Henry Brashear Building At 910 Prairie St.

Nate99

• 8 months later...
7 hours ago, Triton said:

Place closed down. The construction from the Texas Tower placed barriers in front of the parking at this spot. Apparently, they'll be moving to Lancaster Hotel over the next few weeks.

I talked to the guy when I stopped in once, super friendly, hopefully the Lancaster deal works out for him. With construction on both sides of Prairie a block up and it not being really on a well travelled path, I'm not surprised it didn't make it. It had been vacant for years, and you could be forgiven if you didn't notice that it was occupied. It took months for the guy's sign to get approved because of some historic designation too. 

Once the two Hines towers are done, it could be a good spot, but I wouldn't expect anything in the meantime. 

I'm not a big coffee drinker but how often do people go into a hotel they're not staying to get coffee?  Also looking on the Lancaster Facebook page looks like they just re-branded their in house coffee bar last year to Speedy Boy Coffee.

12 minutes ago, Texasota said:

Honestly this place never looked that appealing. A good coffee shop is *very* difficult to get just right, and this just lacked personality. 

I think if this was in town some years before the boom then it would have done alright. The competition for coffee houses is pretty fierce now. They are everywhere and they bringing unique aesthetics that aren't centered around "pretend you are in italy or Europe". The coffee scene is very vibrant now. We've come a long way when most peoples first thoughts about coffee here in town was Starbucks.

Cafe Firenze was good but did have some issues.  They had very limited food and basically no breakfast.  They had a nice place that did lack any real personality (it didn’t feel built for business and working, studying, or relaxing).  Finally they didn’t have a bunch of visibility.  All of that said, they did have good coffee and were super nice, I’m still sad to see it go.  The best coffee in downtown right now is down the road at the shoe store The Tipping Point.  Try it out.

On 8/27/2019 at 11:50 PM, Triton said:

Place closed down. The construction from the Texas Tower placed barriers in front of the parking at this spot. Apparently, they'll be moving to Lancaster Hotel over the next few weeks.

Owner and staff are really nice.  Glad to see they are finding a new home.

• The title was changed to Henry Brashear Building At 910 Prairie St.

Archived