Improvements Coming To Allen Parkway

Urbannizer

3 minutes ago, samagon said:

it's a weird choice to meter when there's a huge free lot over behind sawyer lofts. Guess people will pay that dollar so they don't have to walk very far so they can jog.

It's also more heavily trafficked and out in the open, which suggests less of a crime threat.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/3/2016 at 10:13 AM, Triton said:

Yea that was definitely NOT open yesterday. All the barriers were still up and my stupid self hopped the curb because I saw a car in front of me do the samething thinking that was perhaps an entrance. Was a smooth curb but still a curb none the less. Anyway, me and a few others were stuck behind the barriers at the exit and someone had to move the giant cone out of the way to allow traffic to leave. The real entrances are still blocked off.

And yes, they will be metered. They have signs everywhere that they will be metered on the weekends too.

Looks like they closed off the curbed driveway that I accidentally drove on. Still closed as of this weekend with even more barriers now. Guess they are waiting for the meters before they officially open it.

On 10/10/2016 at 9:50 AM, samagon said:

it's a weird choice to meter when there's a huge free lot over behind sawyer lofts. Guess people will pay that dollar so they don't have to walk very far so they can jog.

Are you talking about the Target et al parking lot?  What's the best bike route to go from there to Buffalo Bayou Park?  Just got a new urban assault bike and am itching to ride the Heights and Buffalo Bayou trails.

3 minutes ago, august948 said:

Are you talking about the Target et al parking lot?  What's the best bike route to go from there to Buffalo Bayou Park?  Just got a new urban assault bike and am itching to ride the Heights and Buffalo Bayou trails.

there's a parking lot bounded by Sabine street, Memorial, and Houston ave.

23 minutes ago, kylejack said:

Yeah, but you said Sawyer Lofts. I think you meant the Marquis Lofts on Sabine, formerly known as Sabine Street Lofts.

Hey Kyle, when's the deadline on getting in those emails for the bike plan?

There's a new construction project to connect White Oak and Buffalo Bayou trails at UHD. It's currently underway, just broke ground a few weeks ago, as well as one to add the Castillo Center to White Oak Trail. For now you can take Girard to the sidewalks along Travis to get between the trails.

On 10/12/2016 at 11:31 PM, kylejack said:

There's a new construction project to connect White Oak and Buffalo Bayou trails at UHD. It's currently underway, just broke ground a few weeks ago, as well as one to add the Castillo Center to White Oak Trail. For now you can take Girard to the sidewalks along Travis to get between the trails.

Is this it - this is going on right behind UHD and the Heights Bike trail

29688657434_3efbd5e348_z.jpg

On 10/14/2016 at 8:43 AM, HoustonMidtown said:

Is this it - this is going on right behind UHD and the Heights Bike trail

29688657434_3efbd5e348_z.jpg

Yes, that's part of what they're doing right now... but the connection to the Buffalo Bayou trail will be on the opposite bank. Also note the Castillo Center connection that they're almost done with at the top of this map.

CmIeZU3UkAA56qA.jpg

5 hours ago, Sunstar said:

Parking spaces on Allen Parkway are open. I drove by this weekend and open spaces were very few. They were having the KBR kids festival, so that probably had a lot to do with it. 

So the barriers are actually removed this time?

1 hour ago, Triton said:

So the barriers are actually removed this time?

I rode my bike through - some of the barriers were moved, but I don't think they were "officially" moved....they appeared to be just moved out of the way

The meters weren't in place yet either....

Plenty of people parked there today. Barriers were still up yesterday and partially moved today. The meters are installed but they have covers over them.

On Friday workers were out planting transported young trees that were at the same maturity as the ones already there.

I have to say, having this buffer of the parking lane there is really nice, makes the ride/walk more serene having that separation between what used to be 45 mph traffic. One thing I wish they did was put up an traffic light when facing southbound headed across Allen to Taft. No traffic can come this way and there is a good pedestrian crosswalk and pedestrian light. But when I'm on my bike I'm not going to hit the crosswalk button and I can't tell the status of the vehicle light.

Overall its looking really nice

On 10/30/2016 at 10:34 AM, HoustonMidtown said:

Looks like the parking area is officially open - the cones/barrels are all gone and the meters aren't covered anymore....

Yup! Can confirm.... I'll probably go running there tonight after work!

On 10/31/2016 at 0:03 PM, Triton said:

Looks like an earlier TXDOT link provided here is so longer working. When is this new on-ramp supposed to be finished?

I wonder if the emergency demolition and re-construction of the W. Dallas overpass will delay the on-ramp opening? The overpass got damaged to the point of impacting the structure's integrity by a too-tall load in September. http://www.chron.com/news/transportation/article/Bridge-hit-finally-hits-I-45-drivers-with-closing-10590585.php

On 11/4/2016 at 0:46 AM, JLWM8609 said:

I wonder if the emergency demolition and re-construction of the W. Dallas overpass will delay the on-ramp opening? 

My guess is probably not; if anything, it might help it along a bit by having all that freeway traffic out of the way.

That curve into the ramp sure looks like a nice memorial to the old Merge Of Death arrangement.

Archived