What is the longest road in Houston? And Which is the busiest?

Okay as you can see this is a two part question.

1) What is the longest road in Houston?

2) What is the busiest road in Houston?

Is it probably safe to say that Westheimer holds the title for both of these?

Thoughts?

I define your criteria for "longest".... Does the street have to have the exact same name for the entire route? If so, then Westhiemer, since it changes names.... Elgin, Westheimer RD, Westheimer Parkway, 1093... might not be it.

Another idea (I don't know how long it is.....) would be Bissonnet. Medical center to a mile or two shy of the grand parkway. Continuous. One name.

I define your criteria for "longest".... Does the street have to have the exact same name for the entire route? If so, then Westhiemer, since it changes names.... Elgin, Westheimer RD, Westheimer Parkway, 1093... might not be it.

Another idea (I don't know how long it is.....) would be Bissonnet. Medical center to a mile or two shy of the grand parkway. Continuous. One name.

are we counting major turns in the road? Cause pin oak road turns into westheimer turns into elgin turns into lockwood. pin oak starts at I-10 outside of 99. lockwood doesn't terminate until tidwell.

of course, if we're counting name changes, why not count freeways too, in which case, I-10 wins, cause it goes all the way from the Pacific Coast to Atlantic Coast. It's definitely the longest road that passes through Houston.

If we're talking about surface streets - Main?  It goes from just north of Crosstimbers all the way around and out past Sugar Land.

I'd hazard the guess that Westheimer is busiest.

Little York from point to point is about 29 miles. Bellfort from its eastern point at 45 to its western point just past the Grand Parkway is just under 31 miles per Google maps. If we're including roads that change names, Clay Rd/W.43rd/Crosstimbers/Ley Rd/Green River Dr. is 41 miles from near Beaumont Highway and BW 8 to western Harris county past Katy.

Little York from point to point is about 29 miles. Bellfort from its eastern point at 45 to its western point just past the Grand Parkway is just under 31 miles per Google maps. If we're including roads that change names, Clay Rd/W.43rd/Crosstimbers/Ley Rd/Green River Dr. is 41 miles from near Beaumont Highway and BW 8 to western Harris county past Katy.

I just always figured it was Little York. Had no idea Bellfort was that long of a road. Interesting. And while I've been on each of the Clay Rd/W.43rd/Crosstimbers/Ley Rd/Green River Dr.  streets separately at one time or another, I did not realize they were all connected. Thank you for sharing!

I just always figured it was Little York. Had no idea Bellfort was that long of a road. Interesting. And while I've been on each of the Clay Rd/W.43rd/Crosstimbers/Ley Rd/Green River Dr. streets separately at one time or another, I did not realize they were all connected. Thank you for sharing!

Little York is broken up though so it's not continuous from east Beltway 8 to the Grand Parkway so that's why its shorter I think.

Little York is one continuous road, it's not broken up. read a map. :)

I think there was a segment near the East Belt that goes nowhere. Right now, I can't check, because ironically I'm IN Houston, but I'll tell you when I get home.

• 3 weeks later...

I was really talking about Road that carry the same name throughout the course of their span (excluding the name changes). Roads that go through various name changes don't count as the same road in my book.

Yes Little York road is a beast! It stretches all the way from Katy/Cy-Fair all the way out east. Didn't realize that.

So does Westheimer hold the title as the busiest?

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, in case you didn't click the link, Little York is the longest and The Art Guys walked the whole thing, so yes, it's continuous.

The continuous section of Little York may well be the longest, but Little York as a whole is not continous.  Why are you folks ignoring the segment off the East Belt?

The continuous section of Little York may well be the longest, but Little York as a whole is not continous.  Why are you folks ignoring the segment off the East Belt?

Because the question in the OP is about the longest road in Houston. Little York is the longest continuous road even if we disqualify the East Belt portion.

Archived