health and beauty, medical, and service tenants.

Retailers are expected to begin opening in Brookhollow Marketplace this fall.

Brookhollow Marketplace will be the largest shopping center in a 3-mile radius, said Lynn Davis, co-president and chief leasing and development officer for Fidelis. The project is expected to draw shoppers from the nearby communities of Oak Forest and Garden Oaks as well as daily local traffic. The release also notes that freeway access has been adjusted in the area, which will help with accessing Brookhollow Marketplace.

The proposed high-speed rail line between Houston and Dallas also is expected to benefit Brookhollow Marketplace. The nearby Northwest Mall has been selected as the preferred site for Houston's station. The project is expected to include roadway improvements plus generate additional jobs and likely additional housing needs.

• The title was changed to Brookhollow Marketplace
  • The title was changed to Brookhollow Marketplace Developments
  • The title was changed to Brookhollow Marketplace At 4500 Dacoma St.

Archived