The Moderne Rice Village: Condominiums At 2406 Tangley St.

Urbannizer

This is a great midrise. It's a nice transition from the ten story Hanover  to the three and two story neighborhood.

So crisp and clean. Charles Schorre would  be proud!

I  see this part of the Village becoming a neighborhood of midrise residential towers and hopefully a nice Boutique Hotel.

Add a grocery store and a park and you could have the most desirable walkable neighborhood in Houston.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This reminds me of some of Gropius work and the Bauhaus movement. I really like this building and so glad they were able to work things out and get it built.

Our gallery is just around the corner on Sunset so I walk by here all of the time and it really is coming along.

• 1 month later...

Cameron Armstrong who along with the Schorre's designed this residential tower. Cameron is well know  for his work in the Washington Avenue Shepherd corridor 

where he first started designing homes with corrugated tin siding. He really got the ball rolling. If you aren't familiar with the area you can see quite a few examples of his work in the neighborhood.

The very first tin house was built for Fredricka Hunter, who opened Texas Gallery, one of Houston's oldest and finest galleries.

North of MemoriaL Drive up to Washington ave. Both east and west on all streets like Gibson, Blossom, Dickson, all the way over to Westcott.

As a matter of fact this is where the first corrugated townhouses by Larry Davis were built.

Natalie Appel has designed some in the area, but probably the most famous one is El Tiemplito by Architect and zany guy named Frank Zeni, on Floyd street.

It is extremely wide open and he has gargoyles on the corners. Oversized corrugated columns frame the main opening which features a large open air pavilion. The actual living space is enclosed farther inside the structure. I met him back in 91 when I was looking at property over there and he gave me the tour and we had an interesting visit.

I'd call this finished but wonder what's the deal with the 2 rusty pipes holding up the eastern second floor balcony and wonder if the that western portion will be painted white too? Hopefully nobody opens the doors on the second floor on the west side unless they have a parachute.

GdwClaY.jpg

zw5qTL7.jpg

ojpDw4F.jpg

d8lc16O.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

@hindesky 

My suspicion/speculation is that they are a tad worried about the structural integrity of that lower canopy. I would be as well. Seems to be a little flimsy. Its not concrete like the other overhang canopies on the ground floor. They have probably added those rods as bracing till a permanent solution is found. I actually thought before hand that something even worse was the case that the balcony above was what was being braced. I'm sure there is a back and forth going on between disciplines on who's fault it is.

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to The Moderne at Rice Village: 7-Story Condo Building at 2406 Tangley
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like the market has spoken. None of the units have sold. The units are a bit small and the lower units don’t have great views. And most of the windows are open to the Hanover side, not giving much privacy. Another mistake is that the parking is open, people that can afford million dollar homes drive nice cars that probably want it protected from the elements. Shame, it’s actually built well. 

The location is great, but when they are asking $0-9-1.2 million for a 2 bedroom unit with no view, or $1.3-1.6 million for the same size unit with a view but way too few windows, plus add $1000 per month for maintenance, and then don't even have indoor parking (two spots in an outdoor, but gated and covered, parking area), I can't see many people willing to pay that.  I really wonder if the developers were thinking this through when they designed it; clearly the original developer didn't since they had to pass it on to another company to finish it.  At the very least they should have finished off a rooftop patio (perhaps even with a small pool) for all 6 residents to share, and maybe that would have made it a bit more special.

Starting at about 350 a square foot, these are competitively priced for a mid-rise in this location with these finishes. HOAs at under .40 per square foot is also cheap. The problem, in my opinion, is the very small size of the building. It makes it impossible to support any amenities and adds a lot of risk. One bad neighbor tanks the building. I agree about the poorly designed parking. It seems like this one is destined to fold. Interestingly, the other condo building in the Village, The Robinhood, has struggled for much of its existence. The Village seems like a prime spot for these developments but they don’t seem to do well. Randall Davis wanted to put up a Chateau Ten midrise just behind Chocolate Bar but that project was scrapped. With all of the restaurants, shops, etc, I’m surprised this location is not  working out too well. 

This can be summed up easily. Why pay $1m for a condo here when you can have better views, amenities, more seclusion, and proximity to luxury establishments at places like The RO on Westheimer, The Wilshire/Arabella on Westcreek, Higland Tower on Bancroft, or any of the other condo buildings near RO or in Uptown? Rice village caters to university students and middle class shoppers, and has very little night life and high-end restaurants/shopping that prospective buyers in the price range are turned on to. 

2 minutes ago, LBC2HTX said:

This can be summed up easily. Why pay $1m for a condo here when you can have better views, amenities, more seclusion, and proximity to luxury establishments at places like The RO on Westheimer, The Wilshire/Arabella on Westcreek, Higland Tower on Bancroft, or any of the other condo buildings near RO or in Uptown? Rice village caters to university students and middle class shoppers, and has very little night life and high-end restaurants/shopping that prospective buyers in the price range are turned on to. 

The RO and the Wiltshire are something like 40 percent more money per square foot. Arabella is a Randall Davis building which means it’s already depreciated substantially so you can get a less expensive unit there but still more than Moderne.

1 hour ago, LBC2HTX said:

Can’t really compare price per sqft for units in a 7 story mid-rise to a 17 story high rise. Higher floors always command a higher price.

Here’s a unit on fourth floor for $686 per square foot in The River Oaks.

https://www.har.com/homedetail/3433-westheimer-406/13596169

and here’s a unit on the fourth floor at The Moderne for $451 per square foot.

https://www.har.com/homedetail/2406-tangley-400/13781462

The RO is more than 50 percent expensive per square foot.

My point is The Moderne buyer is not the same as The River Oaks buyer. True luxurious buildings are not siphoning off demand for this project. It is probably nice town homes that are competing.

I don't think the Rice Village area is that down market from River Oaks. I mean its sandwiched between Southampton and West U. That's some of the richest areas in all of Texas. Its probably more design choices. The interiors look super builder to me. I would convert 2 units and make them into one and gut the living floor to be wide open. And fix the parking.

The floor plans are not great. I toured right before I moved from Southampton to L.A. and the units are just odd. The views are not great unless you are on the top two floors and even then they are moo. Quite honestly, the interior finished at the apartment across the street seemed nicer.

8 minutes ago, KinkaidAlum said:

The floor plans are not great. I toured right before I moved from Southampton to L.A. and the units are just odd. The views are not great unless you are on the top two floors and even then they are moo. Quite honestly, the interior finished at the apartment across the street seemed nicer.

You're in Los Angeles now?

Archived